cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

M&G Air Braking System

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2005 Fleetwood 39S Excursion DP currently towing a 2002 Jeep Wrangler behind it WITHOUT a braking system on it. I'm going to move to a heavier toad, a 2012 or newer four door Wrangler. Due to the heavier weight I'm going to install a brake system.

And no, this post is not about whether or not I should have an auxiliary braking system currently. I've been up and down the Alcan a couple times, on most of the roads in Alaska, through the mountains in western Canada a couple of times, over the Continental Divide I don't know how many times, up through and down the Eisenhower Tunnel, down a 14% grade in NM (?), into Teton National Park from the west and everywhere else without a problem.

What I'm looking at installing is the air braking system built by M&G out of Texas. The installation looks rather straight forward. Hooking it up between the MH and the Jeep is as simple as hooking up your electrical cord - just plug it in. It doesn't use any power from either vehicle and you don't have to place it on the floor board or do anything with it except plug in the air hose using the quick connect couplers.

Who has had experience with this unit?
M&G Air Braking Clicky

I've sent a email to the company asking the cost of the unit, but of course business are closed on Sunday so if anyone knows the cost, besides experience with the unit, please post it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
5 REPLIES 5

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
I have used on 2-Jeeps and a yukon. Love it. Even better costumer service. Just remember to use the lock-Tight and do not adjust really tight. Adjustment gets tighter when hot..

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
I have a 2005 Fleetwood 39S Excursion DP currently towing a 2002 Jeep Wrangler behind it WITHOUT a braking system on it. I'm going to move to a heavier toad, a 2012 or newer four door Wrangler. Due to the heavier weight I'm going to install a brake system.

And no, this post is not about whether or not I should have an auxiliary braking system currently. I've been up and down the Alcan a couple times, on most of the roads in Alaska, through the mountains in western Canada a couple of times, over the Continental Divide I don't know how many times, up through and down the Eisenhower Tunnel, down a 14% grade in NM (?), into Teton National Park from the west and everywhere else without a problem.

What I'm looking at installing is the air braking system built by M&G out of Texas. The installation looks rather straight forward. Hooking it up between the MH and the Jeep is as simple as hooking up your electrical cord - just plug it in. It doesn't use any power from either vehicle and you don't have to place it on the floor board or do anything with it except plug in the air hose using the quick connect couplers.

Who has had experience with this unit?
M&G Air Braking Clicky

I've sent a email to the company asking the cost of the unit, but of course business are closed on Sunday so if anyone knows the cost, besides experience with the unit, please post it.

Bill

Bill,
I've used the M & G system on a few of our toads and, I personally think it's the top of the line system, for at least a couple of reasons.

1. There is and never will be, ANYTHING to attach to any part of the brake pedal inside the toad. I for one, think that's great.

2. The unit attaches in between the power brake unit and the master cylinder. By that form of attachment, you will have ZERO movement of the brake pedal. And that means, your toads tail light systems, (Brake in particular) will not be activated when the brakes are applied in toad. Now, if you're the kind that wires the toads original tail lights to the coach, to be used as toad lights, then this feature is a great bonus as, there is no conflict of signals being sent to the toads brake lights, from both vehicles.

3. And, due to the fact that the M & G system is only functional from actual BRAKE application in the coach, it does not apply the brakes in the toad, due to INERTIA, like the Ready Brake or, the Ready Brute does and maybe others. This means that Jake brake or exhaust brake application, does not apply the brakes in the toad.

4. It is a truly PROPORTIONAL system in that, the more you apply the brakes in the coach, the more they're applied in the toad.

5. And as you've noted, there is a very simple attachment from the coach to the toad, a single, curly air line is it. Takes about 5 seconds to connect.

Now, I will say this, if you'd have installed one in your TJ Jeep, you'd see how easy it was. But, installing one in a JK, is considerably harder. There's lots of congested area in the way of that install. Is it doable, yep, it sure is but, it's just more labor intensive in a JK. There are many on here and other RV forums that have done it and might chime in.

We have a '15 JKUR and I've been wanting to get around to ordering one up for it but, just haven't yet. I'll get there. I do have one in our other toad, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I used a M&G system until the Jeep got totaled out. If I could mount an M&G on my current Jeep I would. It is an excellent brake. The only downside is that if you trade toads on a regular basis, it could get expensive as it cannot be transferred from one vehicle to another. M&G does offer a trade in on a new system

mbrooking
Explorer
Explorer
We're using the M&G system. Great system, just connect an air hose and your ready. I would recommend that you go for the emergency breakaway. I think it was optional. They can also hook up a light on the dash to let you know when the brakes are activated.
2010 Winnebago Journey 40L - Current
2019 Newmar Mountain Aire 4018 on order
2014 Honda CRV - Towed

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
We used one for several years before downsizing motorhome last year. It worked great....exactly as advertised. Very easy to connect and disconnect, and was totally invisible as far as the toad driver is concerned....itโ€™s all under the hood.. donโ€™t recollect the cost....been a few years....
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad