cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jacks down or not??

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Thought brought up by previous post. In our small Class A, the question has come up several times. If parked, and high winds or storms are forecast or happening, is the RV more stable with the jacks planted, or just sitting on the wheels?? On the Jacks, it does not seem to sway as much, but what do the rest of you think??
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

13 REPLIES 13

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
Jacks down will feel more comfortable. However from a safety standpoint it probably doesn't matter. If the wind is strong enough to blow you over it probably will either way.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Durb wrote:
The Class A motorhomes I have seen have their jacks mounted to the frame and are inboard of the tires. Jacks down in a storm would mean the coach is less likely to sway or bounce around, but is more likely to roll over with a high velocity side wind. If winds that extreme are forecast, move the rig nose first into the wind and slides in.

Assuming you didn't jack it up so the tires are off the ground, if it did start to roll, immediately, the tires would come into play the same as if you didn't have the jacks down...but you will have eliminated harmonic sway as the jacks aren't springy.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Nose in the wind it is built for 90 mph

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wall SD. Storms come out of the west generally. We were there and a huge storm blew in from the west. We were parked with the rear of the coach into the wind. I got up during the night and put up the ownings and the slides in. The movement, even with the jacks down was pretty scary but it calmed down some with the smaller profile with the slides in. I cannot imagine what it would be like sitting broadside to something that storm and winds
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
The Class A motorhomes I have seen have their jacks mounted to the frame and are inboard of the tires. Jacks down in a storm would mean the coach is less likely to sway or bounce around, but is more likely to roll over with a high velocity side wind. If winds that extreme are forecast, move the rig nose first into the wind and slides in.

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We've been in a couple of 50-65 mph wind storms with our 31' class C and its definitely jacks down and slides IN. We also have a Winegard Travel'r on the roof that got bent one year so it gets stowed now also.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
Jacks down should be a bit more stable;

I will second that. If jacks down your ability to "Rock and roll" is greatly reduced.. Springs are designed to allow you to Rock. and if you rock it's easier to roll.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Assuming the jacks are outside the footprint of the tires...no question jacks down. The wider the base the better...plus if they do fail or sink into mud, the tires will be there as a backup anyway.

Assuming the tires are on the ground, still better to have the jacks down as they will disrupt harmonic motion since there is no spring motion.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
After parking along the Columbia River (wind surfing capitol), we learned to point the tow vehicle into the wind and drop the front jacks. The first time we experienced the winds there, I spilled a couple glasses of Two Buck Chuck (wine) before I learned.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Jack's are there for stability, wind or not, class A or tent trailer.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
We have been through some pretty rough spells of weather. Jacks down has always been our choice and has worked well for us. I have 1-1/2" x 16" x 16" plywood pads under the jacks (unless on concrete) which give a nice stable footprint. If the site is reasonably level, the jacks usually only lift the coach an inch or two to get it leveled. If we had the front wheels lifted, I would drop the front to get them back on the ground even if it meant I had to shut off the fridge til the storm is ended.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Jacks down should be a bit more stable; typically they would have a slightly wider footprint than the wheels, and for sure less suspension motion. As long as the tires are still on the ground, I can't think of any possible reason why it would not be any less stable with jacks down.

If the winds are particularly high, you're much better off to be aligned with the winds than perpendicular to them. An RV is perfectly capable of withstanding 60+ mph winds head on without any difficulty, as you demonstrate every time you drive down the highway.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m not concerned about me in high winds. Iโ€™m concerned about my RV. Jacks up. And if possible my TT is connected to the TV nose into the wind.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad