cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power gear Jacks alarm sounds when retracted

Nick_Howes
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if these Jacks on a 2002 American coach have their own reservoir or are supplied by the main chassis tank ?
11 REPLIES 11

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
T18skyguy wrote:
Thanks Doug your right, it's an Equalizer system on my 2017. I thought it was made by Power Gear? Guess I'm wrong about that. It always alarms if it sits a long period of days on my off level pad. So I wasn't sure if perhaps a jack was bleeding down, but your explanation really helps. Is that pressure switch inside the oil reservoir or on the jacks ? I figure it will need attention some day.

The pressure switch is on the pump manifold block and Equalizer states that if it takes more than 48 hours for the pressure switch to lose partial pressure and cause a Auto retract, that is normal. This is not a cause for concern. Doug

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doug your right, it's an Equalizer system on my 2017. I thought it was made by Power Gear? Guess I'm wrong about that. It always alarms if it sits a long period of days on my off level pad. So I wasn't sure if perhaps a jack was bleeding down, but your explanation really helps. Is that pressure switch inside the oil reservoir or on the jacks ? I figure it will need attention some day.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
T18skyguy wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
I fought mine for a year. Top it off then a month later it would start beeping going around corners. I finally unplugged the sensor. Havenโ€™t topped it off in years.

The problem created doing that is that it wonโ€™t beep at you if you put it in gear with the jacks down. The light still lights up tho.

Most Powergear systems, IF the Float switch IS functional, the system will Auto retract if the RV is put in Gear and Emergency brake released. The Float switch is available, how come you don't just replace it OR make sure it is installed correctly? The orientation of the Float switch is critical for correct operation and to prevent false alarms. It MUST be perfectly vertical to operate correctly. Going around corners and beeping indicates the Switch is NOT correctly installed. Doug

I too have an issue with the Power Gear system. I store the rig under a cover, but the rig is out of level as the driveway slants. when I start it up, it alarms for about 10 seconds then stops. I haven't noticed any bleed down on any jack. What do you think and where is the switch located? This is on a 2017 Jayco. Thanks, Don

On your system, I believe you have the Power down and power UP system. The alarm is from a pressure switch. It is not unusual for the switch to engage after storing, since you indicate it stops after 10 seconds without you doing anything. Question, is it Powergear or Equalizer as the Class C Jayco's usually have Equalizer systems. Same pressure switch set up. The alarm is stopped because when the pressure switch loses enough pressure when you start the Engine the System pump comes on and does an ALL retract to pressure up the system again. Doug

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
I fought mine for a year. Top it off then a month later it would start beeping going around corners. I finally unplugged the sensor. Havenโ€™t topped it off in years.

The problem created doing that is that it wonโ€™t beep at you if you put it in gear with the jacks down. The light still lights up tho.

Most Powergear systems, IF the Float switch IS functional, the system will Auto retract if the RV is put in Gear and Emergency brake released. The Float switch is available, how come you don't just replace it OR make sure it is installed correctly? The orientation of the Float switch is critical for correct operation and to prevent false alarms. It MUST be perfectly vertical to operate correctly. Going around corners and beeping indicates the Switch is NOT correctly installed. Doug

I too have an issue with the Power Gear system. I store the rig under a cover, but the rig is out of level as the driveway slants. when I start it up, it alarms for about 10 seconds then stops. I haven't noticed any bleed down on any jack. What do you think and where is the switch located? This is on a 2017 Jayco. Thanks, Don
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:

I guess because you didnโ€™t work at the dealer I bought it at. ๐Ÿ™‚

They looked at it once, topped it off and sent me away. It started again around corners, it wasnโ€™t low, so someone suggesting unplugging it.

Next time Iโ€™m in TX Iโ€™ll stop by.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Big Katuna wrote:

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

MrWizard
sometimes as little as 4oz will silence the alarm
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Power gear jacks have their own reservoir it is attached to the pump and the jacks down alarm is a float valve in the tank. if the tank is full the jacks are up right? So you are likelyu down a cup or two on Tranny Fluid (It uses Dextron III normally but check the sticker to be sure).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
After two years of using our MH, while going down the road one day the jack alarm started going on and off. I messed with it all day, couldn't find anything wrong. Checked the fluid level twice and it was fine.

Finally I put a little more fluid in it (very little), the alarm stopped and it hasn't been a problem sense. I never have any leaks to lower the fluid level so who knows why the alarm went off other than it wanted to mess with me.

Put a little more fluid in it and see if it cures the problem.

You should only have one tank which is built into the unit. The plug will take about a 3/4" wrench.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
NO RV motorhome Hyd Jack/leveling system uses another/shared Hyd canister. The Powergear has its OWN pump/reservoir. The normal cause of alarm when retracted is LOW fluid in the reservoir. Powergear Jack systems use the level to indicate all jacks are retracted. The fluid is Dextron 3 Trans fluid. Doug