cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Banks experiment - altitude and hp

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Neat video...I skipped past some of the explanation portion as it drug on some.

His 8.1L starts out at 347hp and then drops to 285hp at 5600'.

Video
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
14 REPLIES 14

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
I stand corrected that there are supercharged production vehicles...of course, none listed look like typical tow vehicles. Most aren't even typical passenger vehicles but specialized performance vehicles sold in tiny numbers. So while technically true, you aren't likely to see many of these towing a 30' TT.

Out of curiosity are they permanently on and at max boost? If not, you might see a similar effect to turbos.
- Cruising at highway speeds on level ground at sea level, my assumption is they turn off the supercharger as it's simply not needed...similar to a turbo charger not boosting under light load. Only it's worse as superchargers eat up some of the HP to power them.
- Under heavy load climbing at altitude, a supercharged engine intended for towing would be putting out max boost.

It would probably be a little more choppy in terms of effect (on vs off rather than a more smooth matching of boost to needs) but the general effect would still be there. Or as someone suggested, they may have some sort of gearing (or equivalent function) to adjust boost to need...but again, none of the examples are intended for serious towing.

To the second part of your comment: it's nice to see the math but nothing beats actual testing as unexpected issues can come into play.

Now that you've mentioned it, I believe the Range Rover 3.0 V6 and 5.0 V8 supercharged engines have a "boost bypass" function, which allows the blower rotors to freewheel.

But even on a normal supercharger, you're not putting how max boost constantly, because the throttle body is in front of the blower. So at partial throttle, you're feeding the blower a vacuum, and getting slightly less vacuum out of it. That's why I made up that simplified 50% throttle example.

I agree they're not ideal for towing - you have a lot of parasitic loss, and heat rejection (roots and screws not as efficient as a centrifugal compressor, and OEM only use roots/screw).

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Haven't watched the video, but that is about right doing the math. An N/A engine drops about 3% power every 1,000 ft above sea level.

3 x 5.6 = 16.8

347 hp - 16.8% = 289 hp

Not too far off.

Not that it makes a huge difference but if the power drops off 3% every 1000 feet the power would have dropped to:
.97^5.6 x 347 = 292.6 HP

To determine what percent hp drop there is per 1000 feet of elevation gain when the engine went from 347 down to 285 hp over 5600 feet of elevation gain you would set up an equation like this:

x^5.6 * 347 = 285 so x^5.6 =.8213 and therefore x = .8213^(1/5.6) or .965 which means that the power drops off 3.5% per 1000 feet of elevation gain.

I guess I should have explained it better, but I figured the math I stated would have. It is a cumulative 3% every 1000 ft from hp at sea level, not 3% off from every value at each 1,000 ft in elevation. That is the way it was explained to me from an engineer at Cummins that will get you the closes to actual. It seems that they were correct based on the cumulative percentage being closer to the actual number stated. It just used as a general rule of thumb, and not exact science.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
Haven't watched the video, but that is about right doing the math. An N/A engine drops about 3% power every 1,000 ft above sea level.

3 x 5.6 = 16.8

347 hp - 16.8% = 289 hp

Not too far off.

Not that it makes a huge difference but if the power drops off 3% every 1000 feet the power would have dropped to:
.97^5.6 x 347 = 292.6 HP

To determine what percent hp drop there is per 1000 feet of elevation gain when the engine went from 347 down to 285 hp over 5600 feet of elevation gain you would set up an equation like this:

x^5.6 * 347 = 285 so x^5.6 =.8213 and therefore x = .8213^(1/5.6) or .965 which means that the power drops off 3.5% per 1000 feet of elevation gain.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
RoyJ wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
- I don't think any production vehicles are running superchargers...so not really relevant but even there, you are assume they are on 100% of the time. Assuming there is a control mechanism, there can be a difference.

As mentioned, many vehicles run superchargers.

No, I didn't assume superchargers run wide open. They're throttled just like NA and turbo gas engines. But regardless of how much you open the throttle, they have a fixed pressure ratio (boost ratio).

If the ratio is 2:1, at sea level, 100% throttle, then you manifold pressure is 14.7 psi. At an elevation of 0.8 atmosphere, you'll be at 11.76 psi.

At 50% throttle, you'll be at 7.35 psi, and high elevation 5.88 psi (grossly simplified, but you get my point).

Theoretically both NA should see similar percent reductions and both turbo should see similar percent reductions but actual field tests can bring to light issues not readily apparent (like small turbos only partially negating the thin air).

With NA, I bet test results = math.

To guess a turbo's "room" left to boost at altitude, you could look at how much top end hp a vehicle gains with only a tune.

On small turbo engines like my lil Mini Cooper, a tune can gain 30% of torque in the mid range, and only 10% above 5000 rpm. We can make an educated guess at say beyond 3000 feet (0.9 atm), it'll probably start to lose power. Because at that altitude, it requires the turbo to generate 10% more boost ratio.

I stand corrected that there are supercharged production vehicles...of course, none listed look like typical tow vehicles. Most aren't even typical passenger vehicles but specialized performance vehicles sold in tiny numbers. So while technically true, you aren't likely to see many of these towing a 30' TT.

Out of curiosity are they permanently on and at max boost? If not, you might see a similar effect to turbos.
- Cruising at highway speeds on level ground at sea level, my assumption is they turn off the supercharger as it's simply not needed...similar to a turbo charger not boosting under light load. Only it's worse as superchargers eat up some of the HP to power them.
- Under heavy load climbing at altitude, a supercharged engine intended for towing would be putting out max boost.

