cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

schwintek slide issue

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Have been struggling with a 13 foot slide on our DRV fifth wheel for months and replace almost every part. I finally noticed while cleaning and waxing the bottom of the slide some slight depressions where the rollers travel along the slide while it moves in and out. I then realized the slide has settled very slightly in these grooves. The bottom of the slide is made of one inch plywood with a white protective barrier on the bottom that could be melamine. I called my dealer and they knew all about this problem and told me they installed eighth inch stainless strips a bit wider than the rollers to bring the slide up so the teeth of the drive gears don't bind in the track mounted to the slide. I was wondering if I could use aluminum for the same purpose as I can cut aluminum. Have any of you folks done this to the troublesome shwintek slide? This has been an ongoing nightmare and fails at the most inopportune times. I would be grateful for any help in this issue. Thanks, David
24 REPLIES 24

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.lancervpartsandservice.com/service/ <-- Lance has a complete RV repair shop in Lancaster California where they do all types of RV repairs from Class A's to TC's. Lance has the metal slides in stock and will install them for you.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
I wonder why, Mfg are too cheap, and do not install roller strips at the factory
It would certainly benefit them in quality reputation

Because they make it through the warranty period without roller strips. And that is all they care about.

Had a 97 Fleetwood Pace Arrow diesel for 12 years, rubber belting around exterior was covering GALVANIZED screws. Over the years they rust out! If only stainless where used!

Its nice to have someone like Doug here in the forum with his experience with these type slides.

Thanks Doug!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
drsteve wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
drsteve wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Schwintek is fine for our bedroom closet and galley slides. The big living room slide works OK but it does not make a flat floor - there is a transition up into the slide. I don't like that.

The step up makes it possible for the slide floor to clear the tires without having a taller ride height.

Not correct. Schwintek sliders CANNOT be a level floor due to the system. Doug

My 2018 Coachmen TT has a level floor, no step up to the dinette slide, and I could swear it's a Schwintek. Too cold to go out and look right now...

I can Gurantee that Schwintek mechanisms CANNOT have a level floor feature. I am talking about the standard Schwintek system with the side wall tracks and the two motors. Doug

Look at the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gni9fVq3nCE

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
drsteve wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Schwintek is fine for our bedroom closet and galley slides. The big living room slide works OK but it does not make a flat floor - there is a transition up into the slide. I don't like that.

The step up makes it possible for the slide floor to clear the tires without having a taller ride height.

My 2018 Coachmen TT has a level floor, no step up to the dinette slide, and I could swear it's a Schwintek. Too cold to go out and look right now...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
drsteve wrote:
joebedford wrote:

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
2naEagle wrote:
tvfrfireman wrote:
Have been struggling with a 13 foot slide on our DRV fifth wheel for months and replace almost every part. I finally noticed while cleaning and waxing the bottom of the slide some slight depressions where the rollers travel along the slide while it moves in and out. I then realized the slide has settled very slightly in these grooves. The bottom of the slide is made of one inch plywood with a white protective barrier on the bottom that could be melamine. I called my dealer and they knew all about this problem and told me they installed eighth inch stainless strips a bit wider than the rollers to bring the slide up so the teeth of the drive gears don't bind in the track mounted to the slide. I was wondering if I could use aluminum for the same purpose as I can cut aluminum. Have any of you folks done this to the troublesome shwintek slide? This has been an ongoing nightmare and fails at the most inopportune times. I would be grateful for any help in this issue. Thanks, David

In my case, the manufacture of the RV (DRV) installed five rollers for the thirteen foot slide. Three five inch rollers in the middle position and two 2 inch rollers on the outside edges where there in more weight. There is not much indentation where the five inch rollers are installed. It seems to me the larger rollers should have been on the outside where there is more weight.

Here's a Link on what I did to my slide.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:

1991 Palomino Filly PUP

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
I know what is said about opinions but here is mine anyway. It's my opinion that a 13' slide out is much too large and heavy to be installed as a Schwintek system. Large ones like this should be hydraulic.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I wonder why, Mfg are too cheap, and do not install roller strips at the factory

Because they make it through the warranty period without roller strips. And that is all they care about.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Because, โ€œRV Manufacturerโ€...
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

MrWizard
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a well known problem for Lance Campers.
And Lance has the same solution - metal strips applied to the bottom of slide so that the rollers no longer dig in.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
The Alu will wear faster than the stainless
There is good reason to use a hard material