cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C 6.0L Chevy Workhorse engine upgrade tips needed

BigBerg67
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to add extra engine power with a power chip, exhaust, air filter or whatever options there are out there. I have a 2006 Chevy 6.0L V8 with 24K miles. Thanks in advance for you suggestions and help.
9 REPLIES 9

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Supercharger x2, is probably the only real deal for power.

What helped me and worked well enough,make it breathe better.
I added a K-N air filter and dual exhaust on 2 older GM small blocks .
It helped on hills when towing a 6k TT. 6k plus the truck was 12k or so, probably close to your MH weight.
Even better than that , my new 2016 5.3 GM seems to work well with the 6 spd tranny towing the 6k TT . IMO, the new tranny's were a good move.

BigBerg67
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all if the replies...I specially like the one that ends in โ€œget to the camp site fasterโ€. After all your sound advise, I will not be wasting my money...thanks again all.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
The things you are describing aren't going to make much difference. Adding timing on a heavy vehicle is just going to cause spark knock and the computer is going to pull that timing back out. From what I've read about these engines, enrichening the fuel mixture actually decreases output (the sweet spot appears to be around 13-13.2:1, whereas older engines and induction systems might make more power at 12.5:1 than at 13:1). Those are the way "chips" increase power on fuel injected engines. There is no chip in any current generation vehicle and what you're really talking about is called a "tune," where a technician uses a laptop and software to modify the contents of the ECM and the parameters that affect engine performance.

If you really want more power, a supercharger is probably the only realistic option. It costs about $7,000 for the parts. If you do it, you should be very modest with boost but you could see another 100 horsepower even with modest boost numbers.

Changing heads, a modest camshaft change, etc., could produce noticeable gains, but you better be prepared to spend $2,500-3,000 for them and be VERY careful in your camshaft/compression ratio/head port selection or your motorhome will be sluggish, especially around town for a gain of 1/3 to 1/2 of what the supercharger will produce without any other modifications other than a tune, which both will require.

Keep in mind that the horsepower your motorhome has is double what one would have 30 years ago for the same size motorhome. Maybe you don't need that power after all.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you want more power ?
Will it NOT do the speed limit with what you have now ??
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
The 6.0 isn't fast, but it's a reliable old horse.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a motorhome. A odd shaped vehicle with wind drag items all over the top, weighed down by tanks of water and fuel. Inside are kids and pets. And you need more power to do what, get to the campsite faster? :h

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
The 6.0L in that year will walk circles around the 6.8L V-10 Furd. I have owned both and currently own a V-10. The 6.0L has more usuable grunt and gets better millage. Leave it alone, it will give you many years and miles of low cost operation in my experience.

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
Only 24K miles on an '06, interesting. My '06 had nearly 251K miles when I sold it early last year.

You didn't say why you wanted more power????
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Gassers don't respond to upgrades nearly as well as a diesel does. My advice is to save your $. I don't think you can really do anything that will make an appreciable difference.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010