cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installed the power lift for the bed

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
So I followed the advice on this forum and got and 18" Eco-Worthy brand linear actuator. The install was actually quite easy and straight forward. I was attempting to mentally visualize the linear actuator working geometrically with the existing struts in place.....then my brain crashed and I just installed it and figured I'd stop it if I saw things tearing apart.

The 1-1/4" dowel you see that spans the width of the bed frame base was installed by me when I upgraded the struts to a heavier duty type to support the heavier mattress we put in. The base was bowing out due to the additional force needed to push the bed back down. I had to notch it, then back it up with and additional dowel behind it as the actuator shaft and bracket contacted it on the way down.

This is the Lower Mount. Bolted the bracket to a piece of oak and screwed to the floor. I butted it up the base of the frame for additional stability. Sorry 'bout the shadow.

This is the upper mount. Again, bolted the bracket to a piece of oak, then fitted it very tightly between the "joists" and used 2-1/2" screws thru the joists into the oak. Very solid.

I snagged the power from the pump. It has a 14ga wire and a 10a fuse. I put a fuse 5a fuse downstream of the control box with the idea that if the remote didn't shut the actuator off it would blow the fuse and not cook the control box.

OMG! The remote has an antenna! How 20th century.

Overall the install was easy. The travel time from open to close and vis-a-versa is about a minute and half. Yes kind of pokey for sure but does do the job. The remote is kind of iffy in regards to being being punctual. Takes a very deliberate punch of the correct correct button for sure and then it still seems to be a little inconsistent with stop/start-up/down commands. It may have worked better if I placed the control box in the living area of the trailer, but I didn't really want to have a new set holes in the trailer and another light shining in the dark! Might just be me needing to get a custom to it too. And, not that I planned it this way but if it refused to respond and was attempting to self destruct, I can turn the water pump off and it goes off. If it up and croaks some day I will be able to crawl in thru the pass-thru and pull a pin from the mount and release it.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
6 REPLIES 6

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Nice project
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Nice, thanks for the information!

Scott

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
Very cool. I can think of several uses..
Is the remote action momentary so you can stop or reverse the ram at any extension length?

Yes,
for example, push button "A" to start the actuator to lift the bed. You only want to get toilet paper, so once it's up about 18", push button "A" again to stop it. Then push button "B" to retract or start the trip down and push button "B" when the bed makes contact with the frame. There are limit switches incorporated in the unit, but they are and the extreme extension and fully retracted. I tried to set it up so it would limit out and full extension, but once I had every thing in place I must have missed by a little. So I just shut it off with a second push of the button on either end of the stroke.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Very cool. I can think of several uses..
Is the remote action momentary so you can stop or reverse the ram at any extension length?

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
Thats awesome!
Is that a 14mm per second ram?

5.7mm/second..............pretty slow, but this is better for my wife's back and better for my hernia recovery!
V-465

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Thats awesome!
Is that a 14mm per second ram?