cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Astronomy: Super Blood Wolf Moon

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
This upcoming Sunday's total eclipse will be interesting for those of us who RV to Star Parties and other astronomy related events. For this one you won't need a telescope.
Viewing conditions for your locale and times.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
9 REPLIES 9

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
drsteve wrote:
I'm kinda amused by the trend of calling every celestial event by some fantastic sounding name, no matter how mundane it really is. The moon always looks red during a total lunar eclipse.

For many of us, it is not a "mundane" event.. Some of us enjoy looking at the night sky. It is a super moon ( closer to the earth and bigger). It is a lunar eclipse. And it is the first full moon of the year (wolf moon).

If you don't want to see it, stay inside and sleep. As for me, I will be looking up at the sky that night, weather permitting.

Yeah, what I meant is that lunar eclipses aren't exactly rare, not that they aren't interesting. I'll definitely be watching, weather permitting, even though I've seen it many times.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
I'm kinda amused by the trend of calling every celestial event by some fantastic sounding name, no matter how mundane it really is. The moon always looks red during a total lunar eclipse.

Not so mundane to me - there is actually some history to this particular name. This eclipse occurs at the point the moon is closest to the earth making it appear larger in the sky which is also called the perigee. AKA super moon

That makes the moon look extra close and extra bright โ€“ up to 14% bigger and 30% brighter than a full moon at its farthest point from Earth, known as the apogee.

This is the first of three supermoons in 2019. The others will be on Feb. 19 and March 21. Of these, the Feb. 19 full moon will be the closest and largest full supermoon of 2019.

Although the moon is in Earth's shadow, some sunlight still reaches the moon. The sunlight passes through Earth's atmosphere, which causes our atmosphere to filter out most of the blue light which makes the moon appear red to people on Earth.- AKA Blood moon.

"Wolf" moon. According to the Old Farmer's Almanac, Native Americans called the January full moon the "wolf" moon because it appeared when wolves howled in hunger outside the villages.

The almanac said ancient peoples commonly tracked the seasons by following the lunar calendar (vs. todayโ€™s solar calendar).

For millennia, people across the world, including Native Americans, named the months after natureโ€™s cues - it wasn't made up by members of an RV forum.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think drsteve meant "mundane" in the sense of boring and not worth the effort to see. I think he meant that a red moon during a lunar eclipse is standard operating procedure for lunar eclipses. It's what happens. It's normal (aka mundane).

A lunar eclipse is always interesting. ๐Ÿ™‚
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

For many of us, it is not a "mundane" event.. Some of us enjoy looking at the night sky. It is a super moon ( closer to the earth and bigger). It is a lunar eclipse. And it is the first full moon of the year (wolf moon).

If you don't want to see it, stay inside and sleep. As for me, I will be looking up at the sky that night, weather permitting.

dedmiston
drsteve wrote:

Yeah, but this one is expected to be bloodier and wolfier than ever.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
True. Maybe it's to attract folks who are chasing werewolves in the park - stoned... (sorry always think of that Blackie & The Rodeo Kings song when wolves come up. ๐Ÿ™‚

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for sharing. Might have to brave the cold and out to watch.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for that information.