cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning tie downs straps

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to find out if there is a definitive answer on using tiedowns on newer electric awnings. I've herd arguments both ways. I'm always getting asked. My usual answer is no. It's a button use it. Plus straps will slow that process if in a hurry.
16 REPLIES 16

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
I came up with some makeshift tie downs of sorts since the awning in my new trailer wouldn't stay lowered. It extends and retracts fine but once out the "shocks" were too strong and always pushed it up. I just grabbed a couple C-clamps and some bungee cords and that holds it down okay. I wouldn't rely on it in much wind. For that matter, I wouldn't rely on any tie downs in wind. Just roll the thing up.

To solve the problem of keeping the awning down, I drilled a hole in the arm and another in the stationary part on the camper. Got the right length bungee to keep it down. Did it on both sides. Easy to remove when I need/want to bring it in.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I came up with some makeshift tie downs of sorts since the awning in my new trailer wouldn't stay lowered. It extends and retracts fine but once out the "shocks" were too strong and always pushed it up. I just grabbed a couple C-clamps and some bungee cords and that holds it down okay. I wouldn't rely on it in much wind. For that matter, I wouldn't rely on any tie downs in wind. Just roll the thing up.

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
I have the poles and tie downs linked in a prior post. I put it out, tie it down and leave it out. That's why I have an awning. If it gets destroyed my insurance is paid up.
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Every night I roll it up. If we leave the campsite I roll it up. I have been there before running out in the middle of the night to roll it up from a storm or have seen them torn off from campers who left them open and went into town. Sometimes they were still staked down but the fabric ripped.

This just happened to us last year - beautiful day, no chance of rain and then one rolled in with high winds, tore them off my 2 neighbors rigs. In the old days I would have gone out and rolled them up for them but with the new electric ones I dont have that opportunity so can only watch.

I dont leave anything out at night either so I dont need to worry about anything getting wet. Gives me piece of mind while sleeping or away from the campsite. I go camping to relax and try to limit the amount of things I need to worry about while camping to a minimum. Takes all of 10 seconds to press the button to extend or retract it and I take full advantage of it.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
I like support poles AND tie downs:

[url]http://learntorv.com/power-awning-support-poles/

But there's controversy no matter what you do. I've personally had my awning out (supported + tied down) in up to 35mph winds. I didn't like having it out up over 25mph but I missed my window of opportunity for bringing it in safely.

In 2012 I lost a manual awning to a sudden storm. We were gone for the day.
Never again. Too easy to roll up the awning to take that chance.

Now I throw a piece of Ski Rope over the corners, attach them to tent pegs with a Truckers hitch, for daily use. Take down is about 2-3 minutes tops.
I have my awning rolled up when we aren't there...
New awnings aren't cheap.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I would never stake the awning for fear of tearing away from the camper. Just push the button.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Our seasonal site is across from a farm and can be very windy on an otherwise windless day. We can walk 150 feet south to the lake and there isn't a breathe of wind, but on our site we could have 10 - 15 mph winds.

When we had our Class C, it had an electric awning that did not have a wind sensor. We used an awning tie down kit from Camco that came with anchors and heavy duty springs. Our awning was only 11 feet long, but the tie downs worked very well. The springs allowed the awning to move gently in strong winds so the awning fabric doesn't tear.

We still have the tie down kit and used it with our current TT, but it's a manual awning.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last year in Florida, I got really frustrated with the lightweight electric awning on our Winnebago Minnie as it would start bouncing in very slight breezes. I ended up ordering a tie down kit and started using it. The straps had a hook and a loop so they were very easy to quickly disconnect when I felt the awning needed to be retracted. I think it's OK to use tie downs as long as you are on site. When turning in for the night or leaving the site, I always retract the awning...I saw how fast things can change years ago while camping near Detroit.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve routinely used tie downs on both my old and new trailer awnings when I could. The first was manual and the new one is electric (no wind sensors). Itโ€™s not a failsafe, but it is a little added insurance for the unexpected. However, if really in question, we just bring ours in. An ounce of prevention is with a pound of cure.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
I watched an awning (tied down with stakes) get ripped on the trailer side due to a good gust of wind. If the wind wants it, it is going to get it. I would put it up and not worry about it.
2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2022 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
B and W patriot 18k slider.

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
I built a set out of PVC from the Wildcat forum and have had the awning out when the wind was blowing over 35 mph and not had a problem. With the pvc poles there is no movement with the awning at all. When we were in Pinetop Az the awning would go out the day we got there and come back in the day before we left. 4.5 months.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Delete

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I like support poles AND tie downs:

http://learntorv.com/power-awning-support-poles/

But there's controversy no matter what you do. I've personally had my awning out (supported + tied down) in up to 35mph winds. I didn't like having it out up over 25mph but I missed my window of opportunity for bringing it in safely.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the wind is strong enough to worry about tie-downs, I would roll it up and not worry about it. When we leave the trailer for any length of time, we roll it up. If the weather forecast is questionable, we roll it up.
We have a manual awning but it still only takes about 2 minutes to get the awning rolled and out of danger. When in doubt, roll it up and don't worry, be happy.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired