cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

San Antonio to El Paso

charming
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving in mid February from Myrtle Beach to Indian Wells, CA. We have planned out much of the route to and from California. My question at this late point, I've read where some posters really dislike I-10 through much of Texas. I was having trouble finding potential campgrounds along the way and started looking at Hwy 90.

Thoughts, concerns? I've not done any serious research yet, so getting ideas.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.
11 REPLIES 11

charming
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great advice.

We have settled on sticking to I-10, mostly. After San Antonio we're going to detour north to San Angelo for a couple of days before heading to Ft. Stockton then on to El Paso for two or three days. I would have loved to do the southern route, but I became worried about how early we would have to leave home to get to Indian Wells on time.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a couple of days at Fort Stockton and it was an interesting town to explore. There are two RV parks just east of town, one has a cafe that was quite good. Would you have time to dip down into Big Bend or jump up to Carlsbad Caverns?
I 10 was like every other interstate, no better or worse.

charming
Explorer
Explorer
Great information. The driver was concerned about the elevations if we took Hwy 90 all the way to Van Horn, so we will probably head back up to I-10 at Fort Stockton.

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
While we start in San Antonio, we drive I-10 to Las Cruces, NM in our annual western trip. I find the road very good and traffic is not an issue. Good RV parks along the route include Boerne, Kerrville, Ft. Stockton, Van Horn, and Las Cruces. Also the roadside parks are spaced about 2 hours of driving time apart so stops are nice. As others have said, use 375 to drive around El Paso. For specific park recommendations, send me a email.

david_iona
Explorer
Explorer
Just came through El Paso last week from San Antonio on I10. We used the by-pass Highway 375 to pass north of El Paso. Catch the 375 off I10 east of El Paso and connect with I10 on the west side of El Paso. Very good highway and beats all the traffic on I10 thru El Paso.
Dave

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing wrong with I-10 in my opinion. We like Sonora and Fort Stockton for RV parks on I-10. I-10 has plenty of nice rest areas and has a little less likelihood of hitting a deer along the way.

Deer strikes are a real possibility anywhere in west TX but the stretch from San Antonio to Sierra Blanca, on any route, is higher around dusk and dawn. We generally do not drive during those hours unless we have to.

US 90 is fine if you like small towns and two lane roads, and border patrol check points. Fuel stops need a little more prior planning on US 90 west of Del Rio. Sanderson is a good stop for fuel and has RV parks too. There is a by-pass around Del Rio that will miss most of the town including the Wal Mart. I personally do not not like the in and out at Wal Mart but then I am pulling a 30ft 5er and need diesel which is only available at the end pumps. Del Rio is a good place to do some cross border shopping and buy any supplies you need before reaching El Paso or Las Cruces.

Fort Davis is a good place to visit and is a more interesting route back to I-10 than the stretch of US 90 from Marfa to Van Horn. IMO
Turret Class traveler

Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're looking for excellent, authentic Mexican food north of the Rio Grande while waltzing across Texas, try El Charro in Hondo. The building is a dive but the food is great. We always get caldo de res or tortilla soup.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
there are a number of rv parks in Del Rio. Seminole State Park is about 35 miles north of Del Rio. At Marathon there is a decent rv park and a restored old hotel with gourmet dining. if time allows, you can go south down into Big Bend Nat'l park and go out the west side and then go north back up to Alpine and highway 90.
there are a couple of so-so rv parks in Terlingua, just outside the west entry to the park. Alpine has a couple of decent rv parks.
6 miles east of Marfa, you will see a rest stop. It is the site for viewing the famous Marfa Lights, a mystery yet unsolved and confirmed by many, including us. 🙂 A good place for an overnight stop.
Van Horn has two or three so-so rv parks, not bad, but not fancy.
At El Paso, there isn't much...most folks wanting rv parks go on to Las Cruces to The Hacienda RV park. We prefer staying at the Flying J at the exit 1 in Anthony.
There is a NM visitor center with parking just north of the state line, same exit as Flying J. Or, there is a TX visitor center on the other side of the road, south of state line one mile. Or there is an rv park beside the Camping World store on the east side of the highway, south of state line. You can see all these with Google Earth if you have it.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
WalMart ion the north side of Del Rio is a good fuel stop. They do have diesel and have sufficient room to maneuver a MH with toad.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

charming
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Doug. My plan is to pick up Hwy 90 at San Antonio and returning to I-10 at Van Horn. We try to do 300 miles or less per day. On this trip we're allowing two weeks to reach Indian Wells. Normal for us is two days driving and two days camping. At this point we plan San Antonio as an over night stop. We don't have any reservations until we reach Kartchner Caverns. I think we can make an exception and stay at Seminole Canyon State Park for two nights.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
I10 across Texas is 880 miles. Let us know your ideal stopping points (closest city) and we can give good campgrounds. Or where is your last night before reaching Texas and how much do you travel in a day. You should stick to I10 until you reach San Antonio, then switch to Hwy 90 if that suits you. On Hwy 90, Seminole State Park near Langtry has a great campground, lightly used. It may take a little longer, but Hwy 90 is more interesting than I10.
Currently Between RVs