cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smoky Mountain Ideas

rcload9
Explorer
Explorer
I will be travelling from CO to see the Smoky Mountains this summer for the first time. Any suggestions on routes, campgrounds and must do's? 40' Class A with tow.

- Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

Tjuice
Explorer
Explorer
There is such a variety of things to do, it's hard to recommend anything without knowing your likes/dislikes.
I live in the area, and please remember just because your gps wants to take you on a back road doesn't mean you should...

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
If you're looking for a peaceful area then I would hit Townsend, TN as your base. Quiet little town. We enjoy staying at Big Meadow Family Campground. The Little Arrow Outdoor resort looks really good and the KOA doesn't look bad. Townsend is right at the entrance to the National Park, near the Cades Cove area. Lots of great hiking trails around there such as Abrams Falls and Rich Mountain Loop. Nice visitor center as well. Also convenient to the rest of the park. Heading to the North Carolina side is a beautiful drive and brings you past Clingman's Dome, the highest point in the park.

Townsend is an easy drive the Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg if you're looking for some of that as well.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
Great Smokey's?
Must see's on my list would be
- Gatlinburg
- Great Smokey's National Park including Clingman Dome, Chimney Top, etc
- Biltmore Estate, Ashville
- Chimney Top east of Ashville
- Pigeon Forge, check out the dinner shows

I think you mean Chimney Rock, Gatlinburg is T shirt shops and tourist junk shops with a few exceptions and traffic is ridiculous.

IB853347201 wrote:
Great Smokey's?
- Gatlinburg

X2 on the above..

Was just at Gatlinburg last August... Stayed at River Plantation RV Resort.

Clingmans dome is a great hike on paved surface... although it is a good walk..
We really liked Cades Cove, great sights there..
Just the drive through the park couls take all day, its a nice place to stop at each pull off and take in the beauty...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Specifics on what you are looking for and your interests would be helpful.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
The Blue Mountains do kind of merge into the Smokies, and both are beautiful. If you have time the Blue Ridge Parkway has some wonderful sights and views and hiking. (Do check the tunnel locations and clearances beforehand; some are rather on the low side at the fog line.)

I found the Cade's Cove loop road very interesting. I would not recommend taking the RV around it, based on my experience doing that; while it's possible, it's tight and there are plenty of relatively low-hanging branches and people parking along the road can make it even more tight. The area is scenic and the historical bits intriguing.

Dollywood is above-average for amusement parks, and offers a good many things besides just rides and fairground games. Most of the rest of Pigeon Forge is...well, touristy in the worst sense. It'd be exciting as all get out if you're about a 4th grade boy, I think.

I haven't stayed there yet, but the views from Mama Gertie's Campground look absolutely fabulous from the pictures I've seen.

Truth is the Smokys are a small section of the Blue Ridge Section of the Appalachian Mountain chain. In the summer. The Blue Ridge Mountains are MUCH cooler than the Smoky Mts. Which is why we camp more on the Blue Ridge. The temps in the Smokys are just as hot as it is where we live, and I go UP to find cooler air. In the summer, we have the 3000' rule. Never camp below 3000'. Don't seem to work in the Smokys
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
We drove through Gatlinburg last summer and could not find anywhere to park. We were driving an F150, suprcrew, pulling a 17' TT. Almost every parking area was passenger vehicles only and we spent about 45 minutes trying to find TT parking. We gave up and headed for the NP.

We don't even like to drive our DRW F350 in downtown Gatlinburg. We will usually park and ride around on the shuttle.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Do you want an RV resort? Do you want amenities, do you want a campground with no services? Do you want to be where there is lots of things to do or do you want to be in the quiet side of the GSMNP? How do you feel about neighbors? If we know the answers to these questions, we can give you some better information.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We drove through Gatlinburg last summer and could not find anywhere to park. We were driving an F150, suprcrew, pulling a 17' TT. Almost every parking area was passenger vehicles only and we spent about 45 minutes trying to find TT parking. We gave up and headed for the NP.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
For the Eastern TN side I would recommend staying in the Townsend area if you want to avoid the tourist area of Gatinburg and Pigeon Forge. You are close to Cadeโ€™s Cove and some nice hiking.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The Blue Mountains do kind of merge into the Smokies, and both are beautiful. If you have time the Blue Ridge Parkway has some wonderful sights and views and hiking. (Do check the tunnel locations and clearances beforehand; some are rather on the low side at the fog line.)

I found the Cade's Cove loop road very interesting. I would not recommend taking the RV around it, based on my experience doing that; while it's possible, it's tight and there are plenty of relatively low-hanging branches and people parking along the road can make it even more tight. The area is scenic and the historical bits intriguing.

Dollywood is above-average for amusement parks, and offers a good many things besides just rides and fairground games. Most of the rest of Pigeon Forge is...well, touristy in the worst sense. It'd be exciting as all get out if you're about a 4th grade boy, I think.

I haven't stayed there yet, but the views from Mama Gertie's Campground look absolutely fabulous from the pictures I've seen.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Great Smokey's?
- Gatlinburg
2010 Suncruiser

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't camp much in the Smoky Mountains. We do most of ours in the Blue Ridge Mountains. However the one Cg we like in the Smoky Mountains is Happy Holiday in Cherokee. Very nice, and will easily handle a 40' MH.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
It would help more to know what your looking for. Shopping, restaurants, hook ups, or secluded, quiet, views.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds