cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC on flatbed trailer?

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
I've quit riding 2wheels so I sold my dual sport. The problem is I now have no street legal way to get around.If I need to go to town I need to pack up the camper. Pros and cons of putting my TC on a flatbed with my ATV under the overhang and towing, That way I'd have a empty truck to get around. How do they tow? Just looking for opinions. Don't want a toyhauler.Thanks
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)
11 REPLIES 11

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
tuna fisher wrote:
Thanks all, keep um coming. Gooseneck or bumper pull.

For my needs it would be a bumper pull that way I could still load my pickup up with 1.5 cords of wood or take the rhino utv, if the trailer was a short one..The gooseneck takes up the pickup bed just like a fifth wheel..

I also mull both idea's since I have a TC and not a travel trailer, that would be handy in some cases and not so in others.The option to put my TC on a flatbed is a plus for owning a TC..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
There are advantages to a goose neck for TOWING especially heavy . In your situation I would prefer a bumper pull . You could put an ATV in truck bed . With a truck cap you could have lots of security dry storage . Any truck could haul it if the need arises . You could use a smaller trailer Look around for used TT. frame for a trailer they will be the right width for loading and unloading the TC .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, keep um coming. Gooseneck or bumper pull.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Re putting TCs on trailers. Yes it’s no problem if you can comprehend center of gravity and a little bit of enginuity. But there’s a time and place for everything and for some situations it makes sense, but for most, if they’re doing this as a semi permanent installation, they’d be better off with a TT or a TH.
Think about it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve done it. It’s easy. Since you won’t be loading/unloading, you can just bolt some flat steel plate to your jack brackets to hold the jacks out, set it on the trailer, then unbolt them.
When I did it I made a bracket from two pieces of square-tube steel that bolted on across the front of the camper and held the front jacks way out, then removed it.
It works great. It gives you a few extra advantages like room for storage along the sides and getting the door a lot closer to the ground.
I also considered rolling it on some wooden dowels to get it on. It’s so crazy it just might work, if your camper is a “basement” model with nothing hanging below the floor at the rear, meaning the camper floor can sit directly down on the trailer floor rather than needing a platform built under it.

It’ll tow great, car trailers are always 7000-10,000 capacity, you won’t be anywhere near that.

The other option is to put a Stable-Lift camper lift on your camper. Then loading/unloading is so ridiculously easy and quick you won’t care about dropping the camper to go to town.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
The picture shows what was likely horse trailer.
5 ft wide and 12 ft long?
The main problem with whole idea is that most flatbed trailers are 96 of 102" wide.
No way to load camper with its jacks.
so you have to modify something like on the picture, or get a forklift

What are you smokin this Morning? Better put your glasses on before replying...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The picture shows what was likely horse trailer.
5 ft wide and 12 ft long?
The main problem with whole idea is that most flatbed trailers are 96 of 102" wide.
No way to load camper with its jacks.
so you have to modify something like on the picture, or get a forklift

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that one looks really kewl.

Here's another thought, on a 5th wheeler with a deck/patio to enjoy and haul the ATV/SXV... which looks like a great idea too...

There's a great article on Truck Camper Magazine that has several 'Goose Neck' 5th wheel rigs... that look pretty doable for camper and buggy with a deck.

Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
finsruskw wrote:
If it works for you....

It's not mine.... it's a random photo I stumbled across probably 5 years ago.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
Looks kind of goofy, but what the heck!!
If it works for you....
Looks like the COG would be more to your liking mounted that way.
But....if it is too far to the rear, you will have unsafe fishtailing issues.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
My favorite....

I stumbled across the photo somewhere.

It's a standard flatbed car hauler, with a big cargo box added to the front.

It should tow just fine as long as the camper is placed on the trailer so it has appropriate tongue weight.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator