cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip from Delaware to Utah National Parks and Grand Tetons

LarryDel
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on a trip beginning June 1 for 2 months. Any suggestions on what routes we should take. I was thinking of the southern routes but then realized the weather might be too hot at that time of year going through Texas and the lower part of Arizona. Your suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks...
19 REPLIES 19

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Dave, I'm using Chrome, and there is a "quick reply" box that shows up by default -- no link icons. But there is an advanced post option, and that one has icons.
Yep, me too. And I really dislike having to remember to switch to it if I want to create a link!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave, I'm using Chrome, and there is a "quick reply" box that shows up by default -- no link icons. But there is an advanced post option, and that one has icons.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

dedmiston
fanrgs wrote:
(Sorry it is not a click link, but I forgot to start this on the Advanced Post Form).

What's an Advanced Post Form?

There's only one mode here and the is visible all the time.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
Since you are rethinking the idea of the southern route, are you thinking of using I-70 in either direction? If so, you will be traveling through Colorado, where altitude = cooler temperatures.

And, as mentioned, get off I-70 in Colorado and travel some "back roads," which are major travel routes for those of us who live in Colorado. For more info on some of those back roads, see my Colorado RV camping blog at https://2fanrgs.blogspot.com. (Sorry it is not a click link, but I forgot to start this on the Advanced Post Form).

Fanrgs Blog 🙂

Going back and forth to irv2 will do that to you...:S

So much easier on IRV2.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's the link -- and this has given me an opportunity to bookmark that blog!

Useful link
About our trailer

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are rethinking the idea of the southern route, are you thinking of using I-70 in either direction? If so, you will be traveling through Colorado, where altitude = cooler temperatures.

And, as mentioned, get off I-70 in Colorado and travel some "back roads," which are major travel routes for those of us who live in Colorado. For more info on some of those back roads, see my Colorado RV camping blog at https://2fanrgs.blogspot.com. (Sorry it is not a click link, but I forgot to start this on the Advanced Post Form).
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Larry are we on the right track??????????????
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Wow!! Another great site. And back on topic, the OP might just check out those shots of the San Juans -- he may never make it past Colorado to the Tetons . . . .

Summer and the San Juan's go together - But so do the Tetons - just hard to do Utah in summer - Crowds - Hot - and did I mention hot and crowds:)

Problem is I Love Colorado even in the Winter.

OP will need to leave earlier and then extend - So much to see and enjoy out West.

Glad you enjoyed those images,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow!! Another great site. And back on topic, the OP might just check out those shots of the San Juans -- he may never make it past Colorado to the Tetons . . . .
About our trailer

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Busskipper, I have never seen that link to those photos arranged geographically -- is that your own site? And are all of those photos yours? Fantastic pictures, and a great resource in trip planning. Thanks for posting!

And you've given the OP a lot to think about!

Dan,

I only wish I were that Organized - not to mention the Great Photos. I ran across Stan Parker's Images years ago - I still will spend hours looking at them, as his images, are the organized ones I never filed. They are filed in My Head or lost on my old computers and Kodak Film in the attic. While I have been to Many of the spots and have taken many of the images - that was it for me - and so I've shared His, with literally hundreds of people over the years with his Blessings. He still will post on Occasion but think he has gotten more serious and spends time on some even wilder landscapes - Similar to you.

Yes it is a great resource for planning - as Stan has an Image of many of the great hidden spots across the country - if you look at the dates you will see he has returned often to the exact same spot to redo the image.

So the people like you and Stan are so kind to continue to share and inspire so many with your images and your shared experiences in the great areas so few take the time to enjoy.

You might also enjoy these that I discovered just last month while the ones I enjoy are of the San Juan's these photos of Michael Underwood, are worth looking over.

Glad I was able to share them with you, the Stan's List really does make it Easy.

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Busskipper, I have never seen that link to those photos arranged geographically -- is that your own site? And are all of those photos yours? Fantastic pictures, and a great resource in trip planning. Thanks for posting!

And you've given the OP a lot to think about!
About our trailer

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also based on the Eastern Shore. Done everything that trailertraveler suggested. Never gotten on 70 & stayed there. Depending on western destination 50 or 36 are our favourites to spend much time on.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
LarryDel wrote:
Planning on a trip beginning June 1 for 2 months. Any suggestions on what routes we should take. I was thinking of the southern routes but then realized the weather might be too hot at that time of year going through Texas and the lower part of Arizona. Your suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks...

Larry,

First off - let's clear the Calendar and get the entire 60 days and more if possible.

Second, is there any chance you could leave earlier? Your time frame is lending itself to Heat in Utah and Crowds in the Tetons, and you are entering a very BIG area to explore, (Delaware and Rhode Island combined are smaller than Yellowstone and the Tetons combined 🙂 )Do you have a list or the beginnings of a list of places you want to visit? Whole lot to see and do out West.

Having made the trip often I'd suggest the easiest and most RV friendly Route we will start in Lewis and End in the Tetons, I'll put a few way points in along the way.

Map - Utah and the Tetons from Lewes, DE - there are Literally dozens of stops that you should make along the way, I can suggest many, but you will need to Like the Map.

We have a family Beach House in North Shore (Rehoboth) so I know it should be Delightful to be gone for the Summer, and the Crowds at the Beach. We have driven out to and through Colorado Many Times (4 Granddaughters in Colorado ) So I am extremely familiar with the route I am suggesting.

Couple of Notes on waypoints that I think are Good;

Morgantown an I-68 and I-79 - No Tolls and easier to drive in the RV.

I get to Champaign, IL then on to Hannibal and RT 36 - less trucks and by now you will be ready for some more sane driving.

RT 36 will be a good road with less traffic few trucks all the way to Colorado - road is not always in the Best shape there - but still OK.

I take you to Golden (Clear Creek CG if you can get in) then out on RT 6 to Idaho Springs - Beautiful drive along Clear Creek - a Welcome to the Rockies Drive 😉

Then I-70 through the Big Tunnel to Breck and if you had time you could run up to Leadville, RT 91 and taKe RT 24 around the backside of Vail through Red Cliff and Minturn before getting Back on I-70 (More Welcome to Colorado) I strongly suggest this but did not map it.

Then on to Glenwood Springs and the over Under Highway along the Colorado - Stop and Soak it in - from there to Moab getting off to Catch RT 128 as it follows the Colorado into Moab.

From there I just picked the bigs for the rest of the way and you can spend your life here and never see it all - Just Beautiful - but you will need A/C if you do not have Elevation and it is Warm.

Hope this helps with you plans,

Best of Luck,

Moab

Images that will help with decisions

Edited the map to include correct route in Delaware and Maryland - also included Leadville and Minturn - MAP #2
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You have two months. Get off the Interstate and take side roads, it's the only way to see America.
Enjoy your trip.