cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailair pin box traps water causing rust

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
My 18k Trailair pin box traps water at the top of it just aft of the air valve. Serious rusting is occuring. Anyone heard of a fix for this? Drilling a hole in it isn't feasible without removing the pin box.Thanks.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3
5 REPLIES 5

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drilled a hole in mine to get it to drain. Worked good.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone.I cleaned up the rust the best I could with Naval Jelly. I'll look into drilling holes again.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I drilled two holes, one on either side. They are at the front, just behind the wall that traps the water. I spray painted the the area where water gets trapped and it's not really an easy job because of overspray. I also sprayed paint through the holes as best as possible but still have to clear them of debris and rust every once in a while.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
What I have done...โ€ฆ..buy the small shrink wrap with the handle at Lowes or HD....5" wide and you can wrap the pin box with the wrap.
cpaulsen

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jerry B wrote:
My 18k Trailair pin box traps water at the top of it just aft of the air valve. Serious rusting is occuring. Anyone heard of a fix for this? Drilling a hole in it isn't feasible without removing the pin box.Thanks.

Why can't you drill a hole, if it's a question of room there are right angle drill motors or 90 deg adapters. Plus stubby drill bits.

Otherwise the only thing I can think of is really cleaning down to the bare metal then using good primer then several coats of high quality epoxy paint. The Navy, last I heard, uses 5 or more coats of paint on their ships.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper