cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv show likes and dislikes

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Daughter and I went to the Rv show in Grand Rapids last night to check things out. Four hours of wall to wall people and countless Rv's was enough as everything becomes a blur after awhile. So anyway here are some of my totally random thoughts I came away with.

Class B vans. I love the idea of these things. You can park just about anywhere where there is a campsite, urban camping, etc. I remember going thru a few last year at the show but I took a closer look this year. They are much smaller in person than what it appears on YouTube videos. I am 6'4" and 220# and it is literally impossible for me to use the shower in these things. I stood in one and shut the door, it isn't happening. If I were single and wanted a van I would build my own and simplify it plus they are ridiculously expensive. The size and $$ pretty much eliminated any dream of owning one.

Slide outs. I noticed on some of the high end diesel pushers they have excellent slide out construction. The outer fascia/trim is one with the slide, in other words it appears to be built as one piece with no joints just all fiberglass. That may have not made sense but those that have them probably know what I mean. Wish they were all made that way.

Indiana construction pretty much all the same. High end, low end, so called good ones and the bad ones are all junk pretty much. Lippert I feel has way too much going on here. The "higher end" ones just have more expensive stuff but workmanship is the same I feel.

I wish there were some true full time rated manufacturers there and maybe there were some, I just not sure which ones are rated full time. All the units we looked at were pretty much made in Indiana, wish I could have seen Arctic Fox for example. I won't bash manufactures by name as I don't want to offend anybody but one really popular and fairly new manufacture that has become a rock star among buyers, I cannot figure out what the hype is. The construction methods and workmanship I didn't feel was any better than others in their category, it was in one of their high end line of 5ers that had the spongiest floor. I haven't figured out that one yet or drank the koolaid either. Another long time and well respected manufactures high end line of 5ers that looked impressive at first glance was sloppily built. I know that these two manufactures were recently sold so between that and building at a frantic pace to keep up with demand isn't helping matters. I always cringe when I see smaller manufacturers being sold out as more often than not it does not end well. Anyway, the Indiana way of building sucks. If I had to pick a favorite that I seen yesterday it would have been the Cedar Creek followed by Montana

Not a fan of the two door bathrooms in fifth wheels. That's always a deal killer for us, such a inefficient use of space. Why do we need a separate door into the bathroom from the bedroom just to save 1 step? I'm not saying all are this way but i'm talking about the ones that leave you with a small corner shower and a poor placement of the tv in the bedroom because of the bed/bath door. It's a popular design among manufactures. Thats one of the reasons we ended up with what we have, a real shower with a true pocket door into the bath from the hall.

So there you have it, a snippet of my $.02 and ramblings of my likes and dislikes at the show this year.:B

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
31 REPLIES 31

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
Went to the Tampa super RV show. Looked at a RV brand that everyone says is high quality and several (internet) full time families own. For the price I expected better quality materials to be used in the construction of their units. All the factory rep could talk about was how well the oil workers in Canada loved their units. I was really disappointed and crossed this manufacture off my short list.

Many of the units had a lot of people in them making it hard to take a good look at them.

While the show was big and crowded I did enjoy it.

Total miles walked that day 11.4.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
myredracer wrote:
Our RV show has those lovely mini cinnamon sugar donuts. Mmmmm. Definitely the highlight of the visit! ๐Ÿ™‚

In the beginning we used to like going to the show. Last 2 or 3 times we looked at each other afterwards and it was like, "geez, so why did we go again"?? Would have been more fun spending the day at the mall...

The vendor booths don't seem to be as good as they used to be either.

Right on regarding the vendor booths. It's getting so that the largest number of good RV vendor booths are those in the Big Tent at Quartzsite once a year.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our RV show has those lovely mini cinnamon sugar donuts. Mmmmm. Definitely the highlight of the visit! ๐Ÿ™‚

In the beginning we used to like going to the show. Last 2 or 3 times we looked at each other afterwards and it was like, "geez, so why did we go again"?? Would have been more fun spending the day at the mall...

The vendor booths don't seem to be as good as they used to be either.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
We kick off our RVing year by going to the Providence RI RV and camping show which runs March 1st to the 3rd. We make it into a night out. We go to the RV show then walk over to the Capital Grill for a best in the area steak dinner. This is the only show we go to because I'm broke!!!!
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

6_2Superduty
Explorer
Explorer
At the St Louis show a few years ago part of the entertainment was a fellow wearing a t shirt "ask me about the lemon trailer I bought from xXxX dealer "

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
austinjenna wrote:
When they started charging 14-15 bucks and 10 to park I stopped going.

HA! You have not been to a big boatshow like Miami or Annapolis then. Been some years, at least 8, but last time I did Annapolis Powerboat Show it was $25 plus parking.

Been awhile since going to a RV show too. Done Hershey a couple of times. Never saw anything nicer than I already have so not much desire to return.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:

The Springfield MA show is relatively cheap, $10 per person with coupon and $5 to park, we stay clear of the concessions and the soggy pretzels, we usually find better eats at the local restaurants afterwords. :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Re: Class B: At 6'4", I doubt you will ever be comfortable in a B. But many of us find them to be the best mix of options. And, yes, you can be very comfortable for extended travels once you understand what you can and cannot do.

Many options out there.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I go to RV shows to shop for home improvement items such as windows, remodeling, and foundation waterproofing. Sadly you can't shop for RVs at home shows lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just last weekend stopped in at the Pleasanton, CA RV show.

As usual, what we already have that we love can't be found anymore. Hmmm .... I guess that's because nobody wants it these days :S :

- 24 foot Class C
- Heavy duty E450 chassis
- 2 always ready queen size beds plus full size bed, if needed, from a quick dinette conversion
- Three burner cooktop
- Oven
- Gobs of exterior storage in seven outside cabinets
- No slides for mechanical reliability
- Large tanks
- Full spare tire
- Manual awning with dual support modes for reliability and use in moderate winds
- Main engine battery charging, if desired
- Built-in generator battery charging, if desired
- Good ground clearance all around for gravel/dirt off-highway use
- Heated and remote control mirrors
- Outside shower
- Outside entertainment center
- Built in walkie-talkie rack with four automatically charged units for hiking, boating, etc. use
- Automatic exterior steps
- Drives like a small van, even with passing trucks and high sidewinds
- Gobs of power
- Swiveling and extending lounge chair
- Lousy gas mileage
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spokane show is this week end. I can't wait to check out the rigs, buy an expensive cola and a soggy pretzel. I wonder if they take Canadian money at the gate?

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Finally, I refrain from going to RV shows because they stiff you on parking and then they stiff you to get in the door and then they stiff you again for a watered down Coke and a soggy pretzel. Not my thing.

You aren't kidding about the parking. I paid more for parking than the actual tickets.:M

Dan

It's a day or afternoon of entertainment. If you are actually buying demand to be reimbursed by the seller. But if your just window shopping and checking things out, then the fees are worth the price of admission.

X2.

Every Feburary we go to the Springfield MA Rv show, been doing it for over 10 yrs. We will make a day of it, breaks up the winter blues. Besides window shoping all the rv's, 3 buildings of rv related venders, loads of campground owners. Many of the owners we know and it's good to talk about changes and future plans they have coming. :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

et2
Explorer
Explorer
ZINGERLITE wrote:
I am disappointed in the lack of accessories at the novi camper show. I assume most all of them are the same. I bought last year at the show and there wasn't alot to buy for the camper at the show. When i go to the snowmobile show i can buy gloves, hats, shirts, oil etc. i'd love to pick up camper accessories at the shows but there never seems to be any vendors for that.

Hmmmm, we missed last year. But every other time we attended they had all kinds of stuff. We'll see this year.