cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wonderful First Trip In New (TO US ) Class A

allwthrrider
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, Stopping by to share Our experience in our new to us Class A.

After owning a Class C for years then selling because wife & I purchased a Home we were finally able to purchase a Class A diesel pusher,A nice 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD 3slides with fireplace designed pretty much for 2 people to be comfortable . After cleaning & fixing minor issues & having 4 new drive tires installed we headed back east from Ca to Illinois to visit my family for Christmas. ( My first Christmas off in 27 yrs).

We pulled out Thursday afternoon before xmas after wife got off work heading east towing our Jeep, was pleasantly surprised how the 400hp Cummins pulled the Sierras never dropping below 50mph on the grade. After getting into Nevada we ran until 9pm & decided to stop at a rest area get a goodnights sleep & hit it hard the next day so leveled the coach & went to sleep.

Next morning after coffee & breakfast hit the road stopping every 4 hrs to let Sammy (our German shepherd ) out to take care of business we make Rawlins, Wy around 4pm Friday afternoon to find out the highway is closed to trucks & Rv's due to 60mph plus winds heading east, So pull into the far back of a truck stop put the jacks down level the coach & start exerting the slides. Both front slides extend normally but when extending bedroom slide it moves about 3 in then stops won't move in or out & discover fwd slides won't move either.

SO, I get out the owners manual & start reading so I can find & check fuses only to discover EVERYWHERE theres supposed to be fuses there isn't, So after spending hrs crawling around inside & out in 15dg weather & 40 mph winds we go to sleep, I wake at 4am have coffee & breakfast & decide OK I'll retract the slides manually & continue on. WRONG!!!!!!.

I go outside wind still howling plus adds snow on the ground After opening the pressure relief screws on the solenoids which are in a most ridicules & inaccessible area the bedroom slide rolls out even more, I get passenger side fwd slide in & start on drivers side, 4 turns fwd jack screw 4 turns aft jack screw get slide about halfway in & BANG aft jackscrew gamble nut breaks, After calling out a mobile RV & Truck repair truck nothing they can do for us so now wife is starting to have a breakdown of her own, So after 2 days in a hotel in Rawlins I bought cargo straps wrapped them around the coach & Christmas eve we head back west & make Salt Lake City & get a hotel (Wife followed me in a hual)

Christmas day while walking the halls of the hotel discover 2 doors down from our unit theres crime scene tape & a sign on the door the reads "Do Not Enter By Order Of Chief Of Police", Anyway day after Christmas Drop Rv off at a repair facility where its been ever since & still waiting for them to complete it & we drove home in a uhaul.

First update from shop is the motor on the pump failed so after they replace that then they'll extend the slide & fix the jack screw.

And one more thing I would like to point out the absolute rudeness of truck driver today, When I parked at the Truckstop I parked at the VERY VERY back of the lot, I was a 150 yrds away from the closes truck & 2 POS's pulled their trucks rt up next to us as close as they could get & let their trucks Idle all night, 35 yrs ago I used to drive & I never ever would have thought of doing something like that.
25 REPLIES 25

allwthrrider
Explorer
Explorer
Well heres a update, Got called Jan 29 that the coach was all & ready for pickup, Great I'll fly out on the 31st & pick it up. Got called the 30th "Hey still has problems the solenoid valve for extend side of bedroom slide is failing now & slide keeps creeping out" Great lets go ahead & replace that too. So ended up fly to SLC on Feb 9 got to the shop and as I'm checking everything out I put all the slides out, okey I bring them in nope, the left fwd slide won't come in, Since its Saturday they have to call the tech in that worked on it turns out that since the retract solenoid was replaced on that slide apparently the pressure was to good with new pump & all it blew out the extend solenoid. So 2 guys lifted the ends of the slide to get it up then I was able to retracted it with the pump, So got on the road & now its back in CA, I have to order another solenoid but I'm thinking of just replacing the rest of them at the same time. New ones have a simple lever to flip to release pressure instead of dealing with a socket & ratchet.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
That Vectra is a nice coach! There were some nice features on there like side rad and independent front suspension (IFS) that you won't find in the Winnebago line today. Their new Horizon which is currently top dog does not have IFS, and only one model (42Q Horizon) has side rad.

