One mechanics opinion about oil

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Is fancy expensive oil worth it?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
56 REPLIES 56

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Or just change your oil on a normal basis and you will have nothing to worry about and no need for an oil analysis!

Exactly.......That is unless you like pissin money away to Blackstone or someone else. May as well drain all the fluids and send those out to be ANALyzed also, even the washer fluid if it suits ya. You never know, it may be contaminated and raise it's freezing point before you can spray it all out.

I prefer spending money on analyzing beer.
Many people disagree with your opinion. Personally I feel about my vehicle somewhat as I feel about myself: I like to know how the interior is faring. Sometimes tests will tell something you need to know.

Sometimes people just simply don't share your opinion, no need to be so disagreeable about it.

I would think he was not disagreeable. but he was just NOT anally retentive.
bumpy
Nope, he was disagreeable. I figure if I think something written would be disagreeable if said in person, then it's disagreeable.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Oil testing for OTR semis and heavy equipment can be a huge money saver. Since the cost of oils changes is high and being aware of problems before they become catastrophic is important. On pickups, it is not so expensive so you can basically change out for what the test costs. However it is still nice to know how your oil holds up so sending it off will tell you if you intervals are correct and if there is anything you need to know about what is going on in your engine. If your running a diesel pickup out of OEM warranty, then sending a sample off once a year wouldn't be a bad idea. CAT here takes oil samples on every piece of Heavy Equipment they trade in (at least here). They want to know what is going on inside the engine before they become owners of it.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Or just change your oil on a normal basis and you will have nothing to worry about and no need for an oil analysis!

Exactly.......That is unless you like pissin money away to Blackstone or someone else. May as well drain all the fluids and send those out to be ANALyzed also, even the washer fluid if it suits ya. You never know, it may be contaminated and raise it's freezing point before you can spray it all out.

Many people disagree with your opinion. Personally I feel about my vehicle somewhat as I feel about myself: I like to know how the interior is faring. Sometimes tests will tell something you need to know.

Sometimes people just simply don't share your opinion, no need to be so disagreeable about it.

I would think he was not disagreeable. but he was just NOT anally retentive.
bumpy

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Not an absolute...it depends on lots of other things

The OEM takes into consideration most folks of a bell curve...

I change my oil/filter when the PSI fluctuates or consumes oil

The cost of a test pays for most of the new oil n filter

I don't try to sqweeze every mile out of an oil charge

I do drive VERY hard and know my vehicles

Just IMHO...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Factory spec oil at factory specified intervals.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
So you're saying changing the oil on a normal basis cancels any wear or other issues? That may be news to people who change their oil regularly and still have engine problems.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not blindly go to my FULL 15k without looking inside!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
I change the Oil and filter every 5k miles, very easy to keep track of.

I change mine with excellent reports every 15k. I KNOW the condition of my oil and engine, very few do.

Easy to keep track of.

Just got my oil analysis back after the oil was in the engine for 3 1/2 years and 14,227 miles. TBN was still >7. I could have left it in there!
I have two motors that depend on clean oil for longevity a 5.4 with cam phasers and a 6.0 Diesel, both are know to have problems with dirty oil. My old Dodge I changed every 10k miles and it's still running around town with mega miles on it.

Oil analysis will tell you if the oil is "dirty." If you're on this site and you're an enthusiast about keeping your stuff in tip-top shape, I highly recommend you use oil analysis, even if you don't change your oil change habits. It can reveal a problem before it gets expensive and is absolutely worth the cost.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
colliehauler wrote:

I change mine with excellent reports every 15k. I KNOW the condition of my oil and engine, very few do.

Easy to keep track of.

Just got my oil analysis back after the oil was in the engine for 3 1/2 years and 14,227 miles. TBN was still >7. I could have left it in there!
I have two motors that depend on clean oil for longevity a 5.4 with cam phasers and a 6.0 Diesel, both are know to have problems with dirty oil. My old Dodge I changed every 10k miles and it's still running around town with mega miles on it.

Oil analysis will tell you if the oil is "dirty." If you're on this site and you're an enthusiast about keeping your stuff in tip-top shape, I highly recommend you use oil analysis, even if you don't change your oil change habits. It can reveal a problem before it gets expensive and is absolutely worth the cost.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
colliehauler wrote:

Easy to keep track of.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
colliehauler wrote:

Easy to keep track of.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Easy to keep track of.

I saw on my 5.7L gas engine, a bit of a jump when I ran to 15k. That time I also used std mobile 1 instead of extended life.

My wife's garage queen, it get changed at 5k... only because I don't like oil sitting in an engine for more than 2 years.