Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations for Lake Vacation in Maine

Pitts2112
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!
We're looking at doing a lake-oriented vacation in Maine this summer and have been looking at so many options that I've gotten lost. We're thinking lakes like Sebago and Long Lake, where there are reasonable sized towns and things to do nearby but we will also have easy access to a lake for swimming and kayaking, mostly.

What campgrounds or other lakes/areas would you suggest? We've looked at Acres of Wildlife, Colonial Mast, and a few others.

We're based in Mass so we can go further north if it's worth it.

Thanks!
Shawn
8 REPLIES 8

Flintstones
Explorer
Explorer
We like the Sebago-Long Lake area in and around Naples Maine. Plenty to do, great boating, places to eat, and plenty of campgrounds to choose from. Another post suggested New Hampshire lakes, we go to Danforth Bay Camping Resort in Freedom, NH and really enjoy that area as well.

Waco_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Sandy Shores in Warren Maine. It's close to Rockland, Camden, and Boothbay just to name a few. It's located on South pond. Sandy Shores ....Bruce
  • Bruce & Sandy
  • 07 Scepter 42PDQ SOLD
  • 2018 Coachmen Leprechaun 26DS Chevy

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Sebago. Right on the lake and less expensive than the "resort" on the other side.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always liked Rangley Lakes. Traditional part of the State with great lakes. Moosehead L is one of them.

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look in NH too. Some great places. Danforth Bay is right on Lake Ossipee. Great campground with lots to do near...

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
If you go further north or further inland (i.e. Moosehead Lake) you are going to lose almost any civilization type of activities. Also, remember the Lakes of Maine at times have the largest biting flies and Mosquitos known to man. Take a baseball bat or two along. I personally would do the Maine Coast instead. All the activities and whole lot less buggie (and lobsters too!!!).

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
Point sebago campground is great, a lot of stuff for the kiddos to do as well if that applies.
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Shawn

If you specifically require lake smimming then forget my replay

York River is scenic and makes good kayaking and York beach is very family friendly and very popular, check Dixons Coastal Maine Campground make a good home base for exploring the southern ME coast.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)