cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exit sign battery on TC temporary

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I have two 6-volt golf cart batteries, but they sit in the truck bed (in front of the fender), then are wired in.
I also have solar, which is not supposed to be hooked up unless there is a battery connected first (battery keeps things stable).
When truck is away, I also would like minimal power, for one light at night emergency, but this is the secondary concern. I do not camp by removing TC, it's always on the truck when using it.

I want to put an exit sign battery, small lead acid, where the TC battery would normally go in the TC battery box, and have it hooked into the 12 power grid.
There is no point in the expense or weight of a full-size RV battery.

This allows me mainly to leave the solar hooked up all the time without worry of an unstable load or something on the charge controller - which can burn it out.

Has anyone done this, or have a better method they already did?

I'm not interested in thoughts or ideas really, just real-life things that have been done, and pros and con's of it.

Would I be able to power the HippaJacks like this? plugged into shoreline with converter providing additional 12v?

Something like this:
$18 Amazon Exit Sign Battery
6 REPLIES 6

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Is there no compartment where you can install the golf cart batteries on a permanent basis? Even if you have to secure them to the truck bed before you install the camper, you can get forklift type 175 amp connectors to plug them into the camper and your solar array can keep them charged. The enemy of lead acid batteries is allowing them to sit discharged for any length of time.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Those are SLA AGM batteries, and as long as itโ€™s a 12 v battery your solar controller should be OK with it. As small as it is AH-wise though, you may not get much jack operation out of it even with shore power plugged in. When Iโ€™m lifting my camper with shore power connected, Iโ€™m still seeing about 3 amps coming out of the battery. Thatโ€™s with a much bigger AGM battery that can hold the voltage higher under load for a longer period of time, and a PD4645 converter charger.

What type of shore power converter charger does your camper have?

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
That will work find. I suspect that battery is used in small ups devices.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I donโ€™t think youโ€™ll find anyone whoโ€™s powered their hippo jacks off of something the size of a lawnmower battery, but I spose you might find someone whoโ€™s tried....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't an 'exit' sign battery an SLA?
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I donโ€™t know about that battery. Iโ€™d probably consider a Group 22 AGM which is still only about 13 lbs or so. I havenโ€™t done anything like that, but I think itโ€™s a pretty good idea.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member