cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

? Cooking While Traveling?

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
I almost feel like an ignoramus asking, but I've been wondering for years: In any of the motorhome types does anyone do any cooking while rolling down the road? I don't mean making a multi-course meal in open pots & pans. I'm thinking something like a slow cooker, crock pot or (what's that thing called "Quick Pot" or something like that). I don't think I or DW would ever do it when rolling but I've always wondered.
26 REPLIES 26

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
I would say there are at least 417692 more dangerous things to worry about. I don't, because im lazy, not because I think its unsafe.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Other than somehow a direct short, which would trip a circuit breaker, my slow cooker doesn't get hot enough to set anything on fire, not by a long shot. Even on high, it takes a LONG time to build up to 230-240 deg F, which is hot enough to burn a person but a long ways from igniting any kind of inflammable material.

As far as it becoming a missile, there's a remote chance that could happen I guess, but it's in the trailer and no danger to any passengers.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't ever cooked in my clipper while traveling - I don't use a slow cooker, instapot, etc. I also don't drive with my propane on.

However, if I did cook while driving, putting the slow cooker in the sink would prevent it from flying (heck I already put a teapot in the sink while traveling and it has never flown out). This also prevents anything inside the cooker from spilling out onto the floor - everything is contained in the sink.

If I were in a situation that could cause the slow cooker to fly out of the sink, then the slow cooker is the least of my worries. And for that slow cooker to fly out of the sink and get all the way to the other end of the RV in order to dump it's scalding contents on me... well let's just say I wouldn't put any money down on that happening.

I would not use my oven while driving simply because a sudden stop could potentially have the contents flying out of the oven or spilling in the oven which could potentially cause a fire. My oven is propane and uses a flame. The slow cooker is electric, the outside never gets hot and it is built so as not to tip over in normal circumstances - putting it in a sink or even metal tub on the floor would be enough to keep it secure.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
old guy wrote:
good grief, you people are just an accident waiting to happen. I know I'm one that people have called me nuts many times because I am against traveling with the frig running on propane but this is honestly over the top. I can see it now, when you get the heck burned out of you, well some one else did so I thought I could get away with it too. you are better off putting a roast in foil and placing it on top of the manifold to cook while driving down the road. sorry but after all the years on the fire dept and seeing some of the things I have just makes me want to do things a little better then the people I've pulled out of homes and vehicles.

Double ditto. I've seen a lot of bad injuries too and much of it can be avoided. That's why we just use the mw when we stop. Sometimes we'll do a fry up but for the most part it's just safer to keep a couple of thermoses of hot soup, fresh fruit and sandwiches for those quick stops and for the set-up days.

There's a reason to have everything stowed securely while traveling: sudden stops happen.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Helimech wrote:
We've cooked in the crock pot in the past. Set the Crock in the sink and it stays. Nice to have a hot meal ready when we arrive.

x2
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
good grief, you people are just an accident waiting to happen. I know I'm one that people have called me nuts many times because I am against traveling with the frig running on propane but this is honestly over the top. I can see it now, when you get the heck burned out of you, well some one else did so I thought I could get away with it too. you are better off putting a roast in foil and placing it on top of the manifold to cook while driving down the road. sorry but after all the years on the fire dept and seeing some of the things I have just makes me want to do things a little better then the people I've pulled out of homes and vehicles.

sofive0
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yes! Slow cooker placed in the sink or even use of the oven on occasion. Mainly the slow cooker though. It's very well. You can even put a couple towels around it, just to keep it steady a little more.
2018 Ram 3500 Carolina Customs Flatbed w/gooseneck hitch, 6.7ltr Cummins Diesel Engine
2013 Heartland Sundance 3400QB
Eaz-Lift 15" Gooseneck Adapter

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
I use the crock pot and put it in the sink with towels to brace it. We make fresh coffee while we stop for a short break and pour it off into a thermal pot and put that in the sink.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
We used to have a 12v slow cooker. We'd drop two cans of corned beef hash in it. When it was hot we'd crack 8 eggs in it while flying down the highway. Yummy!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a crockpot with a lid that latches down tight. I would want one of those, with towels packed around it, in the sink.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks ~~ I have been embarrased more than once when I didn't double check

TakeCare ~ TravelSafe ~ HaveFun

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
RIP Jimmy!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
maddog348 wrote:
"..In a class A or C or B, seems why notWRITE with a slow cooker..."

Sorry for stupid But can you please translate 'write' into cooking function

Sorry stupid auto thing on phone. That should have been:

In a class A or C or B why not COOK with a slow cooker.

I don't know why it does this - my tablet does it too - takes a word I type and changes it to something completely different.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Delete