Metric mileage!!!

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
Did you decide on an rv?

randysan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Frank, that's good advice for sure.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
I would be extremely wary of anything older than about 1990. We started out on our RV experience with a 1985 26'Class C. It turned out to be the biggest gas-hog I've ever got stuck with. We were very lucky to sell it fairly quickly, on consignment with a local dealer.

I found out, after talking to several owners of similar age rigs, that they were at the last stand by most manufacturers to avoid fuel injection chassis. Ours had enough anti-smog devices to get the USS Forrestal through a smog test. We got about 6.5 mpg at sea level and around 4.5 at altitude. It's difficult to travel around the Cascades and Olympics without running into altitude!

We found out we loved the RV lifestyle, but not with gas consumption that bad. After a couple of years to pay off our gas bills, we got back into the lifestyle with a newer 32' Class A with the Ford V-10. With that engine, gas mileage didn't change with altitude and averaged out at about 8 mpg. Unfortunately, gas was selling at around $4.50 a gallon in the rural areas of Oregon we visited at the time.

We miss the lifestyle occasionally, but are glad, overall, that we had the experience and decided not to continue it.

Eventually, it dawned on us that very few of the places we visited were as pleasant as where we lived, so we decided to give up the life. After four years, the last of which was the year of our 50th wedding anniversary, we sold the rig - we'd only used it for one trip in the spring of that year. It did come in useful as supplementary living accommodation for people from overseas who came for the anniversary (two from England and three from Japan).
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
Now I can't keep up with all your threads
It gets confusing when you have too many on the same subject
Have a mod merge them or delete the others

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 86 32' that I averaged 9-9.5 mpg over 158,000 miles. Max speed was 65 mph. I got 11 mpg when I travelled in southern Florida...
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I say buy it, if nothing else for the spare tire cover LOL. that's a number one in plus's

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Delete

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
That must be the new math, 12 mpg!!!
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

randysan
Explorer
Explorer
thank you!!
understood ๐Ÿ™‚

randysan
Explorer
Explorer
ok, so i'm not completely nuts....i feel it looks fantastic for 1984...kinda cool even, though i wish i could see the dash better. the seller does not reply to messages.

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped believing anything I read when I saw that he stated that it's a 454 and gets 10 to 12 mpg. LOL It is a really nice looking rig for the age though !
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Click "My Forums"
Then "My Preferences"
Then in General preferences, tick the box that says "Show pictures in posts"

I'm paraphrasing the wording because I'm posting this from memory...
It's similar to this
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

randysan
Explorer
Explorer
what is with this "* image not shown due to your preference setting *"> "

i don't even see a setting button anywhere