cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anatomy of a Window

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
This is the front window on a TC of fiberglass. There is a slight curve at the edges of the window frame.

The PO seemed to think the window had a leak so used a lot of silicone on this, even on the surface of the frame. The leak was not in the window.

I want to replace the plexiglass. I bought new glass but cannot figure how to take apart. Usually when I take out the inner frame the window assembly will pop out easily. Of course this one is sealed with 3 tubes of silicone.

The plexiglass seems to be inserted within the window frame channels. The channels have a smaller opening than the glass is big.

Is there a way to get it out without removing the entire window and pulling it apart at the seams? The curve is complicating things.

outside

inside w frame retainer removed. sorry its dark

inside

it rains every 2-3 days so the job has to be done quick and accurate or consequences
6 REPLIES 6

Terry78
Explorer
Explorer
Remove the whole window. In the top picture i can see a split in the frame. There should be another split on the other end. This would be held together by
a plate and a couple screws. The area im looking at is dead center on the top picture. Where it shows the up and down of the end of the window.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
This diagram is what I would think, but not finding this so far.

After the next rain I will bust it all out, hail mary.
It does not seem to be like this diagram. The glass seems to be behind the outside of the frame, and a middle ridge is in place making two inner channels, not the one in the diagram.

My guess is that the glass is built into the frame, so I have to pop it off camper, then unscrew where the frame meets itself screwed together, pry it open and wedge out glass.

Florida is in there somwhere. From the diagram, the glass might be below the black line (frame), not over it, and the FL gasket between glass and black line.

Looks like Thurs afternoon or Friday clears up from rain so will pop it out then unless better ideas abound

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The outside may look all frame, but I think you'll find that it's half metal frame (the outer flange) and half rubber gasket material (closer to the glass), if it's like the ones I've seen.

(The hollow white slanted-Florida-shaped bit is the gasket material; not shown is the urethane sealing and mounting the glass to the frame proper.)

If you can determine the manufacturer and model line of the window, you might be able to find some documentation online.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
hmm, well seal or not, the glass is bigger than the frame, i can dig out all the seals, but it still seems to be captured in the frame.
or is there something i can't see under all the goop? The front is just all frame, it seems to have to be removed from the back side, or by bending bending

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Pics need to be resized.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The fixed RV windows I've seen (which is far from all possible models!) generally have the glass secured and sealed with what I think is a urethane sealant and then the rubber gasket thingy put in from the outside. Removal of the glass (or plexiglass) means taking out the rubber gasket, which is more for looks and some structural strength but not really part of the sealing, and then removing the glass which probably would require cutting the sealant by sliding a razor blade or similar knife between the glass and the frame from the inside. There's no need to remove the inside trim/compression ring that holds the frame in place.

Generally the rubber gasket thingy on the outside will require replacement rather than be reusable, I believe.

This is a generally similar approach to how most auto windshields are mounted, if that helps in understanding the construction.