cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

motorola t 800 talk about radios

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
saw a different set of radios at sam's club, talk about t 800 that evidently will link up via bluetooth to cell phones and you can communicate where there is no cell service.
seemed interesting to me.
bumpy
25 REPLIES 25

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
greetings from Nepal to all of you RVers in the states. and you think it is cold where you are.
bumpy

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
Wadcutter wrote:
If Bumpy is looking to stay in touch then there's the Garmin InReach. He can even keep posting on RV.net when he's way out in the boonies.
Garmin InReach

I'll have to take up mountain climbing in Nepal to justify buying one however.
bumpy

We'll all be waiting.
Camped in every state

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
If Bumpy is looking to stay in touch then there's the Garmin InReach. He can even keep posting on RV.net when he's way out in the boonies.
Garmin InReach

I'll have to take up mountain climbing in Nepal to justify buying one however.
bumpy

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Garmin InReach
Camped in every state

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
what about something like this:
Uniden Atlantis 295 Handheld Floating 2-Way 6W Dual Band GMRS/VHF Marine Radio - Camouflage GMRS plus VHF?
bumpy

It's like any other GMRS/FRS radio but also with marine freqs/channels. Power is .5 to 6 watt depending on what frequency is being operated. Lower on FRS and 6W available on marine. Power levels and the way the radios are constructed for those bands are regulated by the FCC.
You're not going to increase range. They will not transmit any further than any other GMRS/FRS radio because they operate on VHF/UHF frequencies. VHF/UHF are line of sight. You might get a couple of miles across flat ground or water with no obstructions. Trees, even fog, can greatly reduce the range.
If you want adventure in your life get caught transmitting on the marine channels while on land and using those channels as if you're on FRS/GMRS/CB.
Camped in every state

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what about something like this:
Uniden Atlantis 295 Handheld Floating 2-Way 6W Dual Band GMRS/VHF Marine Radio - Camouflage
GMRS plus VHF?
bumpy

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
YC 1 wrote:
It seems to make more sense now that I looked at the app. Each user needs a phone plus the radio. The radio just becomes the link between each user. If the radios are using digital modulation their range could be much better than voice.

if one went the Ham radio route, doesn't that mean that everybody would require a radio (of course) and also a ham license?
bumpy

Yes, probably. The Technician exam is pretty easy and opens up the vast world of VHF/UHF. Above 30 MHz, a technician class operator has everything I have. VHF/UHF radios are super cheap now. Even a 4 watt handheld goes a long way.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
YC 1 wrote:
It seems to make more sense now that I looked at the app. Each user needs a phone plus the radio. The radio just becomes the link between each user. If the radios are using digital modulation their range could be much better than voice.

if one went the Ham radio route, doesn't that mean that everybody would require a radio (of course) and also a ham license?
bumpy

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
every thing it does works only through the app on your phone once you connect your phone to the radio with blue tooth.
the app shows what it does Motorola Talkabout app
the app is in the apple app store also.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
does that mean that you can use the "system" TO TEXT BETWEEN the two users? since most folks are addicted to texting, that might be sufficient, along with sending a photo of that 24 point buck you just saw.
bumpy

I believe you can text but you're not texting through your carrier (AT&T, Verizon, etc) like normal but thorough the radio app on your smartphone and only to those who also have a radio setup in your group.

One thing they did mention is that if you're in an area with no cell service but the person you're communicating with has cell service, you can text to them and they can text it out to anyone using their cell service.

To be honest, they indicated this is more for groups trying to find and communicate with each other and isn't for communicating outside your little reasonably close to each other group.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
Maybe I missed something but in the store, they said the radio is not capable of communicating voice from the cell phone, (that's the purpose of the radio) just data. Basically he said the app on your smartphone takes information you designate and transmits it over the radio signal to another connected radio to that person's cell. The idea is when you have no cell service, the radio acts as the radio wave for a data link between radio to radio and each radio acts as link to the app on your smartphone via BT. Did I understand them correctly?

does that mean that you can use the "system" TO TEXT BETWEEN the two users? since most folks are addicted to texting, that might be sufficient, along with sending a photo of that 24 point buck you just saw.
bumpy

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I missed something but in the store, they said the radio is not capable of communicating voice from the cell phone, (that's the purpose of the radio) just data. Basically he said the app on your smartphone takes information you designate and transmits it over the radio signal to another connected radio to that person's cell. The idea is when you have no cell service, the radio acts as the radio wave for a data link between radio to radio and each radio acts as link to the app on your smartphone via BT. Did I understand them correctly?
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin makes the Rhino series that allows voice and GPS location of the other Garmin Rhino radios.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU