cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dallas to Port Aransas

kshayer
Explorer
Explorer
Heading down to Port Aransas in March. We'll be taking I-35 to Dallas, and wondering what the best route will be from there. We have a Class A with no car to tow. Also, once we get close, is there a ferry to get to Port Aransas? What's that like?
Craig and Karen Shayer
Hurricane 34
13 REPLIES 13

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
traindriver1 wrote:
US 77 from Waco to Victoria, take by pass , around Victoria stay on 77 for 21 miles to rt 239, take 239 to Tivoli and rt 35. Take rt 35 to Aransas Pass , then cut over to Port Aransas. Best way to go, some 2 lane, some 4 lane, all good road, no traffic and 70 - 75 mph limits.

By FAR the best way to go to avoid traffic.

Just stay on I-35 to Waco and follow the above route.

You will keep your sanity that way.

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great advice on DFW area. We usually use US281 from San Antonio to Denton to visit Gkids. Getting thru San Antonio is largely dependent on timing. Driving thru town after 9:30AM and before 3:30PM will avoid heaviest traffic. Routing to Port A routing--good advice. I like the SPID route that skips the ferry-that allows you to skip the ferry waiting lines. Have a great trip!

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
You could also at Ft.Worth go Loop 820 West to I20W to 281 all the way to San Antonio.

Having spent 12 years in the Denton, TX area I would second this route. I35W through Ft. Worth can be quite congested; I35 through Austin even worse.

In fact, from I35 in Denton, 380 W to 156 S to 820 can be a good option if traveling during peak I35W hours. You'll hit some traffic lights, but 156 is generally a good 2 lane road.
2017 LTV Unity

traindriver1
Explorer
Explorer
US 77 from Waco to Victoria, take by pass , around Victoria stay on 77 for 21 miles to rt 239, take 239 to Tivoli and rt 35. Take rt 35 to Aransas Pass , then cut over to Port Aransas. Best way to go, some 2 lane, some 4 lane, all good road, no traffic and 70 - 75 mph limits.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I would recommend the US77 option as well to avoid the interstate through Austin & San Antonio. I have started routing around the big Texas cities if possible on, as BB_TX says, "2 lane highways with lower speed limits and small towns." It may take a little longer, in most cases, but it is much less stressful.

Add my voice to that of the wise friends with posts above. We often take this route from the RGV up to Waco, before heading to our East Texas home.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
You could also at Ft.Worth go Loop 820 West to I20W to 281 all the way to San Antonio. I have pulled our 5er most of this route several times. I come to DFW from the east so I go around the south side picking up 67 over to 281

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend the US77 option as well to avoid the interstate through Austin & San Antonio. I have started routing around the big Texas cities if possible on, as BB_TX says, "2 lane highways with lower speed limits and small towns." It may take a little longer, in most cases, but it is much less stressful. All too frequently, there is construction or traffic incidents on the big city freeways which cause you to lose the advantage you supposedly gained by higher speed limits and freeways. Add to that my frequent observation of downright reckless driving by folks zipping around between lanes in autos, tailgating, or using cell phones. I don't route around big cities as much outside of Texas since I am less familiar with the lay of the land and secondary roads are not generally as good.

The road to Rockport that doxiemom11 mentions is US181 at Sinton, then TX35 at Gregory, I believe.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We took 77( from Waco) to south of Victoria ( you'll have to look at a map) and then took the road that angled down toward Rockport, then south along the coast to Port Aransas. Miss the traffic of Corpus.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would not consider 77 an option until the south side of Waco. Mostly 2 lane highway with lower speed limits and small towns. None of which are particularly bad things unless you are trying to get there fast. I believe it is a good highway. Been a long time ago since on it.

kshayer
Explorer
Explorer
Mapquest is showing Highway 77 as an option from Dallas, and no one has mentioned that. Not a good option?
Craig and Karen Shayer
Hurricane 34

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Avoid approaching San Antonio from the north at rush hour. The stretch of I-35/I-410 down to I-10 can be really bad. And once on I-410 continue on it until it meets I-37 on the south side. Staying on I-35 to I-37 will take you thru downtown area.

Unless you have a reason to go thru Dallas on I-35E, I recommend taking I-35W thru Ft Worth. The split is at Denton. And they merge back together at Hillsboro.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Continuing taking I-35 down to San Antonio then get on I-37 to Corpus Christi. In Corpus you can take the 358 (SPID) across the JFK causeway to the 361 North East to Port A. Or take I-37 to the 181 to Portland then either 35 or 361 at Gregory to Aransas Pass and cross the ferry to Port A. We take these routes from San Antonio when we go to Port A for fishing.

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
The ferry is free and will hold your Class A.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.