Check out www.winnebagoind.com under Resources and you can download drawings, manuals, and even parts lists for your coach. It's a great way to learn about it.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
allwthrrider wrote:
After cleaning & fixing a few minor issues plus working on eliminating as many rattles as possible I did change out most the light to LED's.I will finish that portion first thing when I get it home. Second thing i need to work on is setting it up for winter use. going to order heat blankets for the all tanks & wrap all waterlines with heat tape. I'm thinking of mounting 4 golf cart batteries in the lower compartment with a diode on the charging cable so they will be dedicated to the purpose of running a small inverter to power the heat blankets & water line only.

The fwd tv has already been replaced with a 42 in flat screen above the fireplace & the rear tv I removed because it was one of those "Boat Anchors" & wife & I don't believe in tv's in the bedroom, I'm thinking of installing a small safe in it's place.

"I'm thinking of mounting 4 golf cart batteries in the lower compartment...."
What lower compartment, if I may ask? Those batteries are 67 lbs. EACH! So, that's 268 lbs of batteries on a compartment floor that may or may not be able to handle that kind of weight. And with our less than perfect U.S.roads out in the great U.S.A, I'd be leary of that kind of weight bouncing on a compartment floor.

Good luck on your endeavor.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

allwthrrider
Explorer
Explorer
After cleaning & fixing a few minor issues plus working on eliminating as many rattles as possible I did change out most the light to LED's.I will finish that portion first thing when I get it home. Second thing i need to work on is setting it up for winter use. going to order heat blankets for the all tanks & wrap all waterlines with heat tape. I'm thinking of mounting 4 golf cart batteries in the lower compartment with a diode on the charging cable so they will be dedicated to the purpose of running a small inverter to power the heat blankets & water line only.

The fwd tv has already been replaced with a 42 in flat screen above the fireplace & the rear tv I removed because it was one of those "Boat Anchors" & wife & I don't believe in tv's in the bedroom, I'm thinking of installing a small safe in it's place.

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
allwthrrider wrote:
I was easily 150 yrds away from the closes truck & was not interfering in anyway plus I filled up so I was also a customer their behavior was totally uncalled for.

We wonโ€™t stay in a truck stop because of these reasons, some flying jโ€™s and Pilots have a large area in the front (passenger car pumps) and we might stay up there if thereโ€™s room. I always ask and they say park anywhere you want without blocking driveways. Sorry about all your troubles, hopefully everything is good to go now??
Barney & Penny with our puppies Lucy & Ricky
2008 Fleetwood Discovery
NHRA Drag racing is our habit :C
Good Sams, FMCA, Cummins Power Club, Coach-Net

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
allwthrrider wrote:
@Fireup, I'd like to hear about what mod's you made to your rig

allwthrrider,
The list is not long but, significant. One of the first things I did was, change from (3) 12V Interstate (junk) "Marine/Deep cycle" (yeah sure they are) to, (4) 6V Costco Golf Cart deep cycle batteries. The four new ones fit like a glove in the existing battery tray. We do a fair amount of boon docking/remote/non-hookup camping, (whatever one wants to call it) and, the staying power of the 6V Golf cart batteries just destroys the 12v marine versions.

I just recently changed our bathroom dual handle faucet to a single handle Delta faucet. Man, what a pain but, well worth it. We both like single handle faucets way over the dual handle ones.

I changed ALL of the interior lights to LEDs within the first couple of months of ownership, about 7 years ago. While a bit expensive, it was without a doubt, one smart move for many reasons. Take for example, those 6, over head, 20 watt (ea) Halogen ceiling "Puck" lights. You could turn them on and, within about 10 seconds, the lens was hot enough to burn your skin. NOT GOOD! Second, using advanced math, 6 x 20 watts is 120 watts, just for the kitchen and living room area, NOT GOOD!

So, I got wafer LED bulbs with G-4 bases and, we have the same exact amount of light and, the same color only the total wattage of all 6 LEDs, is right at about 3 watts. BIG SAVINGS in battery power. I've also changed my florescent lights to LED strip lights. Also a fair savings in power. All the bedroom lights are also LEDs. I also did the compartment lights in LEDs. In two of the compartments, I messed around with LED strip lighting. Wow, those are really nice for night time vision when goofing around in those compartments.

I don't know if your coach still has what I refer to as, the "Sony Boat Anchor" original front TV or not but, I removed that monster, all 108 lbs of it, and installed an EIGHT POUND, 32" LED flat screen and altered the face frame to make it look like the factory did it. It was an intense project but, fun at the same time. Without a doubt, also one smart move. I removed and cleaned up all un needed structural metal and bracing that was needed for the original TV. The new Samsung is not only considerably lighter but, phenomenally clearer and more vivid.

I kept the batwing antenna for over-the-air TV and installed a digital signal finder that helps immensely in the search for the highest strength TV signals. You'd think you were right there, in the TV, it's so clear. I was so happy with the results of that project, I dove into replacing the mini-boat anchor in the bed room. I now have a Visio 24" LED in the bedroom. Also seriously better viewing than the original.

The old, seriously dated, carpet was in need of replacement. It wasn't worn, it was just UGLY. So, both of us being a bit "old school", we opted for just replacing the carpet. I gutted the coach in terms of all the furniture, both captains front seats and the kitchen table and chairs. The carpet man was really appreciative of that.

Once that was done, the main, double recliner couch was also DATED. So, we zoomed over to San Diego (from where we live here in Lake Havasu City AZ) to Upholstery Fabric Outlet and purchased some material for both the double recliner couch and, all new valances. The couch is/was too big to remove from the coach so, I disassembled it, and took all the pieces to a local upholsterer and he redid the couch. That looked so nice, I had to dive into making all new valances for the Windows.

The reason I had to make them was because, we intended to go to, in the future sometime, double roller day night shades. And they need a deeper mounting than what was there in the original valances. My wife sewed up all new valance covers while I constructed new ones and covered them in 1/4" foam. Then I applied the new covers and, installed all of them.

Then, we found a pretty fair deal from a gent/vendor at the Yuma weekly swap meet on the dual roller, day-night shades. The company is called Shade Pro. Not only was it a good deal for all our windows but, from the time we signed the order, to the minute they hit our doorstep at home in Havasu, was about 4-5 days. MCD and others were as much as 6-10 weeks out and, a lot higher in cost.

Our stove area back wall had no back splash from the factory. Some come with mirrors at that time but, ours had nothing. So, off to Home Depot and Lowes and we found some really nice backsplash to compliment all the new colors we recently changed to in the coach.

Ok, enough for now, don't want to take up the whole thread with our mods. Again, I'd be glad to help with maintenance tips, mods, and general '04 - '05 - '06 Winne/Itasca. Do not hesitate to PM me with questions you might not want to ask on here.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

allwthrrider
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
RV repair SLC

I went to this place a few years ago in SLC. They were fast and solved my issue with my dirty MAF that was causing O2 sensor Check Engine Light problems.

Hope all comes out well with yours.

Matt has been pretty good about keeping me informed about the progress.

allwthrrider
Explorer
Explorer
@Fireup, I'd like to hear about what mod's you made to your rig

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
RV repair SLC

I went to this place a few years ago in SLC. They were fast and solved my issue with my dirty MAF that was causing O2 sensor Check Engine Light problems.

Hope all comes out well with yours.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

allwthrrider
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
What's the name of the repair shop in Salt Lake City? I'm headed there for a couple weeks in July.

Let us know how you like them.

Clay''s RV and Powersports, Strange thing is while sitting in the hotel room in Rawlins doing a search for repair shop Campling world was the only one that came up & boy where the reviews bad. Once we got to SLC a couple more came up & Clays had pretty much all 5 stars so I took it there.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
What's the name of the repair shop in Salt Lake City? I'm headed there for a couple weeks in July.

Let us know how you like them.

US Gear Brakes

allwthrrider
Explorer
Explorer
Got a call from the repair shop in Salt Lake today, New electric motor for hyd pump installed plus new solenoid valve that was leaking, jacks & slide operating now, after extending slides could not get good numbers off jack screw & bushing after working with Winnebago most of the day believe they now have good numbers so now waiting on those parts to arrive.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
It never fails....everything works great until you're a thousand miles from home.

US Gear Brakes

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
"Fire Up"...I had just typed pretty much your same sediments
๐Ÿ™‚
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman