Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Frame mount or Bed mount

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I am shopping for mounts.

I have a pair of those that drop into the bed rail holes. This is how I intended to get TC home a rainy 6 hr drive at night.

I am looking at Amazon reviews on the Broady ones that mount to top rail. Everyone loves them and no reported issues for holding the Tc to the truck. I know they are not meant for 3500lb TCs either, but mine is just 1,900.

My method is I actually have a bolt go through the side to the bracket and pinch to tighten against the wall. This would have to rip a lot of truck metal to pull out. This is just how I made it work on my truck (got these with a previous TC and no idea of history)

Why would I want to go with a $400+ frame mounted tie-down bracket?

If anything I would make a frame mount bracket, but that is lots of fab work.

For the rear I may just put a tab on the rear bumper. Again, I think the fiberglass TC would splinter before the bumper would bend.

What am I missing?

this is getting it home, I did not have short enough anything to tie to the brackets so tied to the nerf bar. The camper actually was sitting on the bed rails, not the floor, so at least it was super stable.
I intended to use the brackets, but the strap is from camper to nerf bar, not the bracket.
Should I find some short turn buckles, or just run a long bolt from camper to the bracket?
8 REPLIES 8

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure your camper is not touching your tail lights.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
I agree, get some clearance over the bed rails. Neither camper nor truck is designed to carry weight here. Even if it's only close, it looks like little tolerance for movement.

Cool camper. Is the seam right down the middle? If so, you'll want to watch out for roof leaks at the seam.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.
So, this pic, sorry its big, is after taking possession of it. The dealer did not have the parts it was pictured with as it turned out. I brought some straps just in case.

I want to make some, but just havent sourced the steel yet. I can make it out of my scraps, but rather have a removable tube setup

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with AnEv. If you are even remotely thinking of taking the rig off road or getting your axles twisted up at all, then the tried and true Happy Jack tie downs are good enough. These are old tech but very well designed with real world calcs. I've had no trouble with them over some noxious real estate. However, I do keep adjusting them tighter or looser, depending on how much the truck frame is flexing. Here are the features I see:
*Nothing hanging down to be bent or ripped off by a passing rock.
*The full sheet of the front of the bed acts as a shear plate.
*Front tie downs are spring loaded to keep from pulling your TC apart.
*Front tie downs are at an angle to keep your TC from moving rearward, or sliding out the back on steep upgrades.
*Rear tie downs go to the bumper with buttons.
*Rear tie downs at an angle to keep the TC in position.
*Rear tie downs have no spring load. Mfgr. calculated the rear bumper will bend enough to reduce the need for springs.
I'm still enjoying the simple pair of 3/4 inch open end wrenches style of adjustment and keep the pair at hand for a quick readjustment. I really don't see a better mouse trap out there. More expensive ones out there? Yes. Sexier ones out there? Yes.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
While I would first address the fact camper setting on bed rails, frame mounts may not be ideal if your interest is truly off roading (other thread).
happijack mounts maybe an option.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I am metal fabricator and hate to pay a fortune for something I can make myself in couple of hr, but front frame-mounted brackets would take long hr of fitment, so I did not hesitate to spend the money with Torklift.
Rear is easy to DIY

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Frame mounts are superior. Try some better straps.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I used the Brophy clamp on tiedowns for years with several campers and they work, but theyโ€™re a pain in the butt to have to bolt on every time you load the camper, or super ugly if you just leave them on. The other thing that youโ€™ve already discovered is they give you very little room for your turnbuckles. They do work, but I got tired of mine.

Youโ€™re supposed to use tiedowns that are spring loaded, most turnbuckles sold as camper tiedowns are, if you use solid frame mounts. Otherwise the flexing and bouncing wild driving tries to rip your tiedown brackets out of your camper. The clamp-on Brophys have a bit of flex to them and might be OK without something spring loaded.
I canโ€™t seem to find them anymore but there used to be a thing called a belly bar. It was a piece of square tube that went under the truck from left to right and had brackets to attach it to the frame.
Then you had little removable pieces that fit into each end to attach your turnbuckles, just like the popular Torklift frame mounts do. I have one on my truck. You could make one pretty easily.

I welded 7โ€ of 2โ€ square tube onto each end of my trailer hitch so I could slide smaller square tube into it to hold my rear turnbuckles. When the end pieces are removed you donโ€™t even see it, it just looks like the hitch is wider.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.