cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you choose 3.55 gears vs Turning radius

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
What would you choose... 450 turning radius or 350 3.55 gears for max fuel economy?

I may be all wet thinking the 3.55 rear in the F350 is going to make a big difference. I really think the tighter turning radius of the F450 is compelling. I can get a F350 for about $3000 less than a comparable F450 so I am on the fence.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)
31 REPLIES 31

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
SoonDockin wrote:
I have been looking at Lariats. Super surprised to see F350 Limited's selling below 80k. Must be hard to move.

That's becouse they've been promoting expensive options most of the buyers don't need.
I had to go to my letters.
I custom build my F350 dually Lariat, opting out sunroof and 4WD, but adding expensive 360 cameras and custom paint.
My total invoice price was 60,557 + fees in December of 2016

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
SoonDockin wrote:
I guess I never gave ride quality a thought. I don't see myself in snow very often. More of a warm weather camper, or on major highways in inclement weather.

Then take the 19.5's... I have both (550's x 4, and 350/250's)

For your big question, you will never, ever, regret the turning radius the truck offers. I've been driving the 550's since the change in ('07...? or so) and am still amazed and smiling when the turning issues come up, whether pulling our longer trailer, 34' with hitch, and having to squeeze in or u-turn where everyone says impossible, or backing up the shortest of trailers and being able to do so continuously because the truck can keep up without jacking. The **** things are amazing.,

I'd take a narrower tire in the snow any given day, and for sure, in inclement weather (i.e. heavy rain) the 19's will drive truer and be safer because they aren't floating around and planing on the water. Not even a discussion worth having. Off road in the mud??? Well, seriously, how deep is avg Joe going to take a camper off trail in the mud? I'm not. 9 times out of 10, the skinny's win. And the load problems that everyone debates to death on this site aren't an issue with the 19's.

Ride quality? yep, squishy tires win, but at a cost. Again...you're driving a truck. And putting a camper on it improves the ride immediately. Empty, yea, it's going to be stiffer. Trade off.

Good luck..
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been looking at Lariats. Super surprised to see F350 Limited's selling below 80k. Must be hard to move.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I never gave ride quality a thought. I don't see myself in snow very often. More of a warm weather camper, or on major highways in inclement weather.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd pick the 350 just for the tires and consider the MPG the icing on the cake, assuming your camper is well within the 350's ratings.

19.5 tires are stiffer and heavier. That's great at 70 mph going down the highway but commercial traction tires don't have the grip that a light truck tire will have in bad weather, on wet, snowy roads. Part of the fun in having a truck camper is being able to go out into those kinds of places. You will be more comfortable in a truck with 17 or 18 inch tires under those circumstances.

If I had to have 19.5 tires to enjoy my camper, I'd find a M&S rated set and run them. Since I don't, I can enjoy my 1 ton with 285 width tires, softer rubber, more siping, and a grippier tread pattern when I'm off the beaten path.

I wouldn't deny that 19.5 tires are tougher in every way, but the tradeoff is less traction for that toughness. It'd be great if we could have both at the same time, but narrower and stiffer tires don't offer the traction that squishier ones do; it's a balance.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
10Grand is a lot of money for a 3 point turn vs a 4 point turn. Especially based on your intended use
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO any dually is a beast and will do TC hauling and more.
Only members having heavy Host and pulling 8000 lb trailers really need more than 3500 truck.
I still don't understand the obsession with turning radius?
I drove older truck, who with CC had terrible radius and living in metro area the turning radius seldom was a trouble. At the time I lived on property that require making full Z to get truck behind the gate, yet not a problem.
New trucks have much better turning than what I used to drive and you will never get a truck with 0 turning radius

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most likely we will go with a Northern Lite 10-2 EX. Either will carry it easily. I am more thinking long term ease of use. No question the F450 is more truck.

Lancey
Explorer
Explorer
SoonDockin wrote:
I am searching much wider and finding a few deals on F350's that would bring the gap in price more like 10k. ARGG. I really want the tighter turning of the F450. Might just have to get over the price gap.

You would gain more than just turning radius with the 450. Breaking power and stability are just as big of factors. Plus a good safety margin for tire load rating with the 19.5's

That being said, cost of replacement of components are going to be slightly higher as well, brakes and tires mainly. And insurance.

Make sure you take both for a good drive, unladen ride is going to be more "firm" on the 450. Gotta weigh the good and the bad.

What camper are you planning on putting in the back? That might be a good deciding factor as well.
2005 arctic fox 990 silverfox
2008 Silverado ltz drw duramax 6speed allison

1999 Kodiak k99 / 2008 ford f450 6spd manual. SOLD
2000 citation supreme SOLD
1989 camperette SOLD
1985 okanagan SOLD
1990 northern lite SOLD
1995 northern lite SOLD
1997 Kodiak k99 SOLD

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am searching much wider and finding a few deals on F350's that would bring the gap in price more like 10k. ARGG. I really want the tighter turning of the F450. Might just have to get over the price gap.

Lancey
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
Just Curious- our 01 leaf sprung Ford takes a mile to turn- but Ive never had issue unless trying to make a U turn? (I dont like to jump curbs with camper on).
I thouhgt that was one of the advantages and reason for changing front suspension of the newer Fords- tighter turning radius.

Ford has 3 types of steering,
Leaf sprung trucks, old body style or SD, that turn like the titanic.

Coil sprung trucks that turn great in comparison to the leaf sprung trucks.

And f450 f550, that make the coil sprung f350/250 feel like they turn like leaf sprung trucks.

Tighter turning is also great for being able to jack knife a trailer and make tight maneuvers with less room around you.
2005 arctic fox 990 silverfox
2008 Silverado ltz drw duramax 6speed allison

1999 Kodiak k99 / 2008 ford f450 6spd manual. SOLD
2000 citation supreme SOLD
1989 camperette SOLD
1985 okanagan SOLD
1990 northern lite SOLD
1995 northern lite SOLD
1997 Kodiak k99 SOLD

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Just Curious- our 01 leaf sprung Ford takes a mile to turn- but Ive never had issue unless trying to make a U turn? (I dont like to jump curbs with camper on).
I thouhgt that was one of the advantages and reason for changing front suspension of the newer Fords- tighter turning radius.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a question relevant to the subject: What parts are different on the wide track front axle?

I haven't explored this in depth yet, but it appears that one could convert (I'm talking here about 2 WD). The axle, radius arms, hubs, perhaps brakes, springs, perhaps steering box and links would need to be changed. Those could all come from a wrecked donor, though they'd be rare. The fenders would need to me modified. It might be done for $3000?

I've contemplated this for my F350 2WD. There are two reasons for it: the turning radius obviously, but also it makes fitting air suspension to the front much simpler.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Only thing that would hold me back on a 450 would be registration Fees and would my insurance company insure it as a private vehicle

Better carefully check your state laws.
In CA vehicle of 15k or more GWVR is exempt from smog, but require engine replacement every 15 years or trip to scrap yard.
That most likely is the reason Ford derated F450 in last years, but the lawmakers have a nasty habit of finding a way to deal with law abusers