cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

California Firearm Compliance

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
I have a license to carry a handgun issued by the State of Texas. For the most part, all states recognize this license... However, California does not. What do I need to do when entering California to comply with the state laws regarding a handgun in my possession (either in the tow vehicle or in the camper).

TIA.....
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9
74 REPLIES 74

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I had hoped that this would be the first gun thread that would die a natural death, but I think there are more posts in the deleted pile than there are in this thread.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
Normally Iโ€™m all for statesโ€™ rights to make laws as they see fit, but this is one area that clearly needs stronger โ€œguidanceโ€ from the feds so this terrible inconsistency isnโ€™t making criminals out of its citizenry when they cross state lines.

You're right on the money with that!

IMHO, gun control just about "everywhere" needs to be at the Federal level for uniformity across the nation. As we travel around in our RV, I for one would like to know what I'm likely to be facing when around any given group of locals.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Normally Iโ€™m all for statesโ€™ rights to make laws as they see fit, but this is one area that clearly needs stronger โ€œguidanceโ€ from the feds so this terrible inconsistency isnโ€™t making criminals out of its citizenry when they cross state lines.

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
04fxts:

Thank you sir...

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
I am from Illinois and I do know the law. If you have a CCW from your home state you may carry concealed inside your vehicle. As soon as you step out of the vehicle you are illegal, pretty simple really. If you want you may place the loaded firearm inside the console or glove box but I would never place it where you have insurance or registration papers. If you leave it in the vehicle it must be secured by locking inside a case or locking the vehicle. If you want to take the firearm with you it must be unloaded and inside a case before you exit the vehicle.
I know there is no logic to any of this but the law was not intended to be logical or keep people safe. This was passed because the federal court of appeals told the state they could not no longer make carrying outside the home illegal. Jim.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing to do with guns but,,, in my area of MN these days you would have to call the police and report the accident right away. There was a time when you could just exchange information on the side of the road but, these days you have to call it in. If no one is injured, if it was a minor accident, and if the police are busy doing something else (which is quite rare) they may not even show up at the accident site. But, you still have to call it in.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not so much as volunteered but asked by the LEO.

That's not what I have read. In each case, it was reported that the person was stopped or in an accident and told the officer that they were in possession of a loaded gun. I have seen no report that the officer questioned them about a gun or requested a "database search".
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
For those with iPhones and maybe similar app for other smart phones, I find an app called CCW is very good, it is updated often. It costs $1.99 but you have the latest in your pocket then.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
It appears that in cases mentioned above the persons VOLUNTEERED that they had a gun in their possession - they were not searched in a database first. And that carrying a loaded gun was in violation of NJ's law requiring all guns to be unloaded and locked in a trunk.

Seems there are three ways to handle this:

1. Follow the rules of the state you are in - if the law says put the unloaded gun in the locked trunk, then put the unloaded gun in the locked truck;

2. Do as you want, don't volunteer information, and accept the consequences for your actions if it goes wrong (e.g., go ahead and carry and if you get caught and arrested, then accept that you violated the laws of the state/country and take the repercussions).

3. Avoid all the amazing places that don't meet your standards.

Not so much as volunteered but asked by the LEO.

I choose number 3. Yes, that's my final answer.
In my younger years, number 2 worked, too.
I try hard to follow the local laws. Hence, I gas up in IN and travel straight through, do not stop, do not get out of the vehicle in IL when traveling west to visit family in UT.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It appears that in cases mentioned above the persons VOLUNTEERED that they had a gun in their possession - they were not searched in a database first. And that carrying a loaded gun was in violation of NJ's law requiring all guns to be unloaded and locked in a trunk.

Seems there are three ways to handle this:

1. Follow the rules of the state you are in - if the law says put the unloaded gun in the locked trunk, then put the unloaded gun in the locked truck;

2. Do as you want, don't volunteer information, and accept the consequences for your actions if it goes wrong (e.g., go ahead and carry and if you get caught and arrested, then accept that you violated the laws of the state/country and take the repercussions).

3. Avoid all the amazing places that don't meet your standards.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
Crowe wrote:
Probably not but it would be better to assume yes.

No such database exists. Many states don't even record gun sales. Best bet is just to adhere to laws of the state you are in using the resources suggested here.

There was a PA woman (IIRC employed in PA as a prison guard) who was initially jailed in NJ after a traffic stop as a result of a data base search revealing she had a CCW. The cop asked if she gad her firearm with her and she answered truthfully, yes. Gov. Christie had to step in to get her released. There have been several other cases reported on firearm related websites of the NJ cops asking out of state CCW holders if they had their firearm with them. So CCW permit data bases are readily accessible to cops.

NJ seams to be a state that does not abide by their own laws. They have a set of rules by which you can travel through their state. If you are stopped and they fine a fire arm even if it is secured properly by their laws you are go to go to jail anyway and after you spend thousands of dollars in attorney fees you get to go free. Every CCW class I have taken referenced NJ and someone it happen to
so be aware and be careful
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
Crowe wrote:
Probably not but it would be better to assume yes.

No such database exists. Many states don't even record gun sales. Best bet is just to adhere to laws of the state you are in using the resources suggested here.

There was a PA woman (IIRC employed in PA as a prison guard) who was initially jailed in NJ after a traffic stop as a result of a data base search revealing she had a CCW. The cop asked if she gad her firearm with her and she answered truthfully, yes. Gov. Christie had to step in to get her released. There have been several other cases reported on firearm related websites of the NJ cops asking out of state CCW holders if they had their firearm with them. So CCW permit data bases are readily accessible to cops.

NJ seams to be a state that does not abide by their own laws. They have a set of rules by which you can travel through their state. If you are stopped and they fine a fire arm even if it is secured properly by their laws you are go to go to jail anyway and after you spend thousands of dollars in attorney fees you get to go free. Every CCW class I have taken referenced NJ and someone it happen to
so be aware and be careful
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The written law will not protect you. In fact the written law, in so many states, is written to benefit the thugs we are trying to defend ourselves from. A person has to do their own constitutionally guaranteed self defense and if that flies in the face of the written law then the written law needs to be changed to our favor.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
No, there isn't a national database that is automagically searched when an officer runs your license. In some states the license is tied to the CPL so it comes up and in others it is not. Michigan used to have it come up but the law changed and the officer must do a specific search of the CPL database rather than a general search.

It is important that people understand that the "duty to inform" differs from state to state. In some states, Michigan is one, you are _required_ to immediately inform if you are detained, (a traffic stop counts), if you are in possession of your concealed pistol. In other states you do not.

It's also important to understand that in some states a "no firearms" sign carries the weight of law while in others they do not though if you are caught you can be charged with trespass if you do not leave immediately when asked.

It's also important to know that some jurisdictions have "silly" rules that can catch you out. My "favorite" because I have to pass through several times a year is Cook County, (Chicago), which has banned laser sighting devices and if found with one the pistol will be confiscated. It's bothersome because my favorite CP came with a laser built into the grip. I never use it and it is always switched off. It's bothersome because I have to remember to switch out with another pistol when I take that trip.

There is no doubt in my mind that handgunlaw.us is the best source of up to date information regarding any state's law, requirements and "silly" rules. Simply type:-

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/STATEYOUAREVISITING.pdf

Simply replace STATEYOUAREVISITING with the full name of the state or just type:-

http://www.handgunlaw.us

Which will give you a clickable map.

No, I am not affiliated with handgunlaw.us but I do like to make sure that idiot states who disregard the constitution in order to subjugate citizens don't get a free shot at people innocently passing through.