cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Early Spring Trip to Olympic NP

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Wifey got into some kind of trauma while I was driving over snowy steep roads in and out of Yosemite although it's nothing serious but those obvious small slip and slide over icy road.

Planning an spring trip to Olympic NP. I want to avoid heavy snow.

For those who've done the trip, appreciate an advices as to when is the earliest for us to make this trip.
30 REPLIES 30

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to live in Washington and spent time in the Olympics, but got tired of the rain. Then I spent time in the Cascades and got tired of the rain. Then I start going to the East Side of the Cascades, which is the place to be. Perfect.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Western WA there are two months that are guaranteed nice as it gets. Last 1/2 July to Mid September, the rest is a **** shoot!

Lol!

Lived there all my life, it's true!

I have watched more fireworks displays behind wipers than not.

I suspected so. I've made several corporate business trips to Seattle and never a day when it was not raining.

I started to see that they only have two seasons -- wet and very wet.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Western WA there are two months that are guaranteed nice as it gets. Last 1/2 July to Mid September, the rest is a **** shoot!

Lol!

Lived there all my life, it's true!

I have watched more fireworks displays behind wipers than not.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Lol!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
If you are planning on hugging the shore lines as you stated I would not miss the two campgrounds as you first enter the park. The first one is an overflow campground to the NP CG which I liked better. You can camp right on the ocean and see seals, orcas and hump back whales. Just up from the campground we saw orcas trying to attack a baby humpback whale then a big white shark showed up to get into the action. Very exciting. The other area that I though was very scenic was Cape Flattery at the very top. NW corner. You can see Canada from there across the sound.

Thanks, this is a very timely info, as I'm going to go into my trip planner soon.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are planning on hugging the shore lines as you stated I would not miss the two campgrounds as you first enter the park. The first one is an overflow campground to the NP CG which I liked better. You can camp right on the ocean and see seals, orcas and hump back whales. Just up from the campground we saw orcas trying to attack a baby humpback whale then a big white shark showed up to get into the action. Very exciting. The other area that I though was very scenic was Cape Flattery at the very top. NW corner. You can see Canada from there across the sound.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks @ORbiker and @D.E.Bishop.

I'm already excited.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
In April you will likely find that coastal campgrounds are soggy, really soggy. There are a lot of others within a few miles of the shoreline that MAY not be as soggy more more comfortable. We have been in love with the area around Kala Loch (pronounced Klay Lock). The KL beach front campground is great for smaller rigs like your's but even cooler is the Hoh Rainforest Campground. Small but with asphalt pads and nice roads. You'll often be alone during rainy season but the elk will be there. It is going to be crowded by late April to early May depending on the rain. The rainforest is a place of wonderment all by itself, normal rainfall is measured in feet not inches, the Hoh River is a glacial silt river a very soft grey color, ferns are so thick of the paths that you will understand why there are trails.

It is not the only exciting place on the shore but it is beautiful. We base there and sightsee up to the Makah Reservation, it is an easy walk to the Western most point in the contiguous 48 states.

Hurricane Ridge is a c**p shoot for viewing all the time. As mentioned late summer early winter is best for that local.

Have fun and stop often to investigate.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Spring is right around the corner. Spring Break in Oregon is the last week of March. April will be wet. Maybe less wind storms. And maybe some sunny days here and there.
Get a Passport America membership to help with the cost of some of the campgrounds. (ask me for my member number if you going to get one and we each get a kick-back) If you are a veteran, forest service campgrounds offer 50% off.

Since you have a shorter RV, you can fit in all the campgrounds. The Brookings area is nice. Longer sand beaches. Check out the lighthouses up and down the coast.
Choose what you like to do HERE.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for late response.

Just came back from Asian trip. Got tired of too much and too deep snow and shoveling the driveway, lol.

Those planning trip on the side of the world, don't miss Singapore. It's no longer the shopping paradise from where I used to go some 10 years ago but the city-state is a model of a well planned and best practice community-city.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"If so, I'd suggest going over to the coast after crossing into Oregon. Highway 101 runs very close to the beaches all the way up to the WA border"

That time of year sure it's a nice ride BUT visibility will most likely be VERY poor!

Thanks. Indeed, the view from the shore is on top of our list must-see list and wouldn't want to miss it. Lived for sometime in the CA Bay Area/SFO and familiar with the persistent fog.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
frankdamp wrote:
Sam:

Are you planning to do the trip northwards through California and Oregon to get to Washington? If so, I'd suggest going over to the coast after crossing into Oregon. Highway 101 runs very close to the beaches all the way up to the WA border. When we had our RV, we went south on Highway 101 on the west side of the Cascades. I was a bit surprised to find that it runs N-S a few miles inland. There are short dead end roads at frequent intervals down to the beaches.

Across the northern coast and the eastern side of the Cascades, it's closer to the beaches. In April, Hurricane Ridge might still be inaccessible for an RV.

You might want to consider going back to the "mainland" on the WA-State ferry from Port Townsend to Keystone (the Ferry Service says it goes to Coupeville, but that's 8 miles from the terminal). That ferry route actually crosses the Strait of Juan de Fuca (almost open ocean). It's a fairly short hop from the Keystone ferry terminal, north on Whidbey Island and across the Deception Pass bridge to Anacortes, then SR-20 to I-5.

Wonderful country and great sights. We've lived in Anacortes since I retired early from Boeing 20 years ago.

Yes, northward and hugging the shoreline from Redwood National Park to Olympic.

I love the view as we've already done the PCH, I-1 to Fort Bragg.

Also love the seafood and the she foods.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
ORbiker wrote:
What type of RV Sam? Length?

The Oregon State Parks are nice, but not for bigger rigs.

It's 21' and fortuitously found out it's the best size rig into those tight national and state parks.

Thanks,