cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

removing carpet from my rv

tenspeedret360
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings everybody, and belated happy new year.....hope everybody is staying warm in this cold snap we're having....
To my question....I have an '06 Monaco LaPalma DP. it has factory carpet in the front, under the front captain chairs, one side of the living room, back to and ending at the bathroom area. Where isn't carpeted, is factory linoleum. I also have a 12'+ slide, with the carpet underneath.
I am in the midst of removing my couch, and other stuff from the front of my rv, and in addition, I am removing the carpet from the front, and replacing it with linoleum. My question is, how big a job is it to remove the carpet, or would I be better off finding someone that knows what they are doing, so to speak. I'm hoping that it just peels up off the linoleum that's underneath it, and the linoleum stays intact, and I can just lay my new linoleum on top of the old...and I think I just answered my next question in my last sentence....
I have been shopping, looking at vinyl sheet linoleum. The down side from what im researching, is that its very thin, and easily tears. Does anybody have recommendations as to what 'level' of linoleum I should be looking at for durability, as compared to easily tearing, from what ive read, even after install?

Thanks in advance for all the helpful assistance im sure to get....this, (and you) have always been my go to source for answers, and you've never let me down. Thanks, and happy motoring!

Kevin
Kevin
FMCA #F383349
2006 Monaco LaPalma
2015 Hyundai Elantra
9 REPLIES 9

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have one, a staple puller will be a great help. There are several kinds. The one I use is made by Stanley and I bought it at a hardware store. It looks like a flat blade screwdriver with a bent tip. The tip has a V cut in it. A pair of pliers to pull out any staples that break helps also.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

tenspeedret360
Explorer
Explorer
yes, im sorry
Kevin
FMCA #F383349
2006 Monaco LaPalma
2015 Hyundai Elantra

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
tenspeedret360 wrote:
Again, thanks to all of you! After all your responses, and me sitting around drinking too much coffee, I decided to take the plunge, and grabbed up my pliers, and went to a quiet, no traffic corner, and grabbed hold of the carpet, and pulled. And once again, you've never steered me wrong, a couple of million staples....THANKS!!!! :B

Linoleum underneath?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

tenspeedret360
Explorer
Explorer
Again, thanks to all of you! After all your responses, and me sitting around drinking too much coffee, I decided to take the plunge, and grabbed up my pliers, and went to a quiet, no traffic corner, and grabbed hold of the carpet, and pulled. And once again, you've never steered me wrong, a couple of million staples....THANKS!!!! :B
Kevin
FMCA #F383349
2006 Monaco LaPalma
2015 Hyundai Elantra

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
don,t forget to pull every one of those staples out, they could cut threw your new floor. take the rv to a carpet installer and price it.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
A million staples are holding the carpet down.

Iโ€™d go with vinyl planking. Tough stuff. Easy to work with.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If it was built like a trailer, it will have one sheet of linoleum over the entire floor - including under the carpet.
You might pull up a corner of the carpeting and see whether you got lucky or not.

As for removing the carpet, it's usually just stapled down. Give it a tug and it will come up.

MrWizard
I think you will find bare plywood with staples in it, under the carpet

Check out Armstrong conglenolium, used to be the best there was

IDK what the current best brands are
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I've removed RV carpet once and it wasn't too big a job.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad