cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Watch downloaded movies on dumb TV -- No internet

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Because I do not know how to ask the question in a few words I was unable to find any answers by googling.

I have a "dumb" TV. I also have a WD Live TV HD Media Player. I DO NOT connect to the internet.

To watch a movie that I have downloaded to my computer. I copy the movie to a USB drive and then I attach the USB drive to the WD Live TV. I know the WD Live will allow me to stream and to connect to netflix and the internet. I know there are other ways to stream movies, but my internet speed will not allow me to do stream.

My WD Live TV is "sick". I need a replacement. I can an find old HD Live TV units on eBay but since they are a number of years old I am looking for a different solution.

Any suggestions???
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
15 REPLIES 15

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Micca. I've used it to replace a dead WD player for a couple years now.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most modern TV's. Be they Dumb or Stupid (THey call them Smart, I call them stupid) have USB ports. Even if they do not they have VGA ports and HDMI and odds are your computer can talk to 'em direct.

EVEN if you have low bandwidth some devcies will let you stream from comptuer direct to TV as well using a home router. Chromecase for example may do that BUT I AM NOT SURE. CC by default wants an internet connection.

ME. I cheat. but then Rube Goldburg would approve of my Setup ๐Ÿ™‚
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
p220sigman wrote:
You can probably get a cheap DVD player that has a USB input. Also, with the cost of TV's now days you may be able to replace the TV with one that has a USB input for not a ton more money too and skip the intermediate device.

Exactly.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
i just found a media player at a thrift store and it works great for me plays any media file i give it Supports SD cards up to 32GB, and USB flash drives and hard drives up to 2TB and comes with a remote also. this one Micca Speck G2

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another option is Appletv. If I have a strong cell signal I stream movies and shows with an iPhone with unlimited data and watch it wirelessly on tv via Appletv without a router.

No cables. No WiFi..
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

MrWizard
OTA recorder, USb digtal playback

this contains functions you might use
like over the air recording of broadcast TV to USB aka digital VCR in HD

but it will play back your downloaded video files from USB
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
yes...BUT they are time limited
example 14 days to start to watch
once started 72 hours to complete watching

you can NOT download today and watch next month

also it has too be played on the device aka tablet/phone it was downloaded too
yes that device can be HDMI connected to your TV
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Amazon Prime and Netflix both allow downloading of much of their product lineup.

whoa, I did not know this!
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Does your TV have an HDMI jack?
If so you can download to a tablet while stopping at a restaurant for lunch. Amazon Prime and Netflix both allow downloading of much of their product lineup. Then simply use a HDMI cable to route to the TV.
We use a cheap RCA tablet for this purpose. Tablet was $59 from Helmart when new, used it for most everything for a while and eventually retired it to TV duty.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
p220sigman wrote:
You can probably get a cheap DVD player that has a USB input. Also, with the cost of TV's now days you may be able to replace the TV with one that has a USB input for not a ton more money too and skip the intermediate device.

They are much cheaper than years ago... You can get a decent, smart TV at 40" for around $200.00 - Costco TV

Yes, nowadays they are much cheaper. A few years ago we bought a Vizio smart TV at Walmart for $200, it's still working great.
I wouldn't bother with a dumb TV.

MrWizard
All you need is a media player
You can get something for $49

Now if you want remote control
Built in storage etc.. Like your. Wd, then it is going to cost more money
You can even do this with your smart phone or tablet using a OTG cable (on the go)

I have a
MEDIASONIC digital recorder player, that will play recorded/downloaded content from USB to the tv using HDMI cable, and they are available on Amazon for around $39
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

p220sigman wrote:

They are much cheaper than years ago... You can get a decent, smart TV at 40" for around $200.00 - Costco TV
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Samsung TV
They all have USB and you can watch, listen to anything on it.