cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

single axel or double

Silvergray49
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at 18ft trailers. I can get a single axel or a double axel, Micro Minnie by Winnebago. I like the idea of a double axel, but my friend said they are harder to back up. I love the suggestions I get here so what is your opinion. Thanks in advance.
30 REPLIES 30

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Silver grey, have ya descended on a TT? What have you concluded? Many in the same pervervial boat? I know my spelling is poor. Or did I get that one right?
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Bump for reference.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Dual axle will help you immeasurably if you have a tire blowout.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Silvergray49 wrote:
I am looking at 18ft trailers. I can get a single axel or a double axel, Micro Minnie by Winnebago. I like the idea of a double axel, but my friend said they are harder to back up. I love the suggestions I get here so what is your opinion. Thanks in advance.

If it's not a new trailer, check the hubs to see if they need to be repacked.
It can be done the day you get new tires.
It's kind of a pain to do it yourself, but it's cheap insurance to keep it from setting on the side of the road.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
OMG (oh my goodness)!! When did Black Series start selling in the United States?? Their local office is twenty minutes from my house (in no traffic). Very expensive units, but perfect for boondocking. Check out that 360 coupler and that truly beefy suspension.

This is the start of the Australian invasion -- we are finally going to get some of the goodies Robert Ryan has been dangling in front of us for so long.

I'm starting a new thread. This is big news.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
All,

I'm considering the Black Series HQ15 and HQ19 Clicky. Both have independent suspensions. I'm going to tow both, before I decide. I've towed traditional tandem solid axle trailers close to the same sizes and want to see the difference. The HQ15 has two wheels and the HQ19 four.

Aside: The HQ19 has a washer!
1978 27' Southwind MH - Gone
1982 19' Terry Taurus TT - Gone
1990 24' Prowler TT - Gone
TC - Still in the Hunt

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I am perfectly happy with my tiny single axle hybrid trailer, but I definitely agree a tandem axle is safer, smoother, and worth the added cost and maintenance. One drawback, At least in my area, is that they beat you up a little extra at the toll booths for the additional axle. Around here or it can be a significant amount of money
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned both single and double axle TT. The single was a 19 footer. Both towed fine. Like someone said choose which has the floorplan/ features you like better.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been towing a single axle trailer for 14 years. No problem towing or backing up. But if I could get a double axle in a trailer as small as mine, I would. In case of a blowout, it sure would be nice to have one tire left!!

But they don't make a dual axle for a twelve foot trailer, so I am stuck. (And yes, 12 feet is accurate, and that is the size we like -- great for boondocking in heavily wooded areas.)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
towed with both. double wins hands down every time IMHO.

with a double axle the trailer will rock between axles when going over bumps, frost heaves etc and have less jerking than a single axle.

with a single axle it's often easier to end up overloading the axle depending on the trailer size of course.

it's no harder to back a double axle than single.

only downside is when you need new tires you need 4 instead of 2. not something to even be an issue IMHO.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
The op already decided on a tandem trailer and good for him.
Nothing good about a single axle from safety to hard to handle and just being cheap especially in an 18' trailer

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I like the duals because they make the ride better. Iโ€™ve had single and dual axle trailers and canโ€™t remember any bad handling caused by either one. I do find that the single axle had more of a jerking action than the dual. It always felt like something was tugging on the tv when hitting bumps. The flat tire thing is also a factor. I really like rolling far enough to get to a safe place to change a tire.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last year I put almost 10,000 miles on my single axle TT. The only reason I would go to a double would be higher weight capacity. My trailer weighs 2700 pounds empty and ha a gross weight of 3600. I could see how some people would max it out easily.
I do like the simplicity of the single axle. I have been towing 3000 pound utility trailers for almost 45 years. I have had my share of blowouts/flats. I have never had a properly loaded trailer get squirrely or unpredictable r dangerous. If you have to trailer that is improperly loaded things can go south in a hurry.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bigger question in my mind is which is easier to overload. For the size trailer you are looking at it can be easy to overload the single axle (depending on the particular axle). Double axles can give you 2X the axle capacity which is nice.

Plus redundancy is a good thing and changing a flat on a tandem is a breeze with a ramp of leveling blocks.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~