It would probably be a little more choppy in terms of effect (on vs off rather than a more smooth matching of boost to needs) but the general effect would still be there. Or as someone suggested, they may have some sort of gearing (or equivalent function) to adjust boost to need...but again, none of the examples are intended for serious towing.

To the second part of your comment: it's nice to see the math but nothing beats actual testing as unexpected issues can come into play.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
- I don't think any production vehicles are running superchargers...so not really relevant but even there, you are assume they are on 100% of the time. Assuming there is a control mechanism, there can be a difference.

As mentioned, many vehicles run superchargers.

No, I didn't assume superchargers run wide open. They're throttled just like NA and turbo gas engines. But regardless of how much you open the throttle, they have a fixed pressure ratio (boost ratio).

If the ratio is 2:1, at sea level, 100% throttle, then you manifold pressure is 14.7 psi. At an elevation of 0.8 atmosphere, you'll be at 11.76 psi.

At 50% throttle, you'll be at 7.35 psi, and high elevation 5.88 psi (grossly simplified, but you get my point).

Theoretically both NA should see similar percent reductions and both turbo should see similar percent reductions but actual field tests can bring to light issues not readily apparent (like small turbos only partially negating the thin air).

With NA, I bet test results = math.

To guess a turbo's "room" left to boost at altitude, you could look at how much top end hp a vehicle gains with only a tune.

On small turbo engines like my lil Mini Cooper, a tune can gain 30% of torque in the mid range, and only 10% above 5000 rpm. We can make an educated guess at say beyond 3000 feet (0.9 atm), it'll probably start to lose power. Because at that altitude, it requires the turbo to generate 10% more boost ratio.

harmanrk
Explorer
Explorer
The Volvos on your list are in face both Turbo Charged, AND Supercharged. I'm not certain they all are, but some of the S and V 60 models are.
2017 Ford F250 CC-SB SRW PSD
2013 Solaire 190x

Bedlam
valhalla360 wrote:
I don't think any production vehicles are running superchargers...so not really relevant but even there, you are assume they are on 100% of the time. Assuming there is a control mechanism, there can be a difference.

There are plenty of supercharged cars available since the 80's:

Volvo XC90, S90, S60 T6
Land Rover Range Rover, Sport
Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, Corvette Z06, Impala SS, Cobalt SS
Cadillac CTS-V, STS-V
Buick Riviera
Pontiac GTP
Ford SVT Lightning, Saleen Mustang, Mustang Cobra SVT, Thunderbird SC
Chrysler 300 SRT8
Dodge Challenger & Charger SRT Hellcat
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Audi A6, B8, S4
Porsche Chayenne Hybrid
Jaguar F-Pace, F-Type, XF, XJR
Mecedes-Benz E55 AMG, SLK32 AMG
Mini Cooper S
Toyota Previa LE S/C, MR2
Scion TC TRD

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
RoyJ wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
It would be fun to see a series of similar tests with diesel and turbo vs non-turbo.

As you say it matches the math but it's always nice to see confirmation.

A naturally aspirated diesel would have the same ratio of loss as an NA gasoline. A supercharged engine, despite popular belief, also loses just as much power with elevation gain as NA, as the supercharger is spinning at a fixed rpm. Unless the supercharger is purposely bleeding off boost at sea level, and then doing full boost at elevation.

With turbos, it depends on the size of the compressor. If they're undersized, like say an Ecoboost (for throttle response), then at high elevations you'll run into the limit of the compressor, and lose some power. Usually significantly less than NA though.

With a "performance" turbo, where the compressor has plenty of room left on the compressor map, then at elevation it may retain near 100% of power. Trade-off is a relatively laggy throttle response.

As I said, I understand the math but it's always nice to see how it turns out in reality.
- As you indicated, the turbo may run out of blow at some point, so how close to the theoretical no impact does it get?

My intent was actually 4 options:
- NA gas
- turbo gas (production style turbo)
- NA diesel
- turbo diesel

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
It would be fun to see a series of similar tests with diesel and turbo vs non-turbo.

A naturally aspirated diesel would have the same ratio of loss as an NA gasoline. A supercharged engine, despite popular belief, also loses just as much power with elevation gain as NA, as the supercharger is spinning at a fixed rpm. Unless the supercharger is purposely bleeding off boost at sea level, and then doing full boost at elevation.

With turbos, it depends on the size of the compressor. If they're undersized, like say an Ecoboost (for throttle response), then at high elevations you'll run into the limit of the compressor, and lose some power. Usually significantly less than NA though.

With a "performance" turbo, where the compressor has plenty of room left on the compressor map, then at elevation it may retain near 100% of power. Trade-off is a relatively laggy throttle response.

Exactly. I'm not sure everyone realizes turbodiesels do well at altitude because of the turbo, not because they are diesels. Gas turbos reap the same benefits.

Interesting fact regarding superchargers and altitude. Some supercharged airplanes had two speed superchargers so they could spin the supercharger faster at high altitudes to gain some power back.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ShinerBock wrote:

3 x 5.6 = 16.8

347 hp - 16.8% = 289 hp

Not too far off.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

harmanrk
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
I enjoy watching his videos including the rear differential cover design

Oddly enough, he started that series of videos promising data on how effective (or ineffective), the aftermarket covers were. I'm still waiting.

Since they never presented the data, I can only assume, they work just as well as the stock cover, that his tries to duplicate. All said, the cost of an aftermarket cover, is the cost it takes to get A DRAIN PLUG.
2017 Ford F250 CC-SB SRW PSD
2013 Solaire 190x

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I enjoy watching his videos including the rear differential cover design
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer

3 x 5.6 = 16.8

347 hp - 16.8% = 289 hp

Not too far off.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS