cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What kind of gas can do you carry, and where?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I started a thread about my gas can mount project (it's in the boondocking forum -- I should have put it in Modifications). But the discussion broadened to a bigger issue. So rather than hijack my own thread, I am taking a bit of a survey, hoping to learn from everyone's collective wisdom.

I am sure that for all of us, safety is the first concern, followed by convenience and an aversion to the smell of gasoline fumes. Theft is also a concern.

So here are the questions: what kind of gas can do you carry for your generator? Plastic? Metal? Is it drip-proof? Are there specific brands that are particularly good?

And where do you transport it -- on the tongue of a trailer? In an open cargo bed of a truck? In a closed compartment (either a camper shell on a truck or a storage area in an RV)? On a bumper rack? On the roof? In the fridge? (Just wanted to see if you were still awake.)

Thanks in advance for your answers!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
28 REPLIES 28

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had not heard of EZ Pour before this thread -- thanks for the tip!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought a couple of EZ Pour spouts this summer. Wow! I forgot how fast a gas can could empty!

They're great & seal up tight (which could be good or bad depending on how you look at temp changes & venting...).

CC

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
People just love for the government to control everything, including things as simple as their gas cans. Here is the answer to get your gas cans back to normalcy: E Z Pour

Got my parts off AMAZOM.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Ah the gov bureaucracy that decided we needed to improve the gas spout. removed the spout and glued a piece of plastic in the cap part to seal, use a transmission funnel to add gas.

Some years ago I started using ethanol free gas in all my small engines. I stopped having carburetor problems! Use a Honda genny and when traveling do not bother looking for ethanol free gas, but use regular. Last tank is always ethanol free and run dry. Ethanol free will store for up to a year with no additives.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
People just love for the government to control everything, including things as simple as their gas cans. Here is the answer to get your gas cans back to normalcy: E Z Pour

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Those new cans are the worst. I have no idea on who designed them but I would love for them to come over and show me how to use one without it spilling gas or taking 10 minutes to fill up a lawn mower. With all the problems in the world, I guess this was our biggest that it needed to be redesigned.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
mostly an old 2.5 gallon plastic can from before the EPA stuck their noses in the portable can design. The can most often goes in the front pass through storage in the trailer when on the road.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
Rover_Bill wrote:
10L (2.6 g) NATO style jerrycan in a jerrycan holder bolted to my battery tray on the TT tongue. It provides fuel for my Yamaha 2000 generator and emergency fuel for the truck when towing.

I also use a 10L NATO style can. Bought a couple several years ago and can't find any now. 20L cans and good reproductions are available.

It's nice because the 10L can is about exactly a tank of gas for my generator.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't completely use the gas within 3 months, buy pure gas or avgas.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I always have two NATO Jerry cans on the bumper of my TC. The 20L can is for Diesel, and the 5L can is for generator gasoline. I use both cans frequently.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Modified a "SAFE" Diesel 5g container so it actually flows like the old school ones. This is my auxiliary fuel tank. I have NEEDED to use it once.

Store it in my bed height HighwayProducts tool Box.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I'll bring 5 gallons of emergency diesel in cleaned 2.5G DEF containers. I like to use DEF containers because they are in boxes and can stack if needed.

For the generators I'll bring a single 2.5 red plastic gas can and a small funnel. I hate the always drip nozzles so just take it off and pour straight into the funnel. If boondocking I'll up it to 5 gallons.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a minimum of two and sometimes up to eight of the 5 gallon square race fuel jugs. If I have the MH and cargo trailer they get strapped down inside the trailer. If I have the MH with the RZR in the bed of the truck than they get strapped down inside the RZR bed. If I am pulling the trailer with the truck than they get strapped down in the bed of the truck.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 6 gallon plastic extended run tank for my two twin Honda E2000i's. I also take along 4 2 gallon plastic cans. They are all stored in a black tub of the type sold at Lowe's for making small batches of concrete, and kept in the back of my truck which has a cap on it.

I need the extended run tank and extra gasoline because I do a lot of boondocking during football season, and other places with my friends.

profdant139 wrote:
I started a thread about my gas can mount project (it's in the boondocking forum -- I should have put it in Modifications). But the discussion broadened to a bigger issue. So rather than hijack my own thread, I am taking a bit of a survey, hoping to learn from everyone's collective wisdom.

I am sure that for all of us, safety is the first concern, followed by convenience and an aversion to the smell of gasoline fumes. Theft is also a concern.

So here are the questions: what kind of gas can do you carry for your generator? Plastic? Metal? Is it drip-proof? Are there specific brands that are particularly good?

And where do you transport it -- on the tongue of a trailer? In an open cargo bed of a truck? In a closed compartment (either a camper shell on a truck or a storage area in an RV)? On a bumper rack? On the roof? In the fridge? (Just wanted to see if you were still awake.)

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch