cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route advise from Wisconsin Dells to Indiana Dunes SP

sancoots
Explorer
Explorer
I will be heading east for the first time with my 28 foot travel trailer. I am driving from Wisconsin Dells to Indiana Dunes state park and was hoping you could help me with best routes to take with truck and trailer. Also not sure whether we pay at each toll booth and how many there would be on this route or if it is better to take the free roads. Any and all advice on this route appreciated

We are from Canada so I don't think it is economical to get a transponder or IPASS for this one time trip to this area
6 REPLIES 6

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Living in Milwaukee, it's hard to go around Chicago and the tolls. Taking our 5th wheel through Chicago last year (I-94) the tolls are $21 with the I-Pass. Taking I-39 it was $4.65. Without I-Pass, double the price. The I-Pass is also valid in Indiana and other states. When we do have to go through Chicago, we try to leave on a weekend at around 4a.m., traffic is pretty good then.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

sancoots
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All

Thanks for the suggestions. I will take the I39 to I80 route as suggested. I will try to stop at the cash booths, as I don't have a navigator and I have read that you need to know the time and which toll booth, and I think that might be hard to remember when I am driving. Also I am from Canada with Canadian plates on both the truck and trailer, so not sure which they would use. We only have rear licence plates in Alberta.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
Don't go through Chicago, you will regret it. Take I39 to I80 as suggested above. The tolls on this route will be about $7.00 in total, pulling a trailer. I just took this route from Michigan to Baraboo WI 5 months ago.

It really depends on the time of day you go through on 294. Mid-day is not bad. Still coming from the Dells I also recommend I39 to I80.

Personally I would not bother stopping at the toll booths. It's not like the old days when there were many cash lanes. The lines are often long now. You can pay online after the fact so long as you do so within 7 days. In fact their plan is to eliminate cash toll booths soon.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't go through Chicago, you will regret it. Take I39 to I80 as suggested above. The tolls on this route will be about $7.00 in total, pulling a trailer. I just took this route from Michigan to Baraboo WI 5 months ago.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
There is no easy way that is toll free. The I90 to I39 to I80 is the route you want least number of tolls. I believe 3 total $10-12 for 4 axles day time cash rate. I remember when the tolls were 30 cents and the toll road was going to be paid off years ago. You'll want to pickup I94 once in Indiana.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could take US39 down to I80 east, but beware the roads will have very heavy traffic in the Chicago area. Even the toll roads will be busy, but better. Have no idea the tolls as we never travel toll roads. We are not in a hurry, so work our way east on free roads south of I-80, then head north when we are far enough east for our destination in MI.