cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie question/advice

cccfarm
Explorer
Explorer
This is my first post but I have been following this site for a long time and would like to say Thank You for all the wonderful discussions and advice.

So I recently bought a 2007 Newmar Canyon Star and was wanting opinions on what maintenance I should do to when I pull it out of storage. I have had a travel trailer in the past but the Class A motorhome is much more intimidating than the trailer for some reason. I bought it from a nice older couple but the older man seemed to think that he knew everything and as I found out by having to spend money to rewinterize due to him not winterizing correctly or at all that he really didn’t know near as much as he thought. In his defense they never winterized it because they were gone to warmer climates before they needed to.

I know I need to give the roof a good bath and give the inside a good cleaning as well. Not for sure about too much else. Was planning on doing an inspection on the roof after I clean it and sealing anything up that looks like it may need it. Are there things I should lube and if so what should I use? Anything special I need to do to dewinterize it?

Thank you all in advance for any and all advice/opinions!!!!!
14 REPLIES 14

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah, so exactly what Matt Colie said!
And nice looking rig!
It's not as intimidating as it sounds. The chassis is basically just a 12 year old HD pickup truck. Well, heavier axles though. Totally easy and pretty economical to work on.
Treat it like a used car you'd buy, depending on mileage. Tune up, belt, fluids changed, check out the brakes and rubber etc.
The house part is the same as your Travel trailer. Nothing new to you.
And whomever stated it needs a front end alignment regardless....that doesn't make sense. Either it's in good alignment or it's not. That's not like a periodic maintenance type thing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On any used rig.. Unless you are a qualified inspector of that type of vehicle. I'd hire a pro to go over it and tell you what it needs.

IN fact.. .Even though I am skilled at some vehicles. I still hired a pro. glad I did too.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

cccfarm
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all very much for the advice. I can’t wait for the weather to get better so I can start cleaning it up

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
and don,t take it to a dealer for repairs you can,t do, find a local rv tech in your area. there faster,cheaper, most times smarter,and they come to you.

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
Check the windshield washer fluid. We had a used RV and found during a blizzard that the tank was filled with summer fluid. (I use winter stuff all year round, normally.)
David and Dayle

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I'd simply do a good service on the coach, de-winterize etc.
Then drive it out to a service center for servicing. tire check etc.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You had a TT so you know the importance of checking the roof. Replace/add caulking as needed and use Eternabond where possible.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
OK CCC,

Hang on tight, here we GO......

I do not know how much of a technician you are, but it is time for you to learn. In the RV world there are people we know as POs (Previous Owners) and they can be good or bad. Until it yours is proven good (I think we already missed that boat) assume he was not so good. This can seen to cost you a lot but will save you a lot in the long run. Hoping you have this coach for a long run..

First things first - Get your hands on all the service documentation you can. Cost is not an issue here (if it is, back out now) some of these books will cost a lot. What you have is a truck (chassis) with a house (coach) dropped (almost literally)on it and it has been in a 12 year long earthquake. It may be either a Ford or a Chevy engine and that can be a clue to who made the chassis. When you find out, just hold your nose and buy the book.
The owners manual of most coaches is just a loose leaf that may have some specifics in it (or not) and the manuals for the installed appliances and equipment. Verify that what you got is what is there. If it is not, contact the manufacturer and try to get them. You will have to have the exact model numbers to do this.

Next and big on the list is the regular periodic maintenance. If you did not get legible service records and/or logs, then you can not count on anything having been done. Start your own maintenance record/log (I always call them logs because I am a waterman). It is easier if it is divided into logical sections. Include anything that cost more than 2$. In a very short time this will all be a blur.

So, get the maintenance caught up.
If the tires are original, they are shot regardless of appearance or tread depth. Go to and find out how to read the date codes on the tires. On the rear duels, they will be inside, but you can often read them with a mirror on a stick and a flashlight. Write them in your log.

As nearly as I could tell, this is a front gas engine coach. That means that an oil change is just a big car type service. If you can't do it, find a light truck service place to do it for you. RV service places should be a last resort unless you have very good information as to one that is trust worthy.

Now, you have not indicated if you are much of a technician, but that can be fixed. You seem to be literate and probably have at least a mid-range IQ. That puts you ahead of many of the people that you might pay to do what is needed. And they don't care as much as you should. (Like with winterizing 🙂 ) If you do not have the tools you need, stop for just a moment. If you take the coach to any facility, you are going to pay >100$us/shop hour. This can add up fast. And very fast if the wrench you hired does not know this chassis and coach. So, if you need tools, just buy them and learn to do the minor and regular maintenance. Not only will this save you money, but if the job does not get done to your satisfaction (the water thing again), you can do it over at for no cash out of pocket cost. And, by knowing your coach this much better, you can head of problems before they are "real issues".

Lastly but not at all leastly....
Find type specific owners groups to join. They may be on IRV2, domains of their own or (heaven forbid) on Facebook. If you hit it right, you should be able to draw on a lot of experience that can keep you butt out of the fire.
There other groups too, like FMCA (Now called something else, but still there). They have a lot to offer and local and type chapters. Look at it all.

Now, when you get to traveling (private coach is the best way ever), keep a running log and take too many pictures. As I said, in just a few years this will all be a pleasant blur. (Honey, do you remember what year we were at Crazy Horse?)

Most of all, take the time to enjoy the journey.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I would replace the serpentine belt, unless there is documentation showing it was done recently. As mentioned earlier, all fluids and get brakes / wheel bearings checked. Check the rubber glazing on the windows. 12 years it might be showing some shrinkage. Get the batteries load tested, chassis and house. Change oil and filters on the generator. Stop your slide(s) about 1/2 way out and inspect the slide seals. Flush out the RV antifreeze and sanitize the fresh water system.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Mechanical? It's almost 12 years old, do you know if the fluids have been changed? Filters? Wheel bearings/brakes? The last thing you want is a mechanical break down on a trip.

X1, To be safe, unless those tires are under 5 yrs. old, I would replace them all but I would also take the rig into a good tire shop and have every tire checked for its condition i.e. any cracks, splits etc.

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
WELCOME!
Previous didn't know too much.
That's a bit scary.
Hope you got it for a decent price. You might be paying for a lot more.
If they're original tires you might want to get new ones

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check tires, for weather cracks, tread depth, how old are they.
Also, take it to a truck shop and have an alignment done, unless the previous owner has documentation showing IF & when it was done.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Mechanical? It's almost 12 years old, do you know if the fluids have been changed? Filters? Wheel bearings/brakes? The last thing you want is a mechanical break down on a trip.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Does the manufacturer say give the roof a good cleaning? Using what soap, cleaner etc.? Are you planning on resealing the windows and other items on the sides? Are the plastic vent and fridge covers in good shape?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad