cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip to Northeast states

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Husband just retired Yeah! I haven't been to 11 of the NE states. So we are planning a trip, leaving right after 4th of July week making it back to Oklahoma by Oct. for hunting season. Looking for suggestions for Pennsylvania, West side of NY, Maine, Vermont, NH, Mass. Virginia, W Virgina, Maryland, Delaware. etc. Will have to wait until later. Any suggestions of must see, or don't waste your time. Will be just traveling with Husband and Schnauszer, no children. Thanks

Okay it was suggested to break down trip. Boy, planning this big of a trip is overwhelming. We plan on leaving going thru PA. Thinking a week two stops to get across the state. Ok then I need to mark off Conn. Mass. RI, NJ. Wasnโ€™t sure if I should plan on staying someplace central to see these states? Use to CA an TX states that are big. So Iโ€™m not sure. Routes to take with RV. So then I would like to say on my bucket list is to eat lobster ?? in Maine. We also want to go to Acadia NP., Not sure if I should plan on two stops in ME. From there head to Vermont then to the finger lakes NY. Heading back to MI. I know I canโ€™t see everything on this trip, some will just have to wait for another trip. Any more suggestions. Thanks again.
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!
49 REPLIES 49

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping - I'm originally from Southern California. Haven't live there for 47 yrs. I think the reason people think that way about W & E Coast is they are busy cities and people are on the go and don't have time for questions etc. We live in a small town in SW OK 3 miles by 5 miles, an hour to the next bigger town. We live a much slower life style and less stressful (hopefully live longer). We have people in this town that have never driven to the next town. Being raised in S. Calif. We notice it when we go back to visit and can't wait to get back to OK. Anyway, We can't wait to go again. So many places and so little time!

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping - I'm originally from Southern California. Haven't live there for 47 yrs. I think the reason people think that way about W & E Coast is they are busy cities and people are on the go and don't have time for questions etc. We live in a small town in SW OK 3 miles by 5 miles, an hour to the next bigger town. We live a much slower life style and less stressful (hopefully live longer). We have people in this town that have never driven to the next town. Being raised in S. Calif. We notice it when we go back to visit and can't wait to get back to OK. Anyway, We can't wait to go again. So many places and so little time!

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer

Sorry not sure what happen, but didn't mean to post this 4 times. Won't let me delete.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Debbie wrote:
Northeast Trip: I thought I would do a follow up on our trip. We had a wonderful trip. We took in a lot of the sights and places that everyone mentioned and a few extra. We met a lot of very nice people, even though I was told the East coast people aren't as friendly as Midwest. We did have our dog papers and they did check them at some campgrounds and Canada. We did not do the EZ pass just paid as we went. We covered 18 states and Canada. Our truck had no problems with the mountains. We had great weather. Thanks again. We are ready to go back and see more! Alaska next year!

Glad you enjoyed yourself and had a safe trip! :C

Yeah I hear the same thing about us east coast folks not being as friendly, I can't really make comparisons about the west coast folks this point in our lives but most of the campers/Rvers we have come across have been easygoing & friendly!

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Northeast Trip: I thought I would do a follow up on our trip. We had a wonderful trip. We took in a lot of the sights and places that everyone mentioned and a few extra. We met a lot of very nice people, even though I was told the East coast people aren't as friendly as Midwest. We did have our dog papers and they did check them at some campgrounds and Canada. We did not do the EZ pass just paid as we went. We covered 18 states and Canada. Our truck had no problems with the mountains. We had great weather. Thanks again. We are ready to go back and see more! Alaska next year!

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Tell your hubby: 123 rolling down the strip special forces gonna take another trip stand up hook up walk to the door step right out and count to four.

If you get to Columbus give me a shout, I'll buy the Col a coffee.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get in here it is a great park. It is also close to all the Lake Erie stuff in Ohio. Cedar Point has a campground my daughter went to it I never have, she says it was OK

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Ohio has wineries on the Lake Erie Ilsnad that would be a day trip. Take the ferry, not your car, costs too much. Rent a golf cart. Also, Kelly's Island has glacial groves from the ice age.

Debbie wrote:
Thanks bigred1cav my husband is already suggesting I just drop him off there. He loves roller coasters faster higher the better. He forgets heโ€™s not a teen anymore. I canโ€™t handle them. We are discovering that the US has more wineries and breweries then we ever knew. And we are originally from CA. Thanks again.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to Thank everyone for all your suggestions. We are one day 5 of our 3 month trip. Cave City, KY Mammoth Cave tours tomorrow. Loved the drive today so green, lots of trees ?? Next stop Wright Patterson AFB, so hubby can get his airplane fill at the museum.

If you have an interest in golf Jack Nicklaus museum in at Ohio State.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a bucket list destination. NFL Hall of Fame is in Canton. Then over to Erie is the bow of the War of 1812 ship Niagra.

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to Thank everyone for all your suggestions. We are one day 5 of our 3 month trip. Cave City, KY Mammoth Cave tours tomorrow. Loved the drive today so green, lots of trees ?? Next stop Wright Patterson AFB, so hubby can get his airplane fill at the museum.

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks bigred1cav my husband is already suggesting I just drop him off there. He loves roller coasters faster higher the better. He forgets heโ€™s not a teen anymore. I canโ€™t handle them. We are discovering that the US has more wineries and breweries then we ever knew. And we are originally from CA. Thanks again.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
There is also a very large amusement park at Sandusky. Cedar Point has many roller coasters and is a destination for many folks. They have a nice camping area full hookups, and if you like wine Ohio Islands have some very good wineries.

Debbie wrote:
We have been looking forward to this trip for a long time. Retired in Jan. Would have liked to not have to plan so far ahead and just travel and stop where we wanted. But the East coast seems to book up fast for summer, and eating Lobster is on my bucket list. I also didn't realized the mind boggling trying to figure out what route to take. Now if we can just keep the Tornados from destroying my RV we will be great. Had a close call last night. More tonight. Yuck!

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
Pa has some really nice state parks and historic sites. Some of our favorite state park campgrounds are Locust Lake,Pine Grove Furnace,Bald Eagle Lake and Promised Land. State historic sites like Drake Well Museum,Strasburg Railroad Museum and The Pennsylvania Militaary Museum are great.

Thanks we will keep our eye open when traveling through PA. and check them out. We have gone ahead and made reservations at some private
rv parks.