cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 -6 volts or 4?

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going to head south in a couple days. In the past I have used 4 six volt batteries and I have four. We will be doing some bonndocking.
We have a 2000 gen as well.
Of course itโ€™s extra weight.
Go with just two or use all four. What would determine your decision?
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
17 REPLIES 17

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm in the "as many batteries as you can fit or afford ... whichever comes first" camp.

As such, all we can fit are a couple of 12V Group 31 AGM batteries. We can go about three (3) days on these before recharge ... keeping our propane/12V refrigerator of course on 24/7, using two non-heated CPAP machines during the nights, and keeping the furnace set to 65 degrees during the nights.

We can recharge three different non-solar ways: The main engine alternator, the built-in 4KW generator and the converter, or a 650 watt portable generator and the converter. These recharging methods work well because AGM batteries charge faster than liquid acid battereis - but they do cost more to buy initially.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
Go with 4 6V batteries. The extra 130lbs is nothing. For boondocking, adequate battery AH is probably one of the most important must have items. It,s the gas tank for your electrical system. One of the biggest reasons we can dry camp for 2 months without a genny is our 4 batteries for our modest electrical needs.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would go with two pair.. or 3 pair.. I know it is more weight buit it's more amp hours and frankly I need the amp hours.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Split the difference. Take 3....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also carry along a 20 amp Smart Charger. In case the converter goes down.
I also fed a cord from the front battery compartment through to the hitch with a few feet to spare and can run the gen on eco, in the back of the truck while we drive. On eco it runs the charger.
I carry the gen in front storage. The trailer plug is at the rear.
I installed a โ€œtransfer switchโ€ with wire to front compartment and can plug into gen in there or just lift out onto the ground.
I think weโ€™re ready.
Pray for safe good weather. Leaving on Wednesday.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Get an adequate solar system and take all four. Use the generator for cloudy days only.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MrWizard
inverters are quieter than generators

regardless, the batteries have to be recharged, and unless the roof is covered in solar panels and can generate more amphrs of power than you use, the generator will come into use

i am in the more battery is better 'group', but i still have a generator and still need to charge the batteries with it

battery power is not free, it has to be 'replenished' some how
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
ivbinconned wrote:
I did mention we do have a generator. We may well park a week or as long as our water lasts out in the sand. Iโ€™ll put in all 4.
Good time to review your charging system to minimize generator run time. You need the converter to charge at 14.2+ volts for a fast recharge. If you have a WFCO 3-stage that is notorious for 13.6v trickle charge you could be running the generator 10+ hours to get over 90%.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:
I did mention we do have a generator.
Inverters are much quieter than generators.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I just had to replace my batteries yesterday. I bought 4. I have 400 watts of solar to keep them full. Going to start with these 4 as an experiment and see how it goes.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did mention we do have a generator. We may well park a week or as long as our water lasts out in the sand. Iโ€™ll put in all 4.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Significant boondocking much better with more capacity.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:
What would determine your decision?
Whether I have an inverter and the loads I expect to place on it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would fill the available battery space if going off-grid. 4x