cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No power to water heater (Gas OR Electric)

rsqfyrmedic
Explorer
Explorer
Happy New Year all! Just came back from second trip in our 2004 Fleetwood Providence 39L. Wifey used hot water for a shower one day. No untoward events I can think of but the next time she went for hot water there was none.

Spent some time troubleshooting and found there's no power coming to the unit when I hit the switches up front (Either LP or electric). Everything points to a blown fuse/breaker but I can't find one tripped. There's the main breakers just under the bed that are fine....Is there another set of fuses I'm missing?

On another note, one of the bedroom slides won't go out....came in fine and I do hear the motor engage when I press the switch to bring it in, but nothing happens when I press the "out" on the same switch. Also, no breakers tripped but can't find any fuses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks in advance!
18 REPLIES 18

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
rsqfyrmedic wrote:
Yup....found the fuses above the main breakers....they just weren't labelled correctly?? solved both problems....little confused as to why the "out" slide control is on the same fuse as the water heater...seems odd. Off to track a new problem....I have utility lights that have no switches and won't turn off. One is by the radiator, one in the battery/inverter compartment and another in front, by the generator under the "hood". The switch for the other "luggage compartment" lights is off and now my awning won't retract?? Thsnks again for all the help though!

Water heater amp draw is low...2A fuse on circuit bd so many RV MFGs gang it with another component
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rsqfyrmedic
Explorer
Explorer
Yup....found the fuses above the main breakers....they just weren't labelled correctly?? solved both problems....little confused as to why the "out" slide control is on the same fuse as the water heater...seems odd. Off to track a new problem....I have utility lights that have no switches and won't turn off. One is by the radiator, one in the battery/inverter compartment and another in front, by the generator under the "hood". The switch for the other "luggage compartment" lights is off and now my awning won't retract?? Thsnks again for all the help though!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
There you go DOug...a 4E version

OP
Follow the DC Power from FUSED source to on/off switches then to circuit board
12V DC controls everything---electric & propane

rsqfyrmedic
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! I should've known to post the model....it's an Atwood GC10A-4E....been crazy busy with work and haven't been able to get to the rig.....infinite thanks for the help....gonna get to it Tues or Wed and let u know....I determined there was no power with the voltmeter.....wire TO the control board shows no power when either electric or LP switxhes on....leaning towards a blown fuse but just haven't found it....thanks again to all....you folks are true rock stars!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Tropical36 is correct that there is on many a thermal fuse under the piece of heat shrink tubing adjacent to the thermostat and ECO.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rsqfyrmedic
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! I should've known to post the model....it's an Atwood GC10A-4E....been crazy busy with work and haven't been able to get to the rig.....infinit thanks for the help....gonna get to it Tues or Wed and let u know....I determined there was no power with the voltmeter.....wire TO the control board shows no power when either electric or LP switxhes on....leaning towards a blown fuse but just haven't found it....thanks again to all....you folks are true rock stars!

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
rsqfyrmedic wrote:
Happy New Year all! Just came back from second trip in our 2004 Fleetwood Providence 39L. Wifey used hot water for a shower one day. No untoward events I can think of but the next time she went for hot water there was none.

Spent some time troubleshooting and found there's no power coming to the unit when I hit the switches up front (Either LP or electric). Everything points to a blown fuse/breaker but I can't find one tripped. There's the main breakers just under the bed that are fine....Is there another set of fuses I'm missing?

On another note, one of the bedroom slides won't go out....came in fine and I do hear the motor engage when I press the switch to bring it in, but nothing happens when I press the "out" on the same switch. Also, no breakers tripped but can't find any fuses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks in advance!

When you say no power, I'm assuming you're talking 12vdc, cuz it's highly unlikely that both modes of operation would fail at the same time.
A shot in the dark here, but if you'll look, there's a thermal fuse in line with the circuitry, that looks like a diode and usually covered with a clear plastic sleeve. Use a jumper to by pass this and see if that fixes it. If so, you're good to go, until you can buy a new one. Costs money for an OEM replacement, but dirt cheap, if you can find one that's close at radio shack and for making up your own, just like it.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
You have an Atwood water heater which uses 12V DC to control the electric & propane heating
The DC triggers the 120V AC to electric element via a DC Relay
The DC controls ALL functions
12V DC comes from a FUSED source...so you have probably blown a fuse

Slides .....worked coming IN but now nothing to extend.
Could have blown a fuse, bad controller or bad SWITCH

He has a 2004. That puts his water heater in the time where Atwood still had separate controls for 120 and LP. Just because he states he flips the switches up front for LP or 120 does NOT point to a newer all 12 volt control system. A LOT of OEMs ran the 120 wall switch next to the LP On/Off switch. He may have 2 problems. He needs to state Brand and MODEL of his Heater. Doug

OP stated:

3E models do use separate controls ---Independent sources of power/t-stats etc
4E models use SAME for both electric/propane

OP's doesn't heat via electric OR propane....suggest Common System (4E)
3E model and BOTH not working......highly unlikely since they are NOT connected or have common controls

I agree. BUT, The OP has NO CLUE. HOW does he determine he has NO power to the Water Heater system????? How does/did he determine he has NO POWER (120) or 12 volt??? THAT is why we need Brand and MODEL number. Without that, everybody is just spinning wheels. Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
You have an Atwood water heater which uses 12V DC to control the electric & propane heating

He has a 2004. That puts his water heater in the time where Atwood still had separate controls for 120 and LP. Just because he states he flips the switches up front for LP or 120 does NOT point to a newer all 12 volt control system. A LOT of OEMs ran the 120 wall switch next to the LP On/Off switch. He may have 2 problems. He needs to state Brand and MODEL of his Heater. Doug

OP stated:

3E models do use separate controls ---Independent sources of power/t-stats etc
4E models use SAME for both electric/propane

OP's doesn't heat via electric OR propane....suggest Common System (4E)
3E model and BOTH not working......highly unlikely since they are NOT connected or have common controls

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How does it affect the electric on a Surburan? Different wires. different system

But from the OP's description he has an Atwood.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
old guy wrote:
if it is a suburban water heater try wiggle the wires with the gas switch in the on position, happened to me once and the tech just laughed at me when it fired right up. no charge for the laugh he said and left

How does that affect the electric which on a Suburban is completely separate system?
Which isn't what OP has

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
if it is a suburban water heater try wiggle the wires with the gas switch in the on position, happened to me once and the tech just laughed at me when it fired right up. no charge for the laugh he said and left

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II