cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1964 chinook travel trailer -- Carlson floor heater

mark_b_
Explorer
Explorer
I have a now 55 year old Chinook tow-behind trailer in about 1000 parts in my garage right now, but we are coming along.
It has a Carlson 108 C propane floor heater in it. I want to hook it up to some propane, check the lines and all that, and see if it will fire up.

Honestly, short of holding down the pilot button, turning on the know to "run" etc, I have no idea how to light it---like where to put in the flame to start it. There are some pics on flickr of the unit here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm86tuog

Any of you seen these, offer some insights? I can't find anything online, though I imagine these were probably pretty common. Thanks, Mark
8 REPLIES 8

mark_b_
Explorer
Explorer
where I am taking this problem:

https://flic.kr/p/2e98RBY

Explorer
Explorer
mark b. wrote:
I have a now 55 year old Chinook tow-behind trailer in about 1000 parts in my garage right now, but we are coming along.
It has a Carlson 108 C propane floor heater in it. I want to hook it up to some propane, check the lines and all that, and see if it will fire up.

Honestly, short of holding down the pilot button, turning on the know to "run" etc, I have no idea how to light it---like where to put in the flame to start it. There are some pics on flickr of the unit here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm86tuog

Any of you seen these, offer some insights? I can't find anything online, though I imagine these were probably pretty common. Thanks, Mark

HERE
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

mark_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the horror stories and warnings. This is a turn around unit, I am not going to keep it most likely. I would like to get the current unit up and functional. Would appreciate comments aimed at helping me do that.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I'd strongly consider a heat pump AC roof unit. I know some loss of the vintage trailer look BUT you might be able to hide it via a fake luggage rack and boxes to maintain the vintage look but have a modern heater and AC.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I remember those. When I was a kid I went camping with my buddy's family and I was warned not to step on it. In the middle of the night, my buddy's little brother got up and did just that.
I will never forget the waffle pattern on the bottom of his foot! (and the screaming)

Personally, I would disconnect it forever. It's dangerous and very likely to leak carbon monoxide. If you do use it, please get a Co detector.

Heres a pamphlet for it: Carlson 108c

^^^^What he said.

And on top of being a hazard, it's a 6500 BTU convection heater, no fan.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

mark_b_
Explorer
Explorer
hahaha OUCH. great pamphlet thanks

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I remember those. When I was a kid I went camping with my buddy's family and I was warned not to step on it. In the middle of the night, my buddy's little brother got up and did just that.
I will never forget the waffle pattern on the bottom of his foot! (and the screaming)

Personally, I would disconnect it forever. It's dangerous and very likely to leak carbon monoxide. If you do use it, please get a Co detector.

Heres a pamphlet for it: Carlson 108c

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Before creating a potiential bomb find a qualified gas technician to pressure test the system for you. Cheap insurance.