cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lake Superior Circle Trip

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
We're considering doing a trip circling Lake Superior in July. We have a 34' travel trailer that we tow with a 2015 Ram 2500 CTD.

Have any of you folks done this? If so, do you have any recommendations as to things to see and do or campgrounds in that area?

Many thanks!

Bill J., Lexington, KY
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.
6 REPLIES 6

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Thanks for all of the great suggestions!

Bill J., Lexington, KY
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Munising, MI
Munising Tourist Park RV park, right on the shore of Lake Superior
Pictured Rocks boat tour
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The MN stretch between Two Harbors and Grand Marais is wonderful. There is a pronounced dropoff in topography paralleling the shoreline, which results in many waterfalls in the rivers which drain into Superior. That's why you'll find so many nice state parks along that stretch, most of which have a river with waterfalls within their grounds. Walking along the riverbanks and along the lake shore is a great way to see, smell, and feel the area.

In addition to the SP CGs, there are private CGs in Two Harbors and Grand Marais. Reservations are recommended, because they do fill up. I'd say, pick a CG and set up your TT, then spend a couple of days roaming the area up and down the shore. Be sure to turn in at Palisade Head for a fabulous view high above the lake. At Grand Marais, park near the put-in and walk out past the Coast Guard building to Artist's Point. And about 2 blocks from there, get a pizza at Sven and Ole's.

Wisconsin's Apostle Islands and Michigan's Pictured Rocks are similar: cliffs along the water that are colored and streaked by mineral deposits. I've been on the Munising boat ride along Pictured Rocks, and it's pricey but worth it; besides the views, the captain kept up a running series of dry humor. Try to book the sunset cruise on a calm, sunny day and you'll get the best light on the rocks.

The Porcupine Mountains SP has east and west sides. The west unit features another of those rivers with waterfalls and trails along the banks, while the east unit features a great view above Lake of the Clouds. Both units have CGs. Also nearby Ontonagon has a nice municipal CG.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
Lots to see and do in the U.P. of Michigan (Soo Locks, Mackinac Island, Pictured Rocks Natl. Lakeshore, Porcupine Mtns. State Park), N. Wisconsin (Apostle Islands, Bayfield), Minnesota North Shore (where to start? Duluth Harbor, 8 state parks up the shore, Superior National Forest, Grand Portage National Monument, lots of waterfalls). Thunder Bay, Ont. (Fort William park, Kakabeka Falls).
Once you get past that, there are lots of woods and roads and the tourist-type stuff is pretty scarce until you get back to the Soo Locks.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did that trip in the mid 70's with our first tent camper and new Chev Monte Carlo. My how things have changed.
As I recall, most of the portions through Canada were rather non-descript, driving through wilderness with occasional views of the lake. The North Shore in MN is always beautiful as are portions of the South Shore in MI and WI.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've done it, though quite some time ago, but I don't think there have been a lot of changes. Half the route is in Ontario, so you may get more help on the Canada/Alaska board.
A Canadian thread
In Canada there are two major provincial parks on the lake. They are scenic and rugged, with basic camping.

Most of the north side driving is rocky with rolling topography. More distant views of the lake than anything along the shore line. Much of 17 can feel remote, even though it is the TransCanada Hwy.

At Nipigon there's a new cable stayed bridge that made the news a few years back while it was still under construction.

Ouimet Canyon https://www.ontarioparks.com/park/ouimetcanyon is a worth while side trip, especially if you are into geological sights.

The Minnesota North Shore is scenic with good views and access to the Lake - and state parks.

There's good access to the Lake around the Apostle Islands. Porcupine Mtns is one the most rugged parts of the US shore, but not very accessible unless you'r into backpacking.

Drive out the Keweenaw Penninsula to Copper Harbor. There's a historic fort and state park out there.

MI 28 east of Marquette is close to the shore, but east of Munsing 28 is stright and relatively flat - and not too scenic unless you just like forest. Tahquamenon Falls State Park is a worthwhile side trip.

US2 along the Lake Michigan shore is more scenic.