cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC and real off-roading

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Who has taken a full-height TC down some nasty roads, or Jeep roads where the truck leans and is at the limits of tipping the camper off or something of the sort?

I searched internet (never google), but find nothing.

I used to have a slide-in pop-up, but that does not count - light, low, and quite a useless unit for living in.
But, with a full height camper, and a desire to take the 4x4 to pristine camping spots I am curious to see what others have done.

My camper is supposed to be only 1,900lbs empty. No high interior cabinets or anything in the top 18 inches of the space except the shower head and the closet hanger. AC is currently in garage right now. So, very un-top-heavy for a TC.

I know the behemoth TCs that push 4,000lbs probably should not consider trails, but lighter models can
56 REPLIES 56

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I remember doing that in driveways back in my Class C days.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I recently got myself a pole saw for that!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
whazoo wrote:
jefe 4x4 wrote:
Whaz,
I think we've expended enough energy on this site to counterbalance the trolling mode going on here. Maybe once again it's time.
jefe

I’m with you Jefe, I’m outta here.

Right on the original topic ... here's my favorite picture of Dave Rogers (Grand Whazoo) and Mrs. Whazoo on their way to the Cosmic Ashtray ... illustrating a situation one might have to deal with even in a popup TC when trying to get way out there off-road:

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
The more 'full' size the camper the less its off-roading capabilities.
The taller, bigger and heavier rig, just that much more work to negotiate route. IE in the earlier linked TC winching video, other than that much weight stuck in the mud the real issue was potential for tipping over getting up 2' side hill drop. If it had been a pop top or a smaller hardside, even at same weight, would have been a LOT less risk. Though he went off the shoulder of road, some trails that would be the route as far as off camber.

off topic but Thanks for checking and clarifying Kayteg1, was really curious as I'd never seen that small of tubing used on Torklift inserts. And the size verses wall strength because I disagreed on the "little consequence" comment.

While increasing wall thickness will increase strength for a given size, increasing size verses wall thickness yields more strength. Then again never heard use of "schedule 60" referring to 1 1/2"x .120" wall steel shapes.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That might depends on your definition of "Off-road"
This is the fire trail I drove with my 12' TC.
The truck gauge indicated 18% grade and going up I was watching if the camper is still behind me.
That done with RWD truck.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested to see videos of full size campers doing off-road still. Easy to find the little fold down TCs off-road, but that is little more than cargo in the truck bed. Full size way different. I see a few out thre

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trucks with a TC are top heavy. Some roads that a lightly loaded truck can handle will turn over the same truck with a TC. You would have a tough time recovering your rig. It is not worth the risk.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Doubling tubing wall size will make it stronger 2x
Doubling outside size will make it stronger 4 x.
I stand corrected on my earlier post about 1" insert tubing.
This topic made me going to garage with tape measure and it is 1.5.
Human eye is lousy instrument.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
well, engineers would say the physical dimensions are huge consequence. This is like saying a 2x4 board is as strong as a 2x6 board because of the "2".
Im not sure the point here, lets keep it all upbeat

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
1.5 inch insert tubes.

The physical dimension of the tubes is of little consequence. It's the wall thickness of the steel that imparts the strength. Those are (like the earlier versions), Schedule 60 mild steel.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Front install:

Fishing tool.

fished

here

This, is actually the right side mount, the fishing tool is on the left side of my truck…

Shelving brace for closet, now tool to push the frame-mounted wiring away from the bolt hole so bolt no pinch it.

just shove it in, tank is plastic…

bolts right in, this is left side

this is right side

low profile, does not really hang low when not in use. Nerf bars are lower. Does not hang so low when inserts are in either.

other side

other side

with insert, left.

1.5 inch insert tubes.

Very easy install. I suggest doing the non fishing side first.
Rear is next.

I will post this as a new thread for install references….

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
D2100 and R3500 are the Torklift models I have. Inserts are 1.5 inches and mounts are bigger.
They are new.

I just finished up putting in the drivers side front. Way easier than I anticipated, even fishing the bolts through was easy. I have Liquid Wrench on the other side bolt - not wanting to sheer the bolt off removing it - waiting…

The new mount is close to my nerf bars and does not hang lower, so I am not worried about it grabbing on something. Of course one that sticks between the bed n cab would not grab either. I dont plan on doing that kind of off-roading with a TC anyway, so no worries here.
Good point about the truck frame. I think the insert would break or bend first though surely, but I never plan to go rock crawling, so it is not a concern.

I have front and rear tie-down springs.

The fun part will be drilling through a class V hitch. 8 holes!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:

The Torklifts use heavy gauge 1.5 inch tubing for the inserts, which poke out about 10 inches. A camper that could bend this would be impressive. ..

What model of tie-downs you have?
Torklift for my 2017 Ford used 1" tubing as inserts. The pieces welded to frame bracket are 1.5 (I think).
It was wood-framed Lance that bend my rear tubing. Not much, about 1", but frankly I have no idea when and how it happen (it was 7500 miles trip)
From what I remember from other member report - he overlook speed bump and camper destroy his tie-downs.
Now I wonder if spring-loaded ties for the rear would be good idea.
Torklift makes them only for front.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I’m pretty sure the weak point is the camper frame. It isn’t even 1” steel square tube.
It’s wooden sticks or paper thin aluminum, usually just spot-welded. Even if it’s a good camper it’s just fiberglass.
The whole controversy about the strongest tie down system seems moot.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.