cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sorta "Poll" - Your Three Most Useful RV/Camping Books

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
What three RV- and/or camping-related books do you consider most useful to you?
18 REPLIES 18

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
mountain directory either printed or ebook
trucker road atlas
a good campground book for your particular area that lists campground info, what is around it, etc.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I consider myself a "child" of the current technology. I am about the same age as the transistor and grew up (if ever) with all of this.

I am also a waterman and a small aircraft pilot. One thing I have learned (sometimes with hands on demonstrations) is to never count on the things that can go dark for no reason.

As to the three books: We have them, but I wish I could carry both RVPark reviews (Now Campground Reviews) and RVparky as hard copy. I won't print them out, but as this continues, you will get my reasoning.

Do we run with GPS? Yes, infact we usually have three going when underway. One is the driver's with the day's plan loaded another is talking to the laptop running Street Atlas (2015) and the cell is doing both watching for things SA is too old to know about and being wire for the laptops communication. So, I have full electronic charts (maps to some), and a 3w ERP repeater with external antenna for the cellphone. Holes on the coverage are still not hard to find if you get off the beaten path. We have frequently been without wire for an entire day's drive.

Still, we do have a library onboard. Not just for the casual reading, but apart from the two mountain directories (we got them before electronic were available and our "Camping with the Corps of Engineers" there are also the big thick books about attractions and scenic drives that we often look at for the upcoming drive plans. Some we carry are for things we might discuss with others like the 66, Blue Ridge and Natchez books. It is hard to pass a piece of the laptops SSD to someone else to look at.

We used to carry Woodalls, that we carried onboard only as the CD, and those that remember the old Woodalls will know why, but when AAA changed to being a set of regional Woodalls, that made that easy and as this is usually a planning tool, we may carry just the current region, but more likely one of use will use the technology to bring in the guide if we need it.

So, from my experience, all of these have their place and should be considered as part of the plan.

We do have a RVer friend that does not ever do any real exploring. They go to campgrounds and stay the week and come home. That is one way to do things, but it is not our way. There is just too much to see and do out there.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always have a paper road atlas with me after my Great GPS Adventure.

No cell service, GPS takes you on an adventure into the middle of nowhere with the last town 2 hours back on a very very rough road and tells you to "go offroad for 4 miles" and cannot identify an alternative route, at dusk - a book atlas can be the difference between having to camp for the night and finding an actual road 2 miles aways that can get you to your planned campground in 30 minutes.

I do have a couple books reviewing campgrounds (not RV Parks but actual campgrounds) and on hiking trails in my clipper - never know when they might come in handy. Will keep a couple RV Park review books in my TV when I start traveling with the FnR. After the above, I believe in having an offline option.

For those saying "no books because I have a kindle", those are still books...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
No paper CG directories for me any more. I use Ultimate Campgrounds, Allstays, and freecampsites.net more than anything else. When planning a trip, I look at CG options in the areas I expect to be overnighting. I try to have a 1st choice and a couple of backups nearby (preferably one closer and one farther along) in case the 1st one is full or if I decide to drive a bit more or less. On the road, if I change my plans and want to check out CGs in an area where I didn't check previously, I can almost always get a cell signal along the highway but if not I can drive until I get a signal. If I need wifi, I can look for a McD's or similar place that has free wifi.

There are places in the middle of nowhere with no cell service. However, if I'm heading somewhere I am unlikely to be in the middle of nowhere all day long. Somewhere there's a town or other place with nearby cell towers.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
A number of years ago, I bought the newest version of The Next Stop, used it once, the next time I looked at it, it was 4 years old, threw it away.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
Last time I was in North Dakota and Montana, we had more time without internet and with it.
I use Verizon and am online darn near everywhere. If not, GPS is a good resource should you be looking for a CG. I guess if you don't expect service, then plan for it.

I bought books years ago, including the two about mountain pass grades. Not so much anymore.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Rand McNally road atlas.
But the 3 most useful books when I am camping are:

1. The Bible (KJV)
2. Whatever Asimov Science Fiction I am reading at the time.
3. The most recent William Kent Krueger novel (Escapades of Cork O'Connor as Sheriff)

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Books we always carry. Just in case..
  • Rand McNally road atlas
  • KOA Directory
  • The Next Exit
    2010 Suncruiser

azdryheat
    Explorer
    Explorer
    Books? Haven't seen any that peaked my interest except the trucker's atlas
    2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
    2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
    2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

goducks10
    Explorer
    Explorer
    BarabooBob wrote:
    For the people that only use the internet, What about when you don't have service? Last time I was in North Dakota and Montana, we had more time without internet and with it.

Out last big trip was from Oregon up to WA then over to Montana, down through Idaho. We had reservations for the 1st few nights and our stay at GNP. After that we winged it for the next week. Never had an issue looking stuff up or the wife doing the Google maps thing.

Yes we've been without the net out on the road but it's never long enough during the day that we haven't been able to get a signal and check out what ever we need to.

ScottG
    Nomad
    Nomad
    goducks10 wrote:
    None. Internet only. Used to pack an Atlas but it hasn't been used in years.

Same here. With everything available on my phone, we don't carry any books but then again, we rarely stray out of state.

BarabooBob
    Explorer III
    Explorer III
    For the people that only use the internet, What about when you don't have service? Last time I was in North Dakota and Montana, we had more time without internet and with it.
    Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
    2017 Viking 17RD
    2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
    Retired

gbopp
    Explorer
    Explorer
    I still like paper maps, does that count?

Merrykalia
    Explorer
    Explorer
    I agree, I no longer use books. I am a reader, but I use a Kindle for that. I use Google, RVParkReviews, different forums that I belong to in order to find campgrounds and reviews of them. I use google maps and waze for directions.
    2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW