cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Directv H25 problems

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
Several months back I posted about using an H25 receiver with a dome antenna. I was told I needed to install a swm 840 kit which I did. I recently was able to use this set up and it worked fine. However once I returned home I was unable to receive any HD channels. I tried hide SD channels, show all channels, but only SD channels came in. I also tried to reboot the receiver and a few other things I read online with no luck. Before I spend who knows how long on the phone with Directv I thought I would see if anyone here had this issue. Thanks
58 REPLIES 58

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
beachcomber_1 wrote:
I have use a D12 for many years, if DirecTV forces HD I will drop and switch to cable for home. I can buy adapter for my King dome for Dish and switch to pay as you go for the RV.

You can change this post from "if DirecTV" go "when DirecTV" forces HD as it will happen "soon". The only question is the timing.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
With the adoption of HD most major stations switched from VHF analog to UHF (which is also analog transmission) for HD and SD. UHF is line of sight and generally less range. The change was transparent to many unless they were out of UHF coverage or noticed new channels like 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 etc.

But others had to upgrade their antennas or make other changes. Yes there was a lot of SD content last time I checked. But HD has taken over and 4K is pending...
You seem to be confused on your terms. Both HD(High Definition) and SD(Standard Definition) are digital. There are no full power TV stations broadcasting analog. When digital TV started, most stations broadcast both analog and digital simultaneously. This required two transmitters and typically two antennas. For most stations that were broadcasting analog on VHF there was no spectrum available to broadcast the digital on VHF so the only option was to broadcast the digital on UHF. When analog TV was shut down in 2009, some TV stations moved the UHF digital broadcast down to VHF. The main reason for doing this was the huge saving in power usage. Many stations where broadcasting at 1000Kw ERP (Effective Radiated Power) for UHF. They can realize the same coverage using only 50Kw ERP or less once they switched to VHF. This caused a bit of problem for some viewers. Antenna manufactures jumped on the bandwagon and started marketing "Digital Antennas" which were UHF only. Since most digital broadcasts were on UHF prior to the analog shutdown this wasn't much of a problem. When some stations changed to VHF, many viewers could not receive these channels on their "Digital Antennas" because they were UHF.

I am a retired broadcast TV technician and was involved in the installation of much of the equipment required for the transition to digital for the station I worked at.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tom_M wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
The OTA switch to HD resulted in many stations on UHF with more limited range and line of sight required. Basically you get HD or not while SD could be snowy but still viewable.
There seems to be confusion on what HD and SD are. HD is High Definition and SD is Standard Definition. Both are digital. All full power TV stations in the US are broadcasting digital. Many TV stations broadcast both HD and SD. Typically one HD and one or more SD programs. Some broadcast only multiple SD programs. Most of the programming on OTA TV is Standard Definition.
With the adoption of HD most major stations switched from VHF analog to UHF (which is also analog transmission) for HD and SD. UHF is line of sight and generally less range. The change was transparent to many unless they were out of UHF coverage or noticed new channels like 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 etc.

But others had to upgrade their antennas or make other changes. Yes there was a lot of SD content last time I checked. But HD has taken over and 4K is pending...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
I have use a D12 for many years, if DirecTV forces HD I will drop and switch to cable for home. I can buy adapter for my King dome for Dish and switch to pay as you go for the RV.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
The OTA switch to HD resulted in many stations on UHF with more limited range and line of sight required. Basically you get HD or not while SD could be snowy but still viewable.
There seems to be confusion on what HD and SD are. HD is High Definition and SD is Standard Definition. Both are digital. All full power TV stations in the US are broadcasting digital. Many TV stations broadcast both HD and SD. Typically one HD and one or more SD programs. Some broadcast only multiple SD programs. Most of the programming on OTA TV is Standard Definition.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
My old carryout is suppose to work with Dish and Directv will just need to know which receivers i'll need. Glad to hear I have ten months to decide.

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm going to go with the King Quest VQ4550 bundle with the Wally, it is Dish Satellite and I will do pay as you go. I will leave DTV in the house for now. Too bad DTV doesn't offer anything like Dish does. If I like it I may just use the Dish setup at home (wally can have 2 TV's on it, and that's all I have at home) and get rid of DTV.
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
campermama,Thanks for the info on the new date. I'm still waiting on my letter, wonder why they pushed the date forward 10 months. Maybe they do have concerns about rv users switching to dish. I'll be trying my replacement D-12 in the RV soon but also taking the H-25 and swm kit just in case the D-12 doesn't lock on to the satellite.

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a D12 and H25 in the house they both get all channels. I also used the D12 in my RV but no local channels.

My Adventure Blog:

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Campermama: How about some additional information please. What receivers do you have? An SD receiver like the D12 have not been able to get locals where we live. They are only on HD receivers.

Moisheh

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
campermama wrote:
I got a letter yesterday! This is what it says....

Starting on 2/18/20, you will no longer be able to view your local channels with some of your current DIRECTV equipment. All you need to do is call us to order your new equipment. Thereโ€™s no additional cost* to you.
Good to know that they have moved the date from 4/19.

Unlikely they would replace a RV dish unless perhaps it's a portable and manual dish.

Bob

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got a letter yesterday! This is what it says....

Starting on 2/18/20, you will no longer be able to view your local channels with some of your current DIRECTV equipment. All you need to do is call us to order your new equipment. Thereโ€™s no additional cost* to you.

My Adventure Blog:

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
I keep hearing of letters being sent, but have seen none. If anyone on this form has one I wish they would post it so the people here would know for sure its happening. If an when it does my plan is to move to dish for the RV as my dome is good for either not sure of home service yet. As far as directv not wanting or caring about losing customers they sure are out there trying to get people to switch where I never see dish doing this.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
campermama wrote:
I still have the D-12 and use it on the road with the King Quest 4100, I don't get any local stations (wish I did). My only other receiver is the H-25 but don't want to have the same problems as GTO66 did, plus I don't have the SWM8 kit.
So I'm hoping somebody comes up with a solution to all this when SD is obsolete.
Maybe I will just have to go to some high powered antenna (if there is one) and forget about satellite while on the road.
Talk to nearby neighbors and see if they have a solution for OTA.

Bob