cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SRW vs DRW

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a general rule regarding how much weight is okay for SRW and how much is too much? We are thinking of a larger 5er and not sure how much larger will require a new truck too.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
100 REPLIES 100

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
CabinetmakerII wrote:
jay5er wrote:
Just remember one thing DRW (dual rear wheel) will NOT go through a Car/Truck Wash !!

There are a few Car/Truck washes that can handle a DRW truck. You just have to look for them.

X2
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
jay5er wrote:
Just remember one thing DRW (dual rear wheel) will NOT go through a Car/Truck Wash !!

There are a few Car/Truck washes that can handle a DRW truck. You just have to look for them.
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
lcseds wrote:
I still don't have an RV yet but bought a 2018 F350 DRW. It can tow rigs that are more than I can afford, but you never know what the future brings. It's my daily driver and for months I don't think there is any place I wanted to go where it wouldn't fit. Park farther from the store? I do that with all the vehicles I own. But the car wash places is an issue......

There you go. When 5er shopping time comes around you won't be running from the showroom out to the truck to see if you have enough truck for the rig inside that you like. You already have enough truck.

Now, install a hitch before you go shopping so that the dealer can see that you are prepared to take one away now & he needs to put a very sharp point on his pencil. If he doesn't the next dealer down the road or the next town will.

You are ready to pull not play games.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
lcseds wrote:
I still don't have an RV yet but bought a 2018 F350 DRW. It can tow rigs that are more than I can afford, but you never know what the future brings. It's my daily driver and for months I don't think there is any place I wanted to go where it wouldn't fit. Park farther from the store? I do that with all the vehicles I own. But the car wash places is an issue......

Congratulations on the new TV! As you said 99% of the size issue is in the mind of the driver! Fenders no wider than the mirrors, still go through drive throughout, not all, and a couple need to be hit just right.
See people in small cars all time that canโ€™t judge distance. Just getting use to where things are.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ourjeeps
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
In the resort we are in for the last many winters it looks like the dually trucks are becoming more popular now.

chevman

Larry -

Good to hear that trend. I'd say that's a real good thing (safety and capability). I get to say fewer prayers for other folks...

DRG
American Coach American Dream 42G diesel pusher
F-350 PSD CC LB Dually w/Bigfoot 1500 9.5
Jeeps & Dogs
Good Sam Charter Life Member
God Bless America & Our Troops Overseas!!!

ourjeeps
Explorer
Explorer
lcseds congrats on your DRW. You'll be able to safely and comfortably tow a wide range of RV trailers/other trailers with that truck when the time comes. (thumbs up)
American Coach American Dream 42G diesel pusher
F-350 PSD CC LB Dually w/Bigfoot 1500 9.5
Jeeps & Dogs
Good Sam Charter Life Member
God Bless America & Our Troops Overseas!!!

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
In the resort we are in for the last many winters it looks like the dually trucks are becoming more popular now.

chevman

Along with 5th wheels getting longer and heavier. Chris

What r u talkin aboot EH. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry barnhart wrote:

chevman

Along with 5th wheels getting longer and heavier. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:

Just have to ask, how does that 5er tow/ride with less than 15% pin weight?? I would think it would be a bit of a bucking bronco.

Here's a Video I made of the test run performed while I was building the thing.

I have 400 lbs of ballast in the front closet to get the weights where they are. At those weights it handles just ok. Any less weight on the pin and it's terrible. Bucking isn't so much a problem but swaying is. I am planning to move my trailer axles back 20" which should put the weights where I want them.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Charlie_on_lake_conr wrote:
Hi, brand new member looking for confirmation from the experts (lotโ€™s of good discussion in this topic) and I donโ€™t want to trust the salesman. Iโ€™ve poured through the owners manuals and towing guides and have calculated a trailer GVWR of 18,454 based on my TV (I know I need to actually weigh my TV, but letโ€™s assume my base numbers are correct).

First question - does this TT GVWR sound right?
Second question - Would a 5th wheel with a UVW of 14,190, carrying capacity of 3,810 and pin weight of 3,176 be too much for this TV?

Hope my pics show in the post:

How many axles under this fiver? If it is a triple axle toy hauler the 1 ton srw would handle it just fine. If it is a tandem axle center kitchen you'll definitely overload the trucks gvwr by the time you fully load the trailer. If you're comfortable loading the truck to near its rear axle capacity you might be ok but the only way you'd know would be to scale the unit loaded.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie_on_lake_conr wrote:
Hi, brand new member looking for confirmation from the experts (lotโ€™s of good discussion in this topic) and I donโ€™t want to trust the salesman. Iโ€™ve poured through the owners manuals and towing guides and have calculated a trailer GVWR of 18,454 based on my TV (I know I need to actually weigh my TV, but letโ€™s assume my base numbers are correct).

First question - does this TT GVWR sound right?
Second question - Would a 5th wheel with a UVW of 14,190, carrying capacity of 3,810 and pin weight of 3,176 be too much for this TV?

Hope my pics show in the post:

Your UVW is low. That truck is going to weigh 7300-7500 pounds empty.

A 5th wheel with a 14k lb UVW is very likely going to overload an SRW truck.

You need a dually.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins had me figured but those weights do include 400 lbs of ballast in the front closet to offset some of the bike's weight:

Click For Full-Size Image.

I'm curious as to how that works. I don't think you put it up there by hand