cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Design Quality

ajacobs1112
Explorer
Explorer
HI all, I have a large fifth wheel looking at a smaller Grand Design Reflection fiver. I don't want controversy over this question, but rather looking for those who own or have owned GD products to see if the quality of product as well as service are what I have heard them to be which is outstanding compared to other companies. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Allen
52 REPLIES 52

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
cwilder wrote:
We purchased our GD 260RD in March, 2021 took delivery April, 2021 - went camping one time (June 11, 2021) came home & slide wouldn't go back out. Its been at the dealer since. Got parts then needed more parts. These parts come from various manufactures that GD works with. Everything is under warranty but the process to get "approval" is stupid. It's a brand new RV...just how long should approval take. Bottom line is this all this falls on GD and their quality control measures. A brand new RV should not be having these problems. Also if they had listened to the dealer in the first place and approved the parts the dealer said was needed, we wouldn't be waiting on more parts.
I'm very disappointed with this RV. If I'm lucky enough to get it back for a planned trip to Maine I will be selling it as soon as I get home.

Sorry to hear of your troubles but that's typical of INSERT BRAND NAME HERE. it's not like buying a Ford from a Ford dealer, or any other car brand for that matter where that's all they work on and either have the parts or can usually get them in a day. It's not uncommon to wait weeks or months for warranty work that is then done incorrectly.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, the Grand Design Momentum 351M is on our short-short list for toyhaulers, so I hope the quality is decent still. It certainly ticks all the boxes for us.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL. We like it very much. Two years ago we took the trailer to the factory for some work on the bedroom slide. While the trailer was at the factory they did an inspection of the trailer and found out that the kitchen slide had issues too. Then they said something magical: they said, if we would bring the trailer back down to them and leave it for a couple weeks, they would repair the kitchen slide for FREE. They explained that the problem with the kitchen slide was the result of their design flaw. At that point in time the trailer was 4 years out of warranty. They took out the kitchen slide, all the furniture in the trailer, the kitchen island, all the cabinets that were sitting on the floor and then they took out the entire floor. Once the floor was out they welded 39 braces in strategic places and put it all back together again, new flooring, new carpet etc. And charged us nothing. That is Grand Design service. The trailer is like new.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
neal10a wrote:
I think folks should discuss the engineering differences with specifics rather than generalities. How the roof, floors, sidewalls, suspension, plumping, wiring, underbelly, windows, appliances, entertainment system, factory support and etc.

All RV's are essentially hand built and no two are the same. However, if the engineering, selection of materials and appliances are sound then one has a fighting chance. It takes alot of evalution and research to determine the best personal choice.

This should be it's own post - how RV's are built by manufacturer, not which ones are prettiest. Also, what designs hold better over time. I'm often wondering why RV roofs are rubber and all seem to fail, isn't there a better way?

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
While we like our Grand Design and think it is good quality, there is one feature that impresses me. The moderators on their Tech page on the Grand Design website are all volunteers and provide great support. I run a business with a product support staff and especially appreciate the value of good support.
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new 2020 GD Reflection 31MB last February and although I've had a few minor problems, I think it is definitely better quality than the Jayco that I bought a few years ago. The most noticeable difference is that the GN tows much smoother than the Jayco. The "clucking" was so bad on the Jayco that I installed a Morryde rubber pinbox and it helped a lot. On the Reflection I didn't need to add the rubber pinbox at all. It tows much smoother. Most new trailers regardless of the manufacturer, put these things together with cheap, lightweight materials that don't hold up well.GN is no exception.

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2005 keystone cougar 244 fifth wheel brand new, owned it 13 years without a single problem, so, followed the new owners of GD because of their success with keystone thinking I'd get the same results. Wrong. We purchased an Imagine 2600rb, and immediately had undercarriage problems, namely, collapsed springs and later, bent axles, which I had to pay for out of pocket, both because of under design issues, which, in 2020, GD corrected on this model. Since, I've had trim come off, both wall panels in the bedroom have come apart, plumbing issues sliding doors that beat themselves to death while travelling.
I have more, but they're minor, generally, count me as unimpressed.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
When we decided to sell our dp coach and go back to fivers it came down to GD or Open Range 3X models. Based on floor plans the 3x had what we wanted plus 102 inch chassis. We went with the 3x and have not looked back. I can say the 3X is the coolest in the summer and warmest in the winter we have ever had.

With that being said no matter what you decide on be prepared for the simplest of things to be in need of a tweak there and a tweak here. We have had several and it always hold true.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
cwilder wrote:
We purchased our GD 260RD in March, 2021 took delivery April, 2021 - went camping one time (June 11, 2021) came home & slide wouldn't go back out. Its been at the dealer since. Got parts then needed more parts. These parts come from various manufactures that GD works with. Everything is under warranty but the process to get "approval" is stupid. It's a brand new RV...just how long should approval take. Bottom line is this all this falls on GD and their quality control measures. A brand new RV should not be having these problems. Also if they had listened to the dealer in the first place and approved the parts the dealer said was needed, we wouldn't be waiting on more parts.
I'm very disappointed with this RV. If I'm lucky enough to get it back for a planned trip to Maine I will be selling it as soon as I get home.

And maybe start the whole process over again. I suggest you hang out on all the brand forums for a couple months.
Or are you getting out of RV'ing?

cwilder
Explorer
Explorer

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Grand design does stuff better, they also do things worse than others. RV's are a mixed bag, they are very similar. Now we felt overall, floor plan and quality that GD was best for us, otherwise we wouldn't of purchased. That said, they are mostly similar for the most part but I'd put GD over some and on par with others.

I would buy a Momentum again. In fact I'd seek out the brand.

I would not buy a DRV again, even pre sale to Thor, much less after the sale.

I would buy a Newmar again.

It's a house that goes 60mph + down the road. You are going to have trouble with it at some point. We are quite pleased with the response we have received from grand design and their willingness to let me fix stuff and just send me a check. They've worked with us on the few minor issues we've had over the last 6 months and I'd buy another one in a heart beat.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line, as with many types of RVs, once purchased the owner better have the skills to do some work on them, or a check book handy to lay the repair costs these days. Kind of like a owning a British sports car back in the day, plan to spend Saturdays doing something on them. I got a good chuckle in the Owners manual of a 77 Triumph TR7 I once owned, it stated engine weepage was normal..
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
I think folks should discuss the engineering differences with specifics rather than generalities. How the roof, floors, sidewalls, suspension, plumping, wiring, underbelly, windows, appliances, entertainment system, factory support and etc.

All RV's are essentially hand built and no two are the same. However, if the engineering, selection of materials and appliances are sound then one has a fighting chance. It takes alot of evalution and research to determine the best personal choice.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
hotpepperkid wrote:
All I can say there sure is a lot of them on the roads and in campgrounds. So they must be doing something right or have a really good sales force

It may appear so, but all I can say is explain how Thor and Forest River can hold 85% market share in towables and Grand Design is in the 15% remaining along with their Winnebago acquirers and everyone else?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?