cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installed a front receiver on my F350 today

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
When I did a similar install on my 03 F350 many hears ago there was much cursing, modifying, prying and cracked knuckles. I'm happy to say there there was none of that this go round.

I had a break in the weather this afternoon and decided to tackle the front receiver install.

The receiver is a Curt 31018 specific to the F350 4x4, My 2011 fits the model yr range of this product I got it off Amazon for $115.

I watched the online video and it made the install look easy, It was.

Start to finish took less than an hour. Fishing the bolts through the frame was a piece of cake using the supplied hardware.

The biggest pain in the butt is that without a lift or putting the truck on ramps or jack stands it was really hard to get leverage on my big torque wrench and crank the bolts to 110/ft pounds. my shoulders and arms got a work out.

The only tools I needed were a 3/4 socket, a ratchet wrench, a torque wrench, a small flat head screwdriver (to stick in the bolt threads to prevent them bolts from falling back into the frame while I removed the fish wire and screwed on the nut), and a dremel tool to cut the notch in the plastic air dam.

The vertical fins go on first then the cross bar upside down to mark where you will cut the air dam. flip the cross bar add the bolts, tighten and torque

The kit

In place

air cam cut

Honda 2000 in a Torklift Sidekick rack ready to go

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags
17 REPLIES 17

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That's one seriously overbuild generator mount ๐Ÿ™‚
Before welding to truck frame I would check if manufacturer allows it.
Frames are heat-treated and welding them is softening factor.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Front hitches just look cool.
My class III broke towing a Homer Simpson trailer so I had it welded to the front. I let a pro weld it up, so maybe paid more for the weld than your Curt, but welded is stronger in my defense. i could hang the 7,000lb truck from this hitch.

I made this custom gen mount.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
more Mad Max than Ben Hur...my plate is MADMAXY

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Ben-Hur
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:

Spiked lug nuts. Bought the truck used, it came that way, wife likes em, they stayed.

I think I saw those on Ben Hur.

Thanks for the write up, I may be doing something similar. I'd probably include some sort of stick to provide a visual indication of the new length.

Ben Hur LOL

PhilR
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just put a Draw Tite front receiver on my 2019 Chevy 3500 HD for carrying an extra spare tire/ wheel. After seeing your setup, I think I'll buy the generator carrier for my little Honda....for local "off the grid" camping.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I just put one (a Curt) on my โ€˜99 Dodge 3500 4x4.
Read lots of reviews claiming it was a huge ordeal, I have no idea what theyโ€™re all talking about.
Itโ€™s easy.
Iโ€™ve got a โ€œ4th Genโ€ โ€˜16 front bumper conversion on my โ€œ2nd Genโ€ Dodge, still fits fine.
Fringe benefit, now I have somewhere to tie off if I ever need to pull the truck.
Last time I had to remove the front bumper to pull it two blocks home when the injector pump died.
My main goal is same as everyone else, so I can mount a carrying rack.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

mi_drew
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job. I wouldn't have a truck camper without one.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Buzzcut1 wrote:

Spiked lug nuts. Bought the truck used, it came that way, wife likes em, they stayed.

I think I saw those on Ben Hur.

Thanks for the write up, I may be doing something similar. I'd probably include some sort of stick to provide a visual indication of the new length.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
TxGearhead wrote:
I finally put the front hitch on mine. I took it off the previous RAM. Pretty snug fit trying to torque some of the nuts.
Tell us about those truck front wheel hub caps/lug nuts/studs/whatevers.
I've thought about removing my plastic chrome hub caps and going with chrome acorn nuts.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I finally put the front hitch on mine. I took it off the previous RAM. Pretty snug fit trying to torque some of the nuts.
Tell us about those truck front wheel hub caps/lug nuts/studs/whatevers.
I've thought about removing my plastic chrome hub caps and going with chrome acorn nuts.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift makes nice hardware, but costly.
I posted picture of my front mounted Honda 3000, when couple of members ask me about mount details.
Here is a sketch how I build it with material "laying around"
I only bought additional metric bolts and rubber pads, so my generator sits on rubber mounts both ways.
Metric bolts are hidden from the outside for security.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Comparing the hitches, on my 2017 model the hitch goes lower as it is mounted at the bottom of cross bar.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
1handyhubby wrote:
Sweet. Where did you get the cargo carrier and how much was it? Just installed a front receiver on my 2001 F350 and am using the fold up carrier which is larger than I like. Thanks

its a torklift sidekick it is designed for Honda and Yamaha 2000-2200 generators. keeps them secure while driving and from 5 finger discount shopping in camp. all the online hitch places carry them. theyalos have a version for the 3000 watt gensets.

1handyhubby
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet. Where did you get the cargo carrier and how much was it? Just installed a front receiver on my 2001 F350 and am using the fold up carrier which is larger than I like. Thanks
2001 F350 Lariat V10 DRW 4x4,4.30 rear, Rancho 9000's,
Ride Rite air bags w/onboard compressor, Tork Lifts, Fastguns,
2013 Host Mammoth Happy Happy Wife!