Did you mean: 

Where’s Mex?

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
He hasn’t posted at all this year.

Hope everything is OK buddy.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!
73 REPLIES 73

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Get well Mex. Our thoughts are with you and those providing your care. My their skilled hands restore your health.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

jharrell
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I can, and have, run the roof air from the Magnum. I was hoping the Microair would eliminate the momentary overload (red light on Magnum remote) when starting. However that did not work out. i.e. the inverter still overloads briefly when starting the roof air compressor.

That is surprising, I installed the Micro-Air for the same reason, since its not on a sub panel and runs the whole coach The Magnum would sometimes trip the low voltage disconnect from the startup surge then overload attempting to start the AC itself.

The Microair completely solved that problem and as a bonus allows the A/C to startup and run off batteries (for about 30 minutes), plus it much easier on everything during startup.

What do you have the AC disconnect voltage set at? I went down to 60v which is the minimum on the Magnum since its so sensitive (one cycle at disconnect voltage) and let my Surge Guard worry about LVD as its less sensitive. If you have the Magnum set most sensitive (UPS mode) it will trip over any slight anomaly.

Hope Mex gets well soon.
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Phil,

I use the microair to reduce the surge so that other folks on the same circuit may have less fluctuation.

I can, and have, run the roof air from the Magnum. I was hoping the Microair would eliminate the momentary overload (red light on Magnum remote) when starting. However that did not work out. i.e. the inverter still overloads briefly when starting the roof air compressor.

What the microair did do, was prevent the autoformer from boosting voltage when starting up the roof air. I've now moved the trigger points up on the Sola Basic, but did not do so in time to see the results of running the air.

I'd love to revamp my solar to 1500 watts--then I could more or less run roof air from the panels.

If I start over, I'll go to 48 volts and a Victron inverter/charger.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Mex is not well and so the trip to pick up the phone has been delayed. I hope he gets better soon.

Don, thanks for the concerning info on David. I sure hope he can and does feel better soon. The world still needs folks like him around to help keep things on an even keel.

I'm curious from your signature ... what do you need the Microair Easy Start for ... as I thought that you weren't too keen on generators and/or air conditioning?

P.S. I'm pretty sure that you're not trying to use A/C for a few hours off your inverter and batteries - even though the Microair would be beneficial even if that was the case! 😉
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mex is not well and so the trip to pick up the phone has been delayed. I hope he gets better soon.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

D.E.Bishop wrote:
I heard from Mex today, he lost names and passwords evidently when the laptop went south.

I wonder if it was the hard drive that died or the laptop itself, such as motherboard or something.

If the latter, the hard drive data can be pulled off easily. I have a hard drive docking station that I just plug the drive into and read it. From there you just move stuff off to wherever you want it, USB stick or whatever.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I have an old laptop kicking around. Got to thinking, it was running hot and shutting down. Kinda forgot about that til now.
But I'm still willing to give it to him if he doesn't come up with one.

Glad you heard from him. My only connection was via PM here.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to ADMINiSTRATOR for being reasonable.
My thoughts are with you MEX, and thanks for all the help.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

prairie_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear he is as well as can be. 🙂

westend
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I heard from Mex today, he lost names and passwords evidently when the laptop went south. He is tired and yet sounds like himself. He had a five hour exam by the neurologists and is very tired, he has has a couple of operations to have done somewhere down the line.

He is using a drill motor that was donated to replace his old one, rather his Mexico family is using it for him and he will soon have heat in is rental house now that they have the holes through the concrete walls. The temps have been to low for him to do bench work but he is looking forward to it. He is a Mad Scientist you know.:W

It was great to hear from him.
Just don't tell me he has started wearing a paisley tie, that would be too much to bear...:E

I hope someone can get him fitted up with a laptop. I have a few laying around but are old and cranky, some needing a hard drive or power supply work. It wouldn't be a fitting solution for Mex.

Hope old Mex can sort out the health issues and get back on the Forum. His insights into 12V systems is a treasure. Wishing for a speedy recovery.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I heard from Mex today, he lost names and passwords evidently when the laptop went south. He is tired and yet sounds like himself. He had a five hour exam by the neurologists and is very tired, he has has a couple of operations to have done somewhere down the line.

He is using a drill motor that was donated to replace his old one, rather his Mexico family is using it for him and he will soon have heat in is rental house now that they have the holes through the concrete walls. The temps have been to low for him to do bench work but he is looking forward to it. He is a Mad Scientist you know.:W

It was great to hear from him.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Admin
Please be careful when discussing donations in open forums.

Forum Rules:
Quote:
Solicitations by private/public agencies, or individuals for any cause are also not allowed.
EndQuote:

Thanks
Admin
RV.net
Admin
RV.net

Gee I missed this thread somehow, just found it now. I've been wondering about Mex myself.

It shocks me that his S4 caught fire! That was my phone, I bought it new. I gave it to him and mailed it down to his US mailing address. He got the phone and it was working perfect. I wonder what happened.

Don, if you have a phone to send him, I have his address. I have an old laptop too. Not the best but it works ok. Even have a spare battery. I'd have to clean up the hard drive, format and reinstall the OS etc.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

MrWizard
He is not indigent or homeless
But his home is much further south, deeper in Mexico and on the coast
He has frequently mentioned Quick Silver, his converted bus, and his son in law the restaurant open air on the beach, and his SIL fishing, and the freezers used to keep the catch frozen

While staying near the U.S. Border , he residing in Mexico for the lower rent, and crossing the border for U.S. medical treatment, this does put an additional strain on his meager social security retirement

If I had to guess, I would say a power fluctuations caught him unaware and fried the pc and phone

Since that was the stated reason for being out of contract, and his back doesn't do well sitting in the hard seats at the internet cafe
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Considering the nature of online forums, I think they're trying to keep the man's personal business personal. I would imagine if you PM some of the posters that have written they have been in touch, they would give you what news they figure he wouldn't mind sharing. JMO of course.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"