cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Possible leak from propane gauge

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
My TT is just over one year old. I was hooking up full propane tanks to the trailer in anticipation of winter and it seems like propane may be leaking from around the metal clamp around one of the rubber hoses which runs from the splitter/gauge to the tank just at the end before the screw assembly. I turned it off and just use the other side for now.. Seems a strange place for a leak. Suggestions? Maybe another more common leak spot? Or Iโ€™m screwing on incorrectly?? Most importantly, how do I fix without lugging the trailer 40 minutes away to the shop?
9 REPLIES 9

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes. Check out those crimps... way better.

Make sure you are getting what you expect. The link is 12" long and connects to the regulator with an inverted flare fitting (very common).

If you want longer or NPT you need a different part number.

Cavagna pigtails on RV+

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
I think you mean the pigtail. For a superior crimp I recommend replacement with Cavagna brand pigtail.

https://www.amazon.com/Cavagna-190-0032-Acme-Pigtail-Hangtag/dp/B00FFAZCFS

is this it? is this something I can do, it looks pretty straightforward.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
After buying several hoses that would not hold up, I got fed up with the cheap junk being produced with weak crimps and had a local industrial hose supplier make up a couple hoses for me. They used propane rated hose that had a thicker wall than the cheap junk I was buying with better quality crimped on sleeves.

A lot of the problem is the hose getting rotated on the barbs when the crimps are not tight enough. That was the problem I had when switching between 20 and 30 lb cylinders in cold weather. The hose would become stiffer in the cold and wound up turning slightly in stead of flexing when going from a taller to shorter cylinder or shorter to taller cylinder. As the barb gouged the inside of the hose when it rotated the hose would begin to leak.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
If it is the crimp end on the pig tail, I think that may be quite common. One of mine was leaking during the PDI.

If you find the leak and it is the crimped end o the pig tail, you might consider just fixing/replacing it yourself. For me, that would be a better option that the 40 mile yank down the road and the accompanying PITA.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you mean the pigtail. For a superior crimp I recommend replacement with Cavagna brand pigtail.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
It is common for the rubber hose crimp rings to leak. Just replace BOTH hoses as if one leaks, odds are the other will start in a few months. Under warranty, OEM's replace both. Doug

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
This happened to me too. Twice in 2 years since the trailer was new. Just bought new parts to replace them. Figured the original parts were cheapo.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
BIL had a leak last year. It was the control valve that allowed you to switch between the 2 tanks. He just unscrewed the hoses, bought a new valve and installed it himself.

At my S&B I had a leak on the outdoor kitchen. Turned out to be the hoses themselves. Using soapy water, I found numerous leaks between the fittings. Went to a local dealer that fabricated hoses and had new ones made. A few minutes with a couple of wrenches and done, leak fixed.

Checked for other leaks after repair with more soapy water. None found. Both systems still working fine.

Many propane lines have swivels at the end to allow you to unthread them without having to twist the whole line.
Dan

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You say it "may" be leaking - have you hit it with some soapy water (Windex works great)?