cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiberglass Siding Cracking Near Slide Out???

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I have an Open Range 5th wheel that is less than a year old. I recently noticed that the fiberglass siding near one of my slide outs is cracking--not just at the surface / gelcoat, but the actual fiberglass itself. I have about a 2-3 inch long crack.

It has been cold here recently. I assume this has something to do with it. Any thoughts on what might cause this? Is this a common thing ?

thanks for your help

Matt
27 REPLIES 27

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like the gears slipping from a bad gearbox for the slide. BAL Accuslide had some bad gearboxes. If you can get a look at it on top from the inside, it's probably part no. R25076. There will also be a sticker with the serial no. If it starts with a 15 that is from the bad group. They were subsequently redesigned, with the s/n starting with a 17 or 18. I've already had one replaced and I have 2 more spares ready. This is one of the more notorious problems with Open Range.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
So...I put my slides out to access some stuff inside the trailer and then went to pull them back in yesterday. The rear slide on the same side as the fiberglass crack would not go in properly. It kept making a loud banging noise and jerking violently. Finally got it in, but not all the way (still a couple of inches short of closed).

Could this be related to the issue with the crack and an indication of a potential frame issue?

I have never had it do this before.

The rear slide is the heaviest one since it has the fridge, etc. and is on the same side of the camper but opposite end as the crack.

Not super thrilled right now with my major purchase that is not even a year old yet.

My appointment at the dealer is next Monday so I will have it in pretty soon, but would like to get an idea about what is causing the slide out issue now.

thoughts?

thanks
Matt

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
I did the frame flex check that was described above and found that there was no flex in the frame. So that's good. Appears that it is not a frame failure at least.

Matt

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
I get the wife situation In my opinion I would by-pass the dealers as they will very likely give you the run around (remember they work for the manufacturer), if it was me (and it was a few years ago) I would go to the manufacture, Call Cary at (574)825-0647, he's the service manager from Open Range, I talked to him and he seemed to be a good egg! Good luck Matt,,, Keep us posted!

Red Green: All it takes is a little imagination
, some mechanical ability, and neighbors who
mind their own business.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm. I would not be shocked if this were the case either. I had serious issues with the brakes not working only a couple of weeks after getting the unit. Brakes and hubs needed to be replaced. So I am not super impressed by Lippert as it is.

I have an appointment with a dealer for repair, but it's not the dealer I bought it from. The dealer I bought it from is 3 hours a way.

If this is going to be a big issue and a potential battle with Lippert to get them to fix it then I wonder if it is worth me making the trip to drop it off at the dealer I purchased it from. They at least have incentive to go to bat for me if they want to keep me as a customer.

What do you think?

Do you think it is safe for me to open up the slide out without doing more damage or would I be taking a risk?

I can tell you that my wife is already super pissed about this trailer. She was furious that the brakes went on it already. I have not yet broken this news to her. She was already stated she wants our money back. If there is a frame problem then I would have a hard time telling her she is wrong. Big purchase to have it be deadlined so soon.

thanks again
matt

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
I bet it's a frame flexing issue, Lippert's usual crummy quality! When it comes to the dealer remember the old saying "never ask a question that you don't already know the answer to" First get two tape measures and a helper, measure from a FIXED EAQUAL POINTS on the underside of the deck (the cut-out where the truck fits) to the rear corners of the pin-box and write down both left and right measurements then hook up the trailer and lift the front landing gear to put a load on the fiver' then re-measure at the same points to see if they match and if they are different you have a flexing issue due to a frame failure! Get on the dealer ASAP and don't let him tell you different, if you can over-see the repair as when Lippert did mine it still flexed and they had to do it again properly, THIS IS NOT A COMPANY TO TRUST and flexing is a SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE! Good luck!

Red Green: If life gives you lemons, throw 'em
into a quart of vodka.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Mine already had that joint from the factory. I did put a piece of eternabond over it to keep it sealed.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Okay. That is somewhat relieving. I was starting to get the impression that it was not even safe at this point to open up the slide out for fear of further and more severe damage.

Matt

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
Some MFG's actually make a joint there and put a piece of trim in the slice.
I know Keystone Montana HC's do. Preventative warranty work.

Cedar Creek also does this.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not necessarily. I would start with the standard fix of a cut from corner down installing a gusset so that it can move a little & fix the crack. Keep a close eye on the area when hitching & unhitching for excessive movement. Inspect the frame from the inside as best as possible for weld cracks before turning it into a big job of removing the outside panel.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help. So...this sounds like a bigger problem than just a simple fiberglass repair, and more structural in nature, huh?

Not super thrilled about that.

Matt

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
From what I've read the best way to fix these type of problems is to have your trailer sent back to the factory for the repair. Here's a video from Wonder What's Next as he had a similar failure that the dealer attempted to repair but only came back. It appears the Jayco factory fixed it for good.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Some MFG's actually make a joint there and put a piece of trim in the slice.
I know Keystone Montana HC's do. Preventative warranty work.

That’s the way mine is manufactured, but you can see the horizontal trim get a gap when it’s on the truck. It closes up when you unhitch. I put a strip of eternabond bond over the trim. Been working well.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
My first Alpenlite, 2006 Lippert frame 34RLR developed that crack. Was all set to do the insert fix myself but lost the trailer in a blowover first.

Found another 34RLR as replacement. A late 2007 build. Lippert frame again. 9 years & over 100,000 miles on the trailer later, no crack yet. I do watch that area everytime we set up. It is right near the leg switches.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995