cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerstroke History Lesson

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Now that the Duramax history lesson is complete(LINK), onto the Powerstroke starting with the one that started it all. The venerable 7.3L.

I will update this as the rest of the engines get posted.

POWER STROKE HISTORY, LESSON 1: 7.3L

OWER STROKE HISTORY, LESSON 2: 6.0L

POWER STROKE HISTORY, LESSON 3: 6.4L

POWER STROKE HISTORY, LESSON 4: 6.7L

POWER STROKE HISTORY, LESSON 5: 3.0L

Enjoy!
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS
68 REPLIES 68

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBlock - Thanks for posting these history threads. I'm at least a year out from my next truck purchase, but this helps me form a base of understanding to work with.

Seeing that Ford cab suspended made me fully understand how cramped that packaging is.

Best regards,
Chris
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
MikeRP wrote:
Well it was a novelty for us and a, gorgeous truck, I thought at the time. I was very jealous that I didn’t have one.

Deep in the middle of North Dakota in the early to mid 80's the mid 80's Ford diesels were the holy grail of pickups. As kids we would drag race our dads diesels down main street. Put the truck in low gear and make a bunch of noise and smoke, good times. The power level of the 6.9 which isnt even on the radar for trucks today, but the 170 hp 338 pound/ft was huge then, especially considering the 6.2 was 130 hp and 230 pound/ft. They sat up high, great diesel sounding engine, it was like driving Mack. I still love those 6.9's.

I called my friend who had this truck and he still has it! I guess it’s seen it’s better days. He thinks he can get it started if he can I’ll see if I can post a video.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Last, but not least. Updated with the new baby 3.0L Powerstroke.

POWER STROKE HISTORY, LESSON 5: 3.0L
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
Updated with the 6.7L.

Ford increased the rod size sometime in 2017.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
MikeRP wrote:
Well it was a novelty for us and a, gorgeous truck, I thought at the time. I was very jealous that I didn’t have one.

Deep in the middle of North Dakota in the early to mid 80's the mid 80's Ford diesels were the holy grail of pickups. As kids we would drag race our dads diesels down main street. Put the truck in low gear and make a bunch of noise and smoke, good times. The power level of the 6.9 which isnt even on the radar for trucks today, but the 170 hp 338 pound/ft was huge then, especially considering the 6.2 was 130 hp and 230 pound/ft. They sat up high, great diesel sounding engine, it was like driving Mack. I still love those 6.9's.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Updated with the 6.7L.

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
MikeRP wrote:
So a buddy of mine had a 1985 Ford HD truck with a diesel. So what motor was that?

That was the first diesel I remember in a Ford truck, also my work had a Army issue Chevy HD truck, Camo w diesel. We got it because although very slow, it had a high ground clearance and true 4 WD and I think while we had it, the truck was only stuck one time.

I loved it. Max speed was like 40mph. We took it all over some crazy mountain transmission lines in KY. We just actually go rid of it a couple of years not because it wasn’t working, the new Managers just didn’t like it. I believe it was a 1986.

Mike

Yep, in '85 it was still the 6.9. With only 170 hp and 338 torque, the big block gas engines of the era would crush it in a towing showdown. With no turbo, you couldn't get huge power increases out of the motor by turning up the injection pump like you could with the older Cummins (although those weren't available in a pickup until '89). If you wanted to "roll coal", all you had to do was pull a load at elevation, leaving a trail of black smoke as you strugged up the hill at 25 mph. But they did deliver good fuel economy and decent reliability.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on that GM it seemed unstoppable. Tough tough truck.

The Ford was good too. Saved my butt one time. I had a Ford Bronco 2 and we had some Quadzilla’s out riding a two dayer on a hill. It was tough to get up the hill dry. About 20 of us went. It rained cats and dogs the last night and my Bronco 2 no way could take those bikes down the hill. The Ford did it. When I came down, there was a sharp turn right at the top and the trailer would have pushed me off the cliff as it was I had a hell of a time with the Bronco 2.

Was the Ford engine any good?

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford would have been a 6.9 in 1985. Great motor for its time. The GM was a 6.2 with 4.56 rear end 1.25 ton CUCV. Turbo 400 tranny, 205 gear drive transfer case, Dana 60 front end and corp. 14 bolt. Really cant build it any tougher as far as chassis.
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
So a buddy of mine had a 1985 Ford HD truck with a diesel. So what motor was that?

That was the first diesel I remember in a Ford truck, also my work had a Army issue Chevy HD truck, Camo w diesel. We got it because although very slow, it had a high ground clearance and true 4 WD and I think while we had it, the truck was only stuck one time.

I loved it. Max speed was like 40mph. We took it all over some crazy mountain transmission lines in KY. We just actually go rid of it a couple of years not because it wasn’t working, the new Managers just didn’t like it. I believe it was a 1986.

Mike

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
Harsh

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Updated with the 6.4L.

Holy cow, after reading that article and a couple of linked articles I would almost rather have a 6.0 over a 6.4. Makes me really happy to have my old 7.3!

Choosing between the 6.0 and 6.4 is kind of like choosing to be hit in the head with a baseball bat or a BFR (Big #$$% Rock).
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Updated with the 6.4L.

Holy cow, after reading that article and a couple of linked articles I would almost rather have a 6.0 over a 6.4. Makes me really happy to have my old 7.3!

The 6.4 was the biggest P.O.S Internation/Ford ever designed.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler