Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Weighing rv
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Weighing rv

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At the risk of whipping a dead horse, my comment is, unhitched tongue weight means little when properly distributer by a WD hitch.

People ask where does the weight go? The weight does not go anywhere, it is redistributed to the truck and trailer frame. How do we know this? There was a decades old advertisement showing an Oldsmobile Torenado with front wheel drive pulling a trailer with the rear wheels remove.

All the tongue weight was transferred by the WD hitch to the car's front axel and the trailers axels. There was no weight on the rear axel so the wheels were removed.

You would get the same effect if you welded a large I beam to the trailer frame and the truck frame. The tongue weight is still there, but it is spread out along the length of the I beam. You would not even need the hitch ball. Of course you could not turn either.

As mentioned, either you believe the numbers or you do not. If your WD hitch is adjust so the rig sits level and the scale shows your max axel weights, max cargo, (usually a bit less then the combined front and rear axel weights} and your trailer axel weights are okay; with about 10 to 15% of the trailer weight is on the ball, then your tongue weight had been properly distributed.

But what if you put some super gonzo, heavy weight trailer and WD hitch on your poor little half ton? When you level the rig and go to the scale, it will show that the redistributed weight exceed the weight limits of your axel or max cargo rating or both.

There is no free lunch, if your trailer is too heavy, it is too heavy. Folks who are close to there max cargo will sometimes shift the load inside the trailer. This of course has its limits also.

So again the tongue weight of the sitting trailer means little. It is how it is redistributed to the axles by the WD hitch that is important.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To heck with all the drivel about tongue weights....
I wanna know why HP would randomly want to search your vehicle if you are at a weigh station and if you mean people in general or just you in particular. And why your be concerned about that?
Remember, you bring it up....lol.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/19 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.

That sticker on your receiver hitch tells you what it is rated for.
That has nothing to do with the axle load weights. You state that yours is 1130#.... But you really do not know what your TW is, as you only measure it with WD engaged. You cannot determine TW that way.

This means that it is very likely you are OVER the hitch rating.

You will only know, IF you weigh it properly.

Now it is your decision. You have now been lead to the water.
Drink the water and know the truth.... Or don't and not know.

Your money, your choice

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/19 11:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The debated comes down to the tongue weight your hitch carries.

Without the WD the full weight of the hitch is on the ball and the rear springs compress.

With the WD hitch some of the weight is transferred from the ball reducing the rear spring compression and reducing the axel weight and increasing the front axel and trailer axle weights.

Either a person believes it or does not. It may make for an interesting discussion but it has little impact on the overall RV community.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/19 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntingdog makes a very valid point about tongue weight and the rating of the hitch. Just because all the axle weights are in spec doesn’t mean the hitch is not being overloaded.
Your hitch has a rating for no WD and one for with a WD.
For example, if your hitch has 1000 pound WD rating and your tongue weight is 1200 pounds, you are overloaded, regardless of what the WD does.
It’s fairly easy to determine tongue weight. I use the 4’ beam and house scale system. Then I’ll go to the Cat Scale to get the axle weights.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

Without the WD the full weight of the hitch is on the ball and the rear springs compress.

With the WD hitch some of the weight is transferred from the ball reducing the rear spring compression and reducing the axel weight and increasing the front axel and trailer axle weights.

Either a person believes it or does not. It may make for an interesting discussion but it has little impact on the overall RV community.

A WD hitch does not remove load from the hitch ball. It transfers load from the rear axle to the front axle, but that load is NOT the tongue load. Tongue weight is still right there, on the hitch ball. Ad I said above tongue weight could be zero, and the WD hitch would still move load to the front axle and the TT axles.

Read the sticky. It explains it all.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/19 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

rbpru wrote:

A WD hitch does not remove load from the hitch ball. It transfers load from the rear axle to the front axle, but that load is NOT the tongue load. Tongue weight is still right there, on the hitch ball. Ad I said above tongue weight could be zero, and the WD hitch would still move load to the front axle and the TT axles.

I doubt we can reach him, as he doesn't want to know the truth.... But at least we are letting others know that he is wrong, and where they can find the info that explains why.

That sticky has some very sharp engineers discussing WD.

Terry78

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Oregon scales too. When closed you are free to pull up and get an idea.

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/19 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a local business that sells dirt, sand, gravel, stone, pavers and landscaping materials retail and commercially that have weighed my vehicles and trailers for me for free over the years. Usually I have stopped in when they were not real busy and asked if they could weigh and if they charged.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

rbpru wrote:

yup, think of it this way. I stand on a scale and weigh 180lbs. but I don't want to go on a diet. so I push down on the counter and WOW I now only weigh 150!. NOPE NOPE NOPE I still weigh 180lbs but I have exerted 30 lbs of opposing force. WD hitch does the same. It does NOT change tongue weight one bit. It just changes how forces are applied to the axles.

Or another way to think of it. I have a wheelbarrow full of dirt. As I lift up on the wheelbarrow, the force on the rear of the wheelbarrow is transferred to me, I feel it on my feet and in my arms. but overall weights don't change, just the forces on each of the 3 points.

Maybe the confusion would be eliminated if the hitch mfg stated what it really does. It is a FORCE distributing hitch. It doesn't change weights it changes the FORCES on each axle. Some axles get force added(downward additional force) and others gets forces subtracted (upward opposing force)

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Weighing rv
